Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

How do you hold your pole?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you hold your pole?

And before I start this thread - Larry, this is not an invitation to the obvious!

Serious question though, I am right handed and when fishing long pole I would normally sit slightly sidewards to my right and hold the pole using my right arm and elbow - this means when I feed I am using my right hand to hold the pouch of the catapult and the left hand to fill and hold the frame of the catapult...

However I find if I use the catapult the other way round - i.e. right hand on the frame and the pouch pulled back by the left hand I find I can feed far more accurately at long distance like 14M+ .... so recently have been experimenting fishing the other way round - feels very odd but means feeding it alot better....

Which way round do you guys hold the pole and are you right/left handed... any other good tips anyone else has found let me know!
    Simon Young
    Admin
    Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
    web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

I hold the pole the same way as you have traditionally Simon.I have tried sitting on butt of pole with pole rest to the fore when you can hold the catapult handle with your right hand and feed more accurately, but have reverted to holding it as before. However, I picked up an "eezfeeda" at the Wychavon and am finding I can feed pellets and loose feed with it quite accurately with my left hand whilst holding the pole in my right
    Last edited by Kingfisher; 7 September 2006, 10:51 AM.
    John - Kingfisher
    Talk Angling Senior Member
    Club Record Holder on Grand Union Canal Knowle:D

Comment

I fish the same but find the "rest out in front" method was far better for accurate feeding but hopeless for back ache, neck ache and actually hitting bites

So now I just feed where ever it lands and move my float over the bait

Eric
      PB Pike just over 17lb

Best match weight 150lb 9oz :)

Comment

I sit on my pole and use a strap to support it, just lift your legs to strike. I can't hold the pole and feed

Comment

IMHO you have to hold the pole and feed, this is in my opinion a big difference between the best and the rest....

If you are not holding the pole you are not lifting and moving the rig often enough and become complacent - I used to do it that way and I think it is fine when it is really windy but you just cant work the rig right if you arent holding the pole (you dont get the same feel for when the bites are coming and the way the rig was laid in etc..)

Anyway just my humble opinion, perhaps some of you others can give some advice on your take on this..
          Simon Young
          Admin
          Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
          web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Comment

I sit the same way as you Simon, but hold the catty frame in my left hand and the pouch in my right hand. I also put an upside down rest attached to the rear leg of my box to support the back of the pole, and 'strike/lift' with my knee. If its windy I also put a V shaped rest at the front to stop the pole blowing off my knee.
            When you use the catty, hold the pouch still in your right hand and move the frame forward to stretch the laccy with your left hand.
            The upside down rest allows you to let go of the pole altogether if you want.

Comment

I sit as described and hold the pouch in my right hand and push the frame out with my left. Strike with my left leg. I only use a pupps if there is a strong wind. I don't get stiff back or neck but a numb bum occurs occasionally!
              [url]http://www.fishinglessons.org.uk/[/url]

Comment

what can i say it seems i have been sensored.....i will of course take this up at the highest level i can get to ..do we have an agm? if so i will gladly demonstrate how i hold my pole it is very different to what you have all said i have practiced for many hours and believe i have perfected it
                In darkness we do what we can
                In daylight we're oblivion

Comment

..... .....
                  In darkness we do what we can
                  In daylight we're oblivion

Comment

Working...
                  X