Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Match fisherman Mate Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Match fisherman Mate Needed

Hi there

I,m Ray from Bristol.
    I am looking for a fishing partner who enjoys match fishing but has no one to go with.They say 2 heads are better than 1.I am not into fishing carp puddles.Hopefully we can form a partnership and learn from each other and even win a few matches on the way.Get in touch.

I would love to help you out mate but i'm a bit of a distance from you up here in the Black Country.I fish a few matches but they are all commercials.

Comment

Hi,
      Thanks for answering.I don,r fish commercials....would not know where to start.Perhaps we could combine our knowledge and become good at both.Might be a thought if any big matches come up and we need a partner
      Ray

Comment

Ray, I don't fish the canal much in the summer these days, too many boats and cyclists. During the summer Ivy house is a good place to fish. Most saturdays there are some Bristol lads fishing the match. The match lake is not like your average carp puddle it's not over stocked with carp there are plenty of skimmers and bigger bream, Roach and tench that are needed to make a good weight, although if you are on the carp you can do a good weight.

The K and A and the Bristol avon are best during the winter when all the cabbages have been washed away. Forest upstream of Melksham is good for bigger fish rather than big bags of small fish. Above the black bridge under the over hanging willow is good for big chub on the wag, just below the bridge is the deep hole for big bream. To do any good there you need to know the pegs.
        cheers wurz

Comment

Thanks for your help Wurzel.I did fish a match there a few weeks ago but did not do very well....I fished the feeder the whole match as I was told there were Bream in my swim.Caught none of them and ended up with only 2lb odd.

Ray

Comment

I've had success in the past during the summer up at forest by feeding a small ball of gb every five mins and fishing over the top with the pole. Also feeding hemp (10 grains)each cast and trotting through with a light pole rig and maggot,very good for roach, dace and chub.

Wurz

Comment

Bristol To Manchester = 70 quid petrol
              [B][I][COLOR="Red"]There is no point trying if your afraid of losing[/COLOR][/I][/b]

Comment

Hi Wurzel,

In practice that is how I fish but when it comes to the matches I think I listen to what someone told me and of course the Bream never showed.The next match is at Conigre.....do you know this stretch? If the river is too high they will switch it to Semington.I am going to Semington tomorrow for a 5 hour practice to see if I can improve my technique during a 5 hour stretch.Shame you couldn,t make an exception and come just once.Your advice is being taken on board.

Ray

Comment

Ray, You need to have some idea of what weight will win or frame. Generally along the K and A during the warmer months it will be big fish i.e Tench,Bream and Carp that will make the money. You will need a pole that is able to reach right across and be strong enough to handle lumps.
                  What you are after is 18 inches or more of depth tight to any far bank vegetation. If you know the area contains the above species then a waiting game for just a few large fish is the way to go provided you are fishing an open and not a team match.

I have not fished Conigre for a few years, but the Cattle drink peg (no10 I think) is the flyer, the trick is to wade out near to the middle, put your keepnet in, plumb up and find the deep hole and trot a stick down into the hole as this is where the big chub live.

Peg 1 is good for chub, peg 4 fishing the eddy good for skimmers and roach, down the bottom on the bends before cyanide straight is a good area.
                  There are big fish all through often caught on the lead.

I have some great memories of the Avon around Melksham we used to night fish the pegs just above the bypass bridge and get a 100lb of Bream yet they never showed in daylight. Funny old game.

wurz

Comment

Hi Wurzel,

How can I pursuade you to come for a days fishing on the canal.....buy you a day ticket perhaps....bring the coffee.....sarnies.Its nice to speak to someone who knows wgat they are talking about.if you look at the Avon AC website you will see that all matches are won with skimmers so no one fishes for the bigger fish....perhaps they are not there.I will go again on Wednesday and try for the big fish only and see how I get on.What do you suggest I try for bait.....I can,t get worms.

Ray

Comment

Ray, I have just had a look at the web site. I know a lot of the guy's that fish. If you are struggling then go and sit behind Kev Rowles he is a fabulous angler and what he doesn't know about the K and A isn't worth knowing ( and the Bristol avon). I can see by the names that frame there are a lot of quality anglers fish and it will be hard to get consistent good results. But don't let that put you off there is much to learn and these blokes have done their apprenticeship over many years. Ask questions and you will get the answers, best of luck.
                      wurzel.

Comment

try sticking a post on reels-on-wheels.org lots of them live down south you never know !!!!!!

good luck n tightlines beastmaster

Comment

Hi

Still no friend

Ray

Comment

Cant get worms?!
                            [FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="4"][I][COLOR="pink"]Team Teepot Match Group[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Hi

I don,t have a garden....rented house.So i have to order them.On the look out for someone at work with an allotment.

Ray

Comment

Working...
                              X