Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

WHAT am I doing wrong????????????????????????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHAT am I doing wrong????????????????????????????

went to the severn again today at Hampton Loade fished just past the pumping station as I was recommended by my local tackle shop owner.... I set up a 1 1/2 test curve barbel rod with a 2 oz feeder on 8lb maxima mainline straight through to a hair rigged size 14 korum barbel hook... I was feeding 4mm halibut pellets in the feeder with halibut groundbait with 8mm and 11mm alternating hair rigged pellets on the hook... I was casting towards the far bank on the river near to some willow trees as I was told it was heaving with barbel there... I was getting knocks on the end of the rod as soon as I was casting out and was recasting every 1-2 minutes to get the feed out there... i was also getting strong knocks on the rod too which I struck at but nothing was there... I tried everything waiting for the bite to develop, striking straight away, fishing the pellet without an hair rig but couldnt hit a bite at all... I thought it might have been line bites but every time I left the bite to develop and reeled in my pellet had gone and it went quiet after a minute or so from casting so something had taken my pellet... but if i struck then reeled in and the pellet was still there I was still getting knocks right up until the time I struck if you get my gest... So whenever I had a pellet on the hook I was still getting bites so it couldnt have been liners... I seem to get this a lot whenever i'm using pellets even if I pole fish on a commercial I can never hit bites on pellet ...What am I doing wrong as it is driving me nuts...
    :cool: [I]LeeTwin[/I] :cool:
    [I]Mr 3oz number 1[/I] ><))))*>

Have you tried Knitting?
    Team Mosella Black Country

Sex is like Poker.
    If you havnt got a good partner.
    Then you better have a good Hand

Comment

how long was your hair and how much flow was there on the river?
      the strong knocks you said sound to me like the feeder bouncing along the bottom as it wasnt quite heavy enough.
      also bear in mind that pellets soften up in the water.. if a fish has been pecking at them then it will reduce the amount of pellet that is able to grip the hook, your reeling with no pellet left might not nessaceraly mean that it was a fish that had taken it all...its just come off.

it sounds like you and me should fish a match... it would be a tough contest for last place =) but im confident i could still take the wooden spoon

Comment

Only joking Lee, The answer to all your fishing problems are. Practice Practice and more Practice
        Team Mosella Black Country

Sex is like Poker.
        If you havnt got a good partner.
        Then you better have a good Hand

Comment

when i fish a river with a feeder rod i would cast up stream, and put a bend on the tip so as the fish picks the bait up i would hit it on the drop backs that's when the tip comes back. its a better way of fishing but if the river has a fast flow on it then it would not work as well, as the feeder will move all over the place and you would not know if you had a bite or not. it must hold bottom for this to work. i have had big bag on hitting on the drop backs, as for pellets have you tyred sonubaits they do them in 8 and i think they do them in 10s? they will stay on hook a lot longer then the normal pellets. will if you hair rig them they stay even longer the fish will not take them of so easy have a go and see how you get on....

Comment

Originally posted by baging up art
            when i fish a river with a feeder rod i would cast up stream, and put a bend on the tip so as the fish picks the bait up i would hit it on the drop backs that's when the tip comes back. its a better way of fishing but if the river has a fast flow on it then it would not work as well, as the feeder will move all over the place and you would not know if you had a bite or not. it must hold bottom for this to work. i have had big bag on hitting on the drop backs, as for pellets have you tyred sonubaits they do them in 8 and i think they do them in 10s? they will stay on hook a lot longer then the normal pellets. will if you hair rig them they stay even longer the fish will not take them of so easy have a go and see how you get on....
            i was using the sonubaits pellets on the hook in 8mm and 11mm tried them hair rigged and straight on the hook same result couldn't hit a thing

Comment

do you want me to show you how to catch em.

Comment

it could be three things....(one) the hair is to long try sorting it.. (two) it could be your hook size try different hook sizes till you start catching... (three) this maybe the problem you are getting fishing with a feeder it could be that the smaller fish are hit the feed therefor, it looks like you are getting bites but the smaller fish are moving the feeder long the bottom of the river bed ie bite. know this is what you can try start by casting out 6 to 7 big feeder fulls of bait don't fish with the feeder, after that take the feeder off and put a bomb on and cast on top of the feed you have put out. if it works and you are catch fish just keep fishing on top of it. then if the bites start to go way and you are not getting any bites then put the feeder on do the same and so. try it it may work not seeing the river you are fishing it hard to tell you how you should fish it. i have fished the river were i live for 29 yrs be it fast water or slow, to day i just fish lakes i have been do that for about 6 yrs now. it hard to fish the river on the pole or rod were i live due to the bikes that go up and down. the rive Avon has got some lovely fish in it, its a sham you cant get on the river bank to fish it just hope that this will help you leetwin all the best mate

Comment

Lee next time your going down the severn i'll come with ya and yes you can show me how to catch them....

Comment

when do you want to go....afternoon is better

Comment

let me know when it would suit you Lee and i'll try and make it

Comment

Lee was you thinking this week or next or whenever as this week is a bit awkward but if thats all you can make let me know and i'll try and get a babysitter.... up to you mate let me know

Comment

this week is difficult for me as well.

Comment

Lee let me know when suits you mate and i should be ok too fish any week/day whatever suits you
                            you know that stretch you took newbies too is it the stretch just off the stourbridge road on the way into bridgenorth????

Comment

Its half way between the old and new bridges.

Comment

Working...
                              X