Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

River Arrow Championship 4th September

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• River Arrow Championship 4th September

All,

I'll be fishing the River Arrow on Saturday. I'm not that familiar with the water as most stretches are privately owned and you don't get the chance to fish them. Although decisions will be made as to how best to fish my peg once I arrive at it, I was wondering if anyone had some good advice which may help, such as best stretches where you know you'll have a chance in the match, best methods and baits.

I was thinking of a stick float and pole approach as this should apply to most pegs (Although my drawn peg may dictate otherwise), fishing castors, maggot and hemp, with a little meat if there are barbel about.

Any help appreciated.

Arrow champs

I'll be there 2, I had a walk along the Broom stretch last weds, which is one of the favoured stretched, and it's painfully clear. The Arrow's stuffed with fish but it's only a small river though and really lives up to its potential when there's colour in. That said, there are some lush looking pegs and aswell as my typical draw in this match (i.e. u can see every pebble on the river bed!) So there will be the potential for some good bags. 20lb of bream won it last year from about 44-46 at broom, and when I looked at the peg weds it looke well nice!
    The match will almost certainly be dominated by big fish- bream/chub/ barbel, and I'd say it's not really the venue for a bag of small fish. typical methods will have to be geared up accordingly, with a sraight lead for the meat with some decent kit on for the barbel, and also a steeped-up pole will play a big part, poking it behind bushes, that sort of thing. The river averages 13-20m on most stretches, so the pole works well here. CU there!

Comment

Avonman,

Thanks for your help. I'm guessing that the deeper slower running water will potentially be bream locations. With all the rain we had last week, I'm surprised there isn't more colour in it.

Comment

It's only a small river with a small catchment, so it rises and falls really quick. No doubt there will be some good bags as the fish will probably be shoaled up tightly, but there will be a lot of hard areas, usually where I end up! I don't fish it that often, but try and talk to some of the regulars like Rich Hall or Tony Bradshaw after u draw and they'll put you right. Last year it was clear, but 20lb won of bream, and 16 lb of 5 bream & 4lb of bits on stick & mag was 2nd (next to me!) but only 5lb 15oz was needed to frame (er.. also next to me..).
        Like I say there are some right tasty looking pegs so theory is that if u keep goig you'll end up on one eventually.
        Pick of the pegs from what I know would be Broom pegs 1-5 or 7-18, the weirpool (32 I think) or 44-47, or on the Studley and Wixford water the weir pool above the pipe bridge and the couple of pegs just above the wier (don't know the nos.), or 62 (i think) or whatever the peg) on the S&W water one below the A435. There's probably loads of others, but the local would know more than me. I do know that the one place u don't want to be is the Trades and Labour water!

Comment

Thanks for your help.

The draw is at the T & L club. Is this actually now called the Alcester Members Club??

Comment

Yes its the alcester trades and labour club. Draw is at 9. All tickets but 2 have now been sold so thats 70 anglers on several stretches along the arrow.
            There is 12 pegs on t+l stretch and its always really hard there.
            As avonman said it was won off broom last year with 26lb of bream. Most of broom is good some of arrow road and some pegs on studley and wixford.
            Its very peggy on stretches with few fish its all about the darw. Theres a few longish walks. C u tomorrow.
            [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]www.astwoodbankac.co.uk[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

guess where I ended up... 20 on trades! That said I had a really nice match, as I had bites all through on choppie down the edge and a few on hemp. lost a big 'thing' on the chop that just banged the tip down and bust 0.16 bottom. plus a pound skimmer right at the end, and spent too much time messing about on the seed, which was naughty in a 4 hr match. ended up with 4lb 14ox 8dr, 2nd in sect by a half dram, never mind! The trades was pegged really well, with loads of space for everyone which was good. how you do?

Comment

anyone got the results ?

Comment

I drew peg 25 on the Arrow water. Only 3 weighed in on that section, 4 and a half pound won the
                  section. Seems worm was the right bait on the day, pity I took none. Only had 4 minnows and they plagued me, they even pulled meat under, the only bait they didn't bother with was castor, but I tried everything. Didn't fancy the peg, very slow moving, lots of vegitation under the surface and clear. Hardly saw a fish top all day, it seemed barron and I was told it fished really bad last year with only just over 2lb winning the section.

I know that the Ragley Hall lake has been decimated by cormorants and only the bigger fish remain, I wonder if they are impacting on the Arrow now?

Comment

Well......drew 53 on broome good peg but a ridicuously long walk my preston shuttle lasted five yards and the wheel gave way so that basically crippled me carrying all my gear to the peg.Fished a tidy match for 2 nd in me section shame i only had one small skimmer and bits for 4lb 10oz missing out on first in my section by 2 oz's. The bream just did not wanna show at all. I know its a noted peg for these as the arrow champs has been won from that peg several times. there was only 2 bream caught above the weir at broom.

Comment

Heard the match was won by Steve Pierpoint on Broom Section with over 15lb...which included a 12lb Carp!!

Comment

Adrian narbeth was 2nd with 14lb of chub of 15 on the studlet & wixford water, there was a 12 lb and a 7lb and 6lb7oz got last in so that lost skimmer cost me!. It was a typical Arrow match I think, feast or famine, it's stuffed with fish but you really need colur in it to see it at its best.

Comment

how did u get tickets 4 this match so i kno 4 nxt year cheers bill

Comment

Alcester Tackle sell them, 01789 762200. The match is always te 1st week in seot, so ring him about 2 wks b4.
                            The Alne champs is comming up soon, not sure when, but its a very similar match, except tha the river's even smaller!

Comment

Tickets for the alne champs will be on sale soon from alcester sports and tackle the match is on the 16th october. Ran the same way the arrow champs are.

Comment

Working...
                              X