Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Getting battered in open matches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting battered in open matches

Here's the thing, I've fished 5 open matches now and I'm able to match the weights with the majority of the club anglers, but the guys that really know what they are doing (those with sponsorship) are leaps and bounds ahead. And after speaking to a couple, the one thing that is blindingly obvious is that they know so much about the sport, how do you go about improving.....

Practice /watch/dont be afraid to ask questions .
    Dont try to fish the same as anyone else, fish to your Strengths.
    Most of all be prepared to work ,you will win nothing if you just sit there waiting for things to happen
    Dont give in .
    Colin

Comment

Practise,practise,practise matey! And not being afraid to ask questions-those sponsored anglers were just like you once,and they're probably venue regulars,so just keep picking their brains and the tide will turn in your favour,so have faith in your ability and keep plugging away. Good luck ;-)
      Team south- 2014 talk angling inter regional team champs
      Alwight tweacle?

Comment

The only way to beat the best is to compete against the best,yes its tough to start with but will pay dividends in the long run.
        Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

Thanks fellas. May sound like a dumb question, but what do you try out when your practicing? I play around with my shotting patterns, have several swims on the go with different bait types and fishing at different lengths... What other stuff should I be doing?

Comment

Originally posted by air stiffler View Post
            Thanks fellas. May sound like a dumb question, but what do you try out when your practicing? I play around with my shotting patterns, have several swims on the go with different bait types and fishing at different lengths... What other stuff should I be doing?
            Feeder tactics , using the bomb and spraying over it , pellet waggler. laying the bait overdepth, fishing shallow, hook sizes, using additives , it goes on and on , you can never stop learning, but the most important thing is getting the feeding right.
            [B]I only work ,drink and fish , I wish I could fish and drink as much as I work :D[/B]

Comment

fish as basic as u can mate after watchin nathan watson and rob hitchens they cast there lines and stick to them but are very consistant in feeding and reading the water but hey hoo mate ive done my fair share of opens and i get hammered everytime!!!! lol be r888888888888 always learn something everytime i go though
              [B][COLOR="blue"]"QUALITY AND VALUE HANDMADES AT THE RIGHT PRICE"[/COLOR][/B]

[B][SIZE="7"][COLOR="blue"]'I.L FLOATS'[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Comment

Dont think about methods, think about fish behaviour.

Comment

Stick at it & whenever you see someone catching more, take it as meaning that there must be something you're doing that could be improved, push yourself to keep trying to up your catch rate. I started fishing opens regularly last spring & I remember weighing in 45lbs from a good peg when 100lbs was needed for 3rd. Now on the same lake against the same regulars its a bad day if i can't finish in the top 3.
                  Chris aka Looney &/or NotOneBite
                  My club - [url]www.yanglers.org.uk[/url]
                  My Blog - [url]http://chrishatman.xanga.com[/url]

Comment

Here's the thing, I've fished 5 open matches now and I'm able to match the weights with the majority of the club anglers, but the guys that really know what they are doing (those with sponsorship) are leaps and bounds ahead. And after speaking to a couple, the one thing that is blindingly obvious is that they know so much about the sport, how do you go about improving.....
                    Keep going when your not doing anything watch em and learn
                    [URL]http://talkangling.co.uk/fishing/tackle-sale/61600-high-quality-chianti-style-handmade-pole-floats-0-2-0-7-a.html[/URL]

Comment

The best advice is to make friends with some of the best anglers on the venue, then after a while they will begin to help you out with bits and bobs. And when you are struggling make a point of walking round and watching those that are catching - then go back to your peg and try what you have just seen working, more often than not its just a case that the regulars are tuned in to the way the fish are feeding and which method to use ... go back to your peg and try changing and then that will give you a chance to work things out, alot of the time its just a case that the better anglers have worked things out a couple of hours earlier than you have.

Other than that, practice! An stick to one or two venues for a while as you will never frame if you keep moving around (unless you have a golden arm!)
                      Simon Young
                      Admin
                      Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
                      web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Comment

Watch and learn is the best advice fella..

Even to the extent of going on the match days and not fishing, so long as you stand well back, and keep low im sure most of them wont mind too much..

Good bit of advice also is to keep your venues to a minimum, 2 or 3 at most, you will find by fishing more that you will not keep up with any changes at a venue, what you may of learnt will of changed.
                        Effort = Reward.

Comment

A good craftsman needs a good apprenticeship, and most of the advice given on this thread is sound. Been there, got the T-shirt.

Comment

Think that's ya problem mate, stick to 1 or 2 methods and distances and 1 or 2 baits and by practising I think they mean, if not I do, in matches!

Comment

Thanks fellas, I was thinking that going to more venues could be a good thing, while still focusing on a couple that I know well as I would learn a lot more about other methods if I popped in and out of other venues...? Nath it's a good point about sticking to one or two methods during a match, but have ya been on the sauce this morning as the last bit of your sentence makes no sense to me; and by practising I think they mean, if not I do, in matches!

Comment

Working...
                              X