Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Canal help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canal help?

I ve got a match coming up on Kenneth and Avon canal I usually only fish commercials so I'm really out of my league on the canal and usually spend 5 hrs sat around scratching for the odd bite.
    Any advice on approaches, baits and amounts to feed would be a massive help

Cheers in advance
    Tony

Keep an eye on weather. If its wet approaching the match then a squatt and chopped worm approach, but if its cold and frosty then breadpunch and caster will be good. Thats the way i would fish it. Having said that i would start on a punch line whatever the conditions. Take some Big red maggots as well and afew flouro pinkies. Try and get some practice in on a good stretch to get your confidence up. Oh and if there is colour in the water you want a dark groundbait for your squatt line.
    Last edited by Lucky Dirke; 3 October 2010, 02:36 PM.

Comment

with regaurds to swims try one just off the bottom of the nearside slope, and 2 (10 and 2 o-clock positions) just at the top of the far side slope
      and 1 right upto the farbank (if within pole distance) as a bonus fish line perhaps fed with choppy and caster,
      i wouldn't like to say what baits to use for the other lines as i dont really know the place!
      maybe a thread in venue advice could help too!!
      :cool::cool:"LEAKY LLOYD",,,,"TURNING NO HOPERS INTO FLYERS"!:cool::cool::rolleyes::p

Comment

leaky when have u every fihed the k&a but yr not far off punch down the middle choppy and casters work over and down the track away from u but lobs are better than dendras theres a few chubb nearly every were the roach are more dif u realy need a reed bed or feature to do best
        stainforth angling full of loving for all ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Chubb Tamer View Post
          leaky when have u every fihed the k&a but yr not far off punch down the middle choppy and casters work over and down the track away from u but lobs are better than dendras theres a few chubb nearly every were the roach are more dif u realy need a reed bed or feature to do best
          like i said pal i aint never even seen the place thats why i didnt reccomend any baits but chopp n caster tight over as a bonus fish line use to be the norm!
          aint fished canals in years but these are the lines i remember being most affective!

used to fish the sheffield and tinsley canal quite alot and the average session would be to start off feeding 4 orange sided balls of vde supercup-supermatch and bown crumb laced with pinkies and a few mags over the top of the far shelf and re-feed when bites started to tail off,,
          loose feeding the near slope with mags every other ship out to the long line!!!
          used to get some good nets of skimmers from some pegs and some propper donkey roach from others,,
          happy days, but i cant really give the lad this advice for a canal ive never seen can i ????
          :cool::cool:"LEAKY LLOYD",,,,"TURNING NO HOPERS INTO FLYERS"!:cool::cool::rolleyes::p

Comment

Thanks for all the replies lads it's a big help. I ve fished the canal prob 3 times so any advice is useful for me

Cheers again

Comment

Hi Tony which bit of the K&A are you on? I fish it a fair bit and can fill you in if I know the stretch your on. Rich

Comment

TonyG

The only advice I will give is listen to Chavey...He is GOD on the Kennet and Avon.

Comment

when he says God, he actually means Buddha ha ha

Comment

never seen budha walk on water........back to god.............
                    In darkness we do what we can
                    In daylight we're oblivion

Comment

Who is Kenneth?
                      HAPPY TOTTERINGHAMS DAY 15/5/2016

Comment

Quite abit of the Kennet & Avon Canal is now responding to a micro pellet/fishmeal groundbait approach with expander pellets fished over the top now. Lots of skimmers in some stretches. I've also had success with chopped worm and caster on one line and with breadpunch on another.

Kris

Comment

Working...
                        X