Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Polepot & Scattys day out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polepot & Scattys day out

We aranged to have a pleasure session last Weds 13th sept after a summer of unsuccessful attempts to find the time

Arrived bright & early banged hell out of Polepots front door at the allotted time (7.30am ) to which there was no answer. After re4ceiving several strange looks from the dangerous lookin neigbours I left for the fishery without him Got to the end of the road & finally got a response from a very strange sounding Polepot ( Gob full of toothpaste )

Anyway after being verbally abused for leaving without him i returned & loaded my gear into his petrol monster 4x4 . ( The clio fitted more gear in it than this honest!! ) Drove straight into heavy traffic which meant we arrived at our venue Orcherton farm Nr Chorley just b4 9am.

The carpark was full of vehicles as there was an open on the fishery. We decided to fish it anway. neither of us had enough bait really & although I had fished plenty of opens here they were all winter matches.Polepot was even more in the dark as he had never set eyes on the place b4.

I drew peg 1 a flier really, Neil drew peg 12 or 13 on the opposite bank with the wind blowing at him. The craic was to start on the long pole line & then come inside for the Barbel which dominate the matches in the Summer months. I decided to fish @ 11m in about 8ft of water starting a good 6 inches overdepth cos I knew the lake had a nasty tow with a breeze on it. Fed 2 pots of 3mm pellets & started on 6mm ringers expander on the hook. After 10 mins stared getting bites but they were very fast & i missed them all

Tried shallowing up & moving shot around but coming off the bottom meant no bites............ Preservered for an hour or so taking the odd small pasties & 1 Barbel. Meanwhile the guy on the next peg caught from the off on the long pole Finally after 90 mins the penny dropped . A change of hookbait to 3 red maggots resulted in hittable bites fished overdepth & moving slowly with the tow. Those Barbel just dont give up & my Preston 13 Hollow came out much further than the it should do on a 2lb fish !!
    Meanwhile the lad on peg 2 was now fishing at his feet next to his keepnet splashing in maggot / pellet & was baggin up on those Barbel. I didnt have enough bait to do the same until the last hour of the match . Came inside fed heavy & caught steady till end of match . I was totally annilated by the guy on peg 2 who won with 64lb all Barbel averageing around the 1 -2lb . I weighed 26 lb . 37lb was second ,29lb third.

Neil strugled to hit bites on banded pellets but managed to find some fish inside later in the match & weighed 19lb. Enjoyed it all the same but a combination of not getting on the maggot earlier & not having enough bait to feed meant just missing out on some coin . Neil said he enjoyed the match & met several lads he hadnt seen for a long time who are regulars on the fishery .

We will be back to fish some more opens on Orcherton soon .
    [IMG]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s213/fewbits/lfccool.gif[/IMG]
Working...
X