Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Fishing Memories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing Memories

Having been going fishing for well over 40 years I have a fair few memories some good along with the usual bad ones. Heres one that is more than a bit of both, its a club match on the Severn at Uckinghall which in the days of coach travel usually meant a long long hike from Upton, so Me and my travelling partners decided to forego the coach ride which were included in the subs and go by car, the story goes like this.
    Pick up my travelling partners and by 7-30 we are heading south of Brum on the M5 no worries the coach did not leave the HQ till that time, we arrive at the turn off track to Uckinghall Pools, past the pool and along the river bank saw us able to park at the end of our allocated pegs, see there were park almost behind your pegs even back then. A short walk along the River bank finds us meeting the peggers out and about an hour later the rest of the club arrive on the scene and our pegs are given to us, I have drew 4 pegs up from my motor a bonus yes, no at the best I am 15 foot off the water, whilst I did not mind the odd bit of digging out this needed a JCB, so an empty peg was found and away I go several steep steps down and still a good few feet off the water but at least the landing net would reach the water.
    Decision time was it to be bream or chub well I loved nothing better than to run a stick through so chub it was, caster was fed at two rod lengths out in 6 foot of water and soon the first chublet was in the bag for 20 mins the kept coming with the last 2 about 12oz a piece. When along came the Severn Queen paddle steamer at full bat, the river emptying behind it, time for a quick feed of casters up the bank cup of coffee and a quick chat with my partner who was three pegs away and let the peg settle, no steep bank for him an armchair peg and hes just found his first skimmer more would surely follow, back to my peg let myself down and pick up the rod, when theres a shout can you take this bloke to hospital, my reply ended in OFF, the response back was its your mate. Whats he done broke his wrist, how fell in, fell in hes at water level at worst he should have got wet. no he had snagged up with the angler next to him downstream, who like me was perched on a high bank, Jim my partner went to retrive his feeder that had ended up in a bush and decides to high dive off the top of the bank, so it off to the hospital at Tewksbury,
    We finally get back from the hospital with about 20 mins of the match to go feed a few casters in we go 2 mins later into the first chublet 8 or nine small chub later the whistle. AT the weigh in nearly 12lbs won it, plus he was pegged next to my mate, 6lb is second and my 4 1/2lb sees me take third.
    As was the norm an hours fishing after the match was called for plus Jims fast asleep in the back of the motor, that hour saw me have around 15lb of chub was I on a flier or what.
    Long I know but its a memory that I will always have whats yours? good or bad.

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

About 2 years ago in early March, I went walking along a stretch of the river Anker between Polesworth and Tamworth, looking for a suitable venue for one of our club matches. I found a lovely stretch of water at the rear of Pooley Hall Heritage Centre, and stopped to talk briefly to a solitary pensioner who was catching roach and chub on the 'stick'. After a few minutes chatting I said farewell and continued my walk along the river. Upon reaching the end of the stretch I turned around and started walking back. I could see the old guy about 80 yards ahead. Suddenly I heard him shout, followed by a splash as he fell into the river. I sprinted over to where he had been standing and peered into the water. It looked deep and there was no sign of him. All of a sudden a hand came out of the water, I grabbed it, and with my left hand holding the long grass on the bank I managed to pull him out. Needless to say he was somewhat surprised to see me again. He was very cold and soaked through. After recomposing himself he thanked me for pulling him out, and insisted on showing me his net of roach and chub. He assured me that he was ok and needed no further help. I'm not sure if he would have got out of the river on his own, but he was lucky I was there, as there was no one else anywhere in sight.

Comment

A quarter of an acre quarry pool 40 foot deep. Dusk and floating bread crust for the sizeable chub that were known to be resident by a few locals. Gin clear water the only chance of a fish at dusk. GOT one which fought well in the deep water, but at last over the landing net. A 3lb 9oz trout!! A local had put 2 trout in, one perished and the other was in my landing net.No question of returning it. Got 10 shillings from a local restaurant and my picture in the Liverpool Post!What a tale to tell my school mates the next day!!
      John - Kingfisher
      Talk Angling Senior Member
      Club Record Holder on Grand Union Canal Knowle:D

Comment

fished match at Upton on the severn, had a mile of a walk, started and finished match by my watch, sat an waited for scales and they didn't arrive walked back to the car park and just bout all had gone home bloody forgot bout little me had't they

Comment

Is that why your pseudonym is (Stonecold)!?
          John - Kingfisher
          Talk Angling Senior Member
          Club Record Holder on Grand Union Canal Knowle:D

Comment

worse was on the Wye at holme lacy the ever so respectful(NOT ) people from caravans opposite disrupted the fishing splashing an canoein thru swims til i lost it an ranted off at em fair play they went i caught quite well after that being in charge of scales off we went weighing in only to come back an find keepnet on bank been emptied away it was light the blue touch paper stuff

Comment

One of my favourite memories is going to Ireland in the Early 90's. We were stopping a place called Prosperous fishing the Grand Canal. It was magic, bagging up every day and having liquid refreshment at the local hostelry every night, watching Republic of Ireland play England in the World Cup or European Championship in said hostelry then after a 1-1 draw not leaving until 2-3am I can't remember which, not much fishing done the next day.

I went back there last year on my way back to Dublin Airport from Cork.

What a transformation, every village has had massive box house type estates added to them to cater for all the people now working around Dublin and the canal is full of noddy boats tootling up and down, the great thing about the canal in the 90's was that the lock-gates at Digby bridge were broken so there were never any boats come through. Even the place where we stayed had been knocked down to make way for all the new development and the canal at Salins which used to be in the middle of no-where now just about runs through someones back garden but it makes a nice water feature

What a shame!!!!!

Comment

Those of you the wrong side of 40 will remeber Chris Taylor, who had a damn good reputation on the Warwickshire Avon. From time to time Chris came on to the cut and this happened at a place called Dark Lane, near Stratford I think.

Chris thought he had got a flyer but was not to frame, but undeterred he carried on fishing after the match and started catching loads of quality fish. Now some bright spark walking back to his car saw a few wasps coming in and out of a hole in the ground behind Chris. You've guessed it - the prat decided to rattle a bankstick in there!!

Next thing a huge swarm of wasps had formed and a few of us got stung, people were dropping their tackle and running as fast as they could. However, these wasps were pretty ed off and attacked the nearest chap to them - yep, Chris! He had to jump into the cut to escape them. When we pulled him out there were bunches of wasps under his armpits!!!! We got him to hospital and got him sorted out.

Shortly after this episode a few us got to sneeking up behind him in the pub and making buzzing sounds to see how far he would jump!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X