Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Why do we fish Matches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do we fish Matches?

A little question for you all.

Personally I have come to the conclusion that I am lazy and indecisive.

The reason being that when I go to a venue on a pleasure bash I can never make up my mind where to fish. Do I fish the flyers or the harder pegs? Do I fish this lake or that one?

On a match however I am told where I will be fishing and this suits me. Don't get me wrong I will admit I am competitive and will always try to beat the guys around me,even on a pleasure session, but in a match you cannot move pegs if it is going wrong. I am not in it for the money just the glory of doing well.

Why do you guys/gals fish matches?
    [COLOR="Red"]GOT Baits you know it makes sense[/COLOR]

[url]www.gotbaits.co.uk[/url]

[[url]http://keithgandhi.blogspot.co.uk/[/url]

i am the same i like to fish matches to meet people never won a match yet but enjoyed everyone i have been in even if i blank

Comment

I fish matches because I like to test myself and learn things.... I think that if you fish against better anglers than yourself you can only get better yourself, watch and learn and improve, as much as I enjoy a pleasure session after a few hours of catching on my chosen peg it can become tedious and a bit pointless.... I think the same may apply for top anglers as once your at the top you need to improve to stay there as there's always someone ready to knock you down again...
      :cool: [I]LeeTwin[/I] :cool:
      [I]Mr 3oz number 1[/I] ><))))*>

Comment

When pleasure fishing I will always try to get a decent peg or fish in a decent area because I have the choice and I want to catch a few fish. When it comes to fishing opens it's for the same reasons as you Keithy boy but on club matches it really is for the different venues, the mickey taking and the banter (and moaning!) which you dont get on more serious matches.

Comment

I fish matches for the craic with some great mates and a day out in the fresh air away from she who must be obayed even won the odd match LOL
          torchwood
          [url=http://www.torchwoodtackle.com]

Comment

I rarely pleasure fish these days and prefer to fish matches for all the reasons cited in Keiths' post and the craic with my mates.
            Fishing matches also takes me to venues far from my local patch, which are rarely available to pleasure fish and has given me the opportunity to make many new friends

Comment

i like fishing matches, me and the bro will go anywhere to fish a match and it's nice to meet people and some of the lad's on here at the matches we fish.. even if we do not have a good match we have a lot of fun and to me that's what's it all about i agree with markc.......

Comment

I agree its all about the craic. The thought that match fishing is too serious at our level is sometimes a bit misconcieved. I have fished many a match where the banter flows across the lake.

Funny that no one has mentioned that they like to see what they have caught at the end of the day.
                [COLOR="Red"]GOT Baits you know it makes sense[/COLOR]

[url]www.gotbaits.co.uk[/url]

[[url]http://keithgandhi.blogspot.co.uk/[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by keith View Post
                  Funny that no one has mentioned that they like to see what they have caught at the end of the day.
                  Good point that Keith. That's because I don't seem to be catching quite enough recently

Comment

Fancy doing a match or two, will have to have a go this year, I believe its a good way to hone your skills.

Comment

Why do we fish Matches?

Hell of a question Keith.
                      For me nowdays the competative edge has faded a little, in that I can no longer justify investing the time and effort needed to stay truely competative.

I now choose my matches to suit myself in that they are at venues that I wish to fish, with anglers that I know enjoy the "craic". Those that know me know that there's nothing I like more than a bit of banter, so for me it probably comes down to one thing................ Enjoyment.

It's also a great way of keeping up to date with current methods and a good source of info. I well remember a couple of years ago when I was struggling to get to grips with paste fishing that 5 minutes spent with Keith at Manor Farm showed me where I'd been going wrong mixing a certain paste, (Cheers Keith ) and it's the little things like that that add to the enjoyment of it all.

Most of the matches I now fish are those arranged through various Internet sites, which as MarkC says "takes me to venues far from my local patch, which are rarely available to pleasure fish and has given me the opportunity to make many new friends" a great point Mark.

Keith, You're dead right as well, it is nice to see what you've caught at the end of the day, and I'm sure that if a few more venues allowed the sensible use of keepnets for "pleasure sessions" their takings would increase.
                      [COLOR=blue][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/pnm123/Smileys/icon_smile_big.gif[/IMG] "Minxed" to the max.[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/pnm123/Smileys/icon_smile_shock.gif[/IMG] [/FONT][/B][/COLOR]
                      [URL="http://petermorton1.xanga.com/"][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]Click this link to read "My Fishing Diaries"[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL]

Comment

Working...
                      X