Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

lost fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lost fish

hi lads can anyone give me any ideas on how to stop loosing fish. On two recent matches ive been pulling out of fish that seemed to be hooked ok. I know some could be foul hooked but im loosing a lot and i dont think there all foul hooked. ive tried changing my elastic and my hooks but it still happens.Has this happen to any of you and if so what did you do.any ideas?
    TRUSTED POPLARS AC ANGLER WHO TELL'S NO LIES.

Hi Bushy, I've fished two matches recently where, on the first one I was losing fish on pink bungee, so I changed to black hydro and landed fish for the rest of the match, the week after, same venue, started off with black hydro and lost one after another . But when I fished my inside line on pink bungee I hardly lost a fish. I have found that certain hooks don't work on certain venues, some fish have softer mouths and a finer hook, ie tubertini, will just rip out, whereas on other venues a thicker hook will not penetrate deep enough to keep hold
    For all my worm fishing I would use an 'animal' 14's/16's, but when I had a club match at woodlands view I lost every fish til I changed to a Drennan superspade.
    Most of me commercial fishing is done with the superspade or colmic 501. I struggle finding a spade hook that will take a large diameter line, I'm not a lover of eyed hooks unless hair rigging.
    But back to your question, I think it's just about testing and getting the right balance of elastic and hook that works on that venue, because evn though you are fishing for the same breed of fish, their feeding habits, skin texture will be different.
    I know this hasn't helped much but these are just my expereinces of the differences of hooks and elastics on different venues

Comment

I would think alot of them are foul hooked or very big fish....

Have you tried hooking the hookbait differently when it starts happening .. it might enable you to hook the fish in a different part of the mouth and lead to more fish landed..
      Simon Young
      Admin
      Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
      web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Comment

Lost Fish

Thanks Lads For Your Reply's Ive Tried Hooking The Bait Differently But Still Loose Fish Ive Even Tried Hair Rigging But In A Match Its To Much Messing About.ive Now Bought Some Grey Hydro And Some Pr28 Hooks I Will Give These Ago And See What Happens.tight Lines For Now Ray

Comment

Let us know how you get on

Comment

Bushy, you and me both mate the times I could have won the match but lost loads. Some interesting thoughts Neil getting the combination right, I blamed myself for the way in which I played the fish so trying to perfect a better way, with barbless hooks it really does give the fish a chance and slack and there off. You see some guys with their poles high up when playing, I really keep mine low and even submerge it to dissorientate the fish what is your take on this method ??.
            Regards Billy Boy :)

.`.??.??`.??.??`.? ><((((?>
            ><((((?>
            .`?.??.???`?.??.???`?.? ><((((?>

Comment

Unless it's a really big fish I keep my pole low and ship straight back and do the scrapping under my feet, if it's a biggy I try to keep the pole over it to stop it running

Comment

Yep same method Neil, with the biggies ship back low and quick, but i really do find that when you have the fish close in and you place the pole under the water just for a few seconds then lift and ship the fish into the net certainly does throw them for those few seconds.

><((((?>

Comment

But don't you find you have to time it right with the 'nods' of the fish to get its head up

Comment

Yes your right mate heads I win tails they win unless Ive been lucky LOl

><((((?>

Comment

You want to bend the hook point sideways by about 30 degrees, This helps to keep the hook in place as the tension is always slightly sideways.

Comment

lost fish

thanks a lot lads for the idea's all worth a go if they stop me loosing fish. i will let you know how i get on. tight lines for now ray.

Comment

Bushy your not used to hooking so many fish and if you have bought some grey hydro it must be knock off

Comment

lost fish

No ste it wasnt knock off it was out of my £50 for being employee of the month. something you would'nt know about you know ( WORK! ). As for not being use to catching so many i'm still in division one so i must be doing something right.

Comment

i hate foul hookers all ugly and expect you to pay 50 quid after get lost

oh right you dont mean that sort soz

the ones at cudmore are nuts anyway never mind when foul hooked
                              sensas /total angling

Comment

Working...
                              X