Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

how do i approach a new lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do i approach a new lake

this season i have joined a new club with my dad and i was wondering how i should approach it.it is 12acres and has a stock of about 60-70 carp
    a good few tench and bream+a few other species.i was looking to pull out one of the monster carp but didnt really know were to start.
    do u have any suggestions?
    cRaFtYcLaRkY:)

A few thoughts:

1) be prepared to invest some time before you wet a line, this will save you time in the future. So spend some time talking to people who fish it and see whats worked for them, basically do your homework on the water.

2) Have a good walk round for a couple of hours and look for likely swims, features that might be natural fish holding areas and most importantly rollling carp, feeding bubbles, twitching reedbeds or other signs that carp are active in particular areas. Its easy with decent sized lakes to think you have to chuck out leads as far as you can - dont forget the margins tench and carp will more than likely patrol them at some point

3) If you can spend some time with a marker rod and find out whats below the surface - try and find a nice bar or depression, a patch of gravel, weedbed etc which will again indicate areas that carp are likely to patrol.

3) On a short session keep your rigs simple but well tied and make sure your presentation is spot on. that process you went through to tell you whats on the deck will clue you into what rig is best ie if you need to pop up over silt or thick weed or you can get away with something more straightforward. Also on a short session I personally would maybe just use small PVA bags of bait and fish for one bite, i wouldnt want to gibve the carp too much choice of food, if a carp finds and slurps up a bait id want my hook to be attached to it!

On longer sessions if the allow overnighters etc sessions you may want to consider prebaiting prebaiting patrol routes and getting a bit more bait in to try and draw carp in and keep them there. In winter anything that puts a lot of attractant in, but wont fill fish up too quick will help so look at glugs, hi attract densely flavoured baits, fine groundbait etc

4) Think about what the carp eat. Does the lake lend itself to producing a lot of natural food? If so you may want to look at natural baits. I spose the problem there lies in the bream etc so a big bundle of maggots on a clip might be worth a bash

If the feed is mainly going to come from what anglers chuck in, or it owner supplements feed then find out what that feed is and base your bait on that. With a low stock you might be taking a risk of blanking introducing a radically diferrent bait in the water. Start with what you know works and tweak from there

5) Above all enjoy it. Modestly stocked lakes offer a nice challenge and make it all the more special when you do get a great carp out

Anyway hope that gives you some food for thought, im sure you will get tonnes more advice

tight lines

Comment

Wait until the weather warms up. A long session without a bite at this time of year may put you off. Best to start in the spring when theres more chance ot catching

Comment

Working...
      X