Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Changing hook size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing hook size

When struggling for bites its the norm to scale down to smaller hooks/line , but when on a few how many actually go to a bigger size hook to speed things up ? I for one am guilty of not doing this but reading the angling press the top lads do , whats peoples views

usually have i identical rig set up with bigger hook and if catching well then drop it in. if it makes no difference to bites/fish ratio, then stick on it. you can always go bk to the orginal rig if it goes pete tong. just means you can swing with a bit more confidence.

Comment

pete tong ???? thats a new one on me Diddy .......does it mean anything or am i having a Ian Hornby Day.
      . and just to clear it up now...i dont swing either
      In darkness we do what we can
      In daylight we're oblivion

Comment

Pete tong , now there's a blast from the past

Comment

PETE TONG - WRONG.

Swinging fish means more time in the water, which means more fish, which means more weight and a higher finish in the match. imo

not that sort of swinging!!!! you'll be on about dogging next!!!!
          Last edited by diddy; 18 January 2008, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by diddy View Post
            PETE TONG - WRONG.

Swinging fish means more time in the water, which means more fish, which means more weight and a higher finish in the match. imo

not that sort of swinging!!!! you'll be on about dogging next!!!!
            Diddy thats just wrong!!! 'Dogging' is banned on most fisheries for the fear of the carparks being full of ex premiership ( Aston Villa mainly) footballers Bently's and Beamers
            Terminaly bewildered:confused:

Comment

Diddy thats just wrong!!! 'Dogging' is banned on most fisheries for the fear of the carparks being full of ex premiership ( Aston Villa mainly) footballers Bently's and Beamers

like it mate

Comment

Looks like that thread went a bit Pete Tong then!

Don't be afraid to change hooks or hooklengths mid-match, it only takes a few seconds if you carry pre tied and could make a huge difference to your match.
                Steve Gardener once said: "if you think it, do it."
                Many anglers are guilty of sitting agonising over a change when it takes a few seconds to do and could really boost your catch rate. That is wasted time, just as much as sitting there not catching.

In my experience, hook size makes a difference in coloured water, line diameter in clear water. So if bites slow on a clear venue, try changing down a line size first. If bites slow on a heavily coloured venue, try changing down a hook size.

And don't forget, as Ian suggested, it can also pay to change up on days when you are bagging. That is why the likes of Dorking are head and shoulders above the rest: if they spot an opportunity to really rub your nose in it, they will go for it heart and soul.
                The Mahseer Trust visit us at www.mahseertrust.org
                Working for one of the World's iconic fish species and the rivers they live in.

Thinking of visiting the Westcountry?
                Check out:
                www.coarsefish-torbay.co.uk

Want to learn from Will Raison and Neil Machin?
                log on to www.v2vangling.co.uk

Comment

I change my hooks when I need to so I can fish for dorking.

is it best to get sponsored by daiwa first or can I wait til i join?

Comment

Working...
                  X