Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Open Matches End Of An Era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Matches End Of An Era

Local match lads and venue owners are grumbling about a disturbing trend at many open matches in NW area. Matches traditionally averaging 40/50 entrants are being plundered by travelling pros picking up the pools money. Downside is most of the regulars are now going elsewhere to avoid the pros and the venue experts never to return and attendances are soon down to 10 or less.
    These regular matches have being ruined and as the owners won,t or can,t stop people booking tickets it doesnt take any sensible local matchman long to realise he,s become pools fodder. The sad part is as soon as attendances (pools money) drop its not worth them coming anymore but the damage has already been done.
    Surely top class anglers can be accommodated in their own matches with their own pools money at various venues where they can compete and take money from each other every week and leave the keen amateur alone to compete against matchmen of similar ability. This trend could destroy our sport if we ignore it or fail to address it. You have been warned!
    Comments please

i think that is silly. but i have seen it happen first hand. i think if people wont go to a match becuase some ones better then they shouldnt be match fishing. remember the top bloke isnt picking his peg. hes drawing it like any body else.

a venue near me had the same chap winning every week in the end the venue owner asked him never to some again because he was loosing money. why should this one angler be asked not to come again just becuase hes doing what your meant to be doing in a match.WINNING. i also think the better the competion the better the match will be and encourage people to work harder.
    [B][SIZE=4][COLOR=black]Shaun Pearce [/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Comment

Not this one again if your worried about competion join a club as you sound like a club angler (no disrespect to club anglers)
      firstly i would be more worried about the anglers that have been fishing the venue week in week out as they will have a better idea of how a venue is fishing .
      Secondly i doubt very much that the reason for diminished numbers at open matches in your area is soley down to the reason you have mentioned , if i were you i would count the number of commercial venues in your area now as apposed to say 10 years ago the anglers are just spread out more
      join a club !
      I want an end peg

Comment

Originally posted by jay411 View Post
        Not this one again if your worried about competion join a club as you sound like a club angler (no disrespect to club anglers)
        firstly i would be more worried about the anglers that have been fishing the venue week in week out as they will have a better idea of how a venue is fishing .
        Secondly i doubt very much that the reason for diminished numbers at open matches in your area is soley down to the reason you have mentioned , if i were you i would count the number of commercial venues in your area now as apposed to say 10 years ago the anglers are just spread out more
        join a club !
        spot on

Comment

Can't see there's very much can be done about it. Smaller fields is just the way match fishing is going.
          Looked at matches in Cornwall the other week and leaving aside any club matches I couldn't get details for, there were over 60 anglers competing in six different 'opens' within 20 miles of each other. I'm sure the numbers for West Midlands and Yorkshire would be staggering.

I think a large part of it is the spread of information has helped many anglers realise their limitations. They want to have a chance to win and now realise that they stand little chance against the very best.
          So they go to their local venue and fish against anglers of a similar standard and share the money around. Sometimes one of them will have a run, or even get too good for the rest, and then they move on or the others find a way to level the field again.

Short answer is: it is club fishing by any other name.

But I suspect it is the way it will be. The numbers competing at the highest level will diminish because many don't want to throw their money away every weekend.
          There are very few who take the attitude: "I want to be good and I can only get there by taking on the best."
          Miles Levy in Hampshire is one who takes that attitude and it is seeing him rising fast and becoming a very good angler.
          The Mahseer Trust visit us at www.mahseertrust.org
          Working for one of the World's iconic fish species and the rivers they live in.

Thinking of visiting the Westcountry?
          Check out:
          www.coarsefish-torbay.co.uk

Want to learn from Will Raison and Neil Machin?
          log on to www.v2vangling.co.uk

Comment

pick a venue and stick with it for a season then you should be a venue expert

Comment

pick a venue and stick with it for a season then you should be a venue expert

As they say practise makes perfect.

But dont forget a good angler will go to venue he as not seen before and still wipe the floor with you,because hes done is home work, got the info before hand.

Its been going on for years.

But do know 3 blokes who where asked to stay away (3 different venues) as the others had said they would stay away if they kept coming, to me sour grapes, get out there and knock them off there pedestal
              Last edited by ridgeacre; 23 January 2008, 06:01 PM.

Comment

right approach

why not try talking to the anglers that are doing the damage every week.
                with the right approach most anglers are happy to help
                the key words being the right approach, have a chat at the end of a match, dont go bumbling over part way thro and start asking questions.
                thats just gonna get their backs up and put you at the bottom of the info sharing list.
                but just remember the door swings both ways so once you have got the info and mastered the venue, be happy to help others providing they use the right approach:
                everything louder than everything else:D

Comment

Originally posted by ridgeacre View Post
                  But do know 3 blokes who where asked to stay away (3 different venues) as the others had said they would stay away if they kept coming, to me sour grapes, get out there and knock them off there pedestal
                  spot on

Comment

Thanks for the response lads although for the blind amongst you can i suggest specsavers or grownup pills. If u read the post again u will see that its the individual and the effect on the match turnouts and venues etc thats the problem. Ours must be the only sport where we encourage professionally sponsored match anglers to help themselves to our hard earned cash and still think thats ok coz we get to compete against them. How often would you play Phil Taylor at darts for £25 a game and still think its fun . Get real coz in any other walk of life it would be regarded as illegal or hustling.
                    I cant commit the time to fish Nationals any more or anywhere near as many opens as i used to fish but i still worry about the long term future of our sport and don,t knock club fishing its where the current England team learnt their craft.
                    The person who first expressed his concern to me about this trend has won often and recently on the open circuit and switched venues coz attendances plummeted.

Comment

Silly

[QUOTE=shaunPearce;31880]i think that is silly. but i have seen it happen first hand. i think if people wont go to a match becuase some ones better then they shouldnt be match fishing. remember the top bloke isnt picking his peg. hes drawing it like any body else.

a venue near me had the same chap winning every week in the end the venue owner asked him never to some again because he was loosing money. why should this one angler be asked not to come again just becuase hes doing what your meant to be doing in a match.WINNING. i also think the better the competion the better the match will be and encourage people to work harder
                      Last edited by robbosoul; 23 January 2008, 11:06 PM. Reason: reply to wrong member

Comment

sorry dont follow?

Comment

As a general comment,
                          I can't see how you reach a happy medium with this one when there are (in the main) two types of matchmen - the almost every weekend & the casual.... neither being right or wrong but both enjoy match fishing.

Robbosoul, you're Phil Taylor analogy is bang on. I was thinking along a similar line but using sprinters - someone in a local athletic club might think it a privelege to run against Linford Christie one weekend (showing my age now) but would they pay to run against him every week ? knowing he has a natural talent & able to train far more frequently. Trouble is if that is the only event in the area do you cough up & take part or miss out ???

The other side of the coin is that these open matches are optional, if you don't like the odds don't fish them... I don't. And like most, it ain't the actual cost... I if it went to charity I'd fish a lot more.

As your original point was apparently about the fishery owner losing business, why don't you suggest a glory only open match. Whereby all you pay is the pegging fee & all the winner gets is a pat on the back. That way no one turns up just for the money & the fishery owner might find there is so much interest from the matchman that he is turning anglers away.

Comment

As a general comment,
                            I can't see how you reach a happy medium with this one when there are (in the main) two types of matchmen - the almost every weekend & the casual.... neither being right or wrong but both enjoy match fishing.

Robbosoul, you're Phil Taylor analogy is bang on. I was thinking along a similar line but using sprinters - someone in a local athletic club might think it a privelege to run against Linford Christie one weekend (showing my age now) but would they pay to run against him every week ? knowing he has a natural talent & able to train far more frequently. Trouble is if that is the only event in the area do you cough up & take part or miss out ???

The other side of the coin is that these open matches are optional, if you don't like the odds don't fish them... I don't. And like most, it ain't the actual cost... if it went to charity I'd fish a lot more.

As your original point was apparently about the fishery owner losing business, why don't you suggest a 'glory only' open match. Whereby all you pay is the pegging fee & all the winner gets is a pat on the back & a smile. That way no one turns up just for the money & the fishery owner might find there is so much interest from the matchman that he is filling every peg !

Comment

There are certain venues that will not allow Daiwa Dorking anglers to book onto their opens for the exact reasons discussed here, I know a few of the Dorking lads aren't very happy with that but there are plenty of other venues for them to fish.

I reckon that the main problem is that loads of the commecials are very uniform and therefore a venue expert can win from alot of pegs - people would still go if they thought they stood a chance if they drew a flyer peg then they could beat the big names - they don't mind still going if there is still some chance of winning however small!
                              Simon Young
                              Admin
                              Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
                              web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Comment

Working...
                              X