Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Colder weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colder weather

Hi All
    Now that the colder weather has arrived in the south (I know we are softies down here) what would be a reasonable ploy on a club lake that holds Carp Bream Tench Roach and perch.
    My own feeling is to forget the groundbait approach and go for a maggot feeder and perhaps an inside line fed with pellet.
    What do you all think?
    Les
    Garbolino Super Legion - a great pole - it is for me anyway

Bloodworm and joker allowed Les?

If not maggot feeder is normally the way forwards - but one tip I would give you is to drill our the holes in your maggot feeders too twice as big as they are to start with and cast more regularly than you would normally... the bigger holes help the gits come out quicker allowing you to get more bait out there quicker than others in your match!
    Simon Young
    Admin
    Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
    web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Comment

Its also getting to chopped worm and caster time - so for the inside line I would probably go for that!
      Simon Young
      Admin
      Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
      web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Comment

Hi Simon
        Not Allowed B&J you may be right about the worm and caster approach though.
        Les

Comment

What about sweetcorn on a bomb rig, feed nothing and cast around your swim see if you can locate any feeding fish, remember that they may not be on the deck either, bread flake on the z rig is also another approach just keep on varying the length of tail to see if they are up off the deck.

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

Comment

On many lakes the bigger fish will still feed comfortably on the pole line as long as you taper the feed down. Hemp and corn or caster and corn are two of the better options if you are after lumps.

But as daft as it sounds, I've done ok on some commercials by just fishing the humble maggot on both the pole and the bomb. Surprising what you can catch on a maggot in the winter.

But with the temps as they are at the mo, you can still throw a bit of bait at them IMO. They will feed over gbait on our lakes, well into November, we just reduce the feed content of the mix.

If the lake is gin clear, then bread punch is great for carp, tench and skimmers during the winter. Very under rated as a big fish bait.

Comment

Hi All
              Well I gave your colder methods a go and caught naff all except a few roach and perch.
              I hadn't realised that the water level had risen via the water table by at least 18" this probably put the fish off.
              Still there is always next week on the Thames near Windsor at Boveney.
              Long live bronze maggots!
              Les

Comment

If your on the Thames its hemp and caster time.

Comment

Working...
                X