Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

First Carp!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Carp!!!

I just had to share this with you all ...... I'm very new to this angling past time and really only started this summer. Last week my partner and I went to a proper venue rather than the canal. We caught a few between us ....... she landed a nice barbel (apparently!) and then lost a large carp that stole the rig off the end of the pole!!
    I had a few tench and roach, but nothing to brag about.

Yesterday, we decided to return to the venue ... Peatling Pools in Leicestershire, for another go. Set up on the middle lake and sat for a few hours. There were plenty of fish out there, but others were catching them. We decided to move to a small pool for a couple of hours before packing up.

We baited using sweetcorn (Mr. Tesco's finest at 17 pence a can!!) and stirred up some fish ..... so off we went fisning under a tree.

Anyway, I landed a good sized Carp followed by a Tench and then Partner landed what must have been a good 7 or 8 pound Mirror Carp from literally a foot off the bank soon followed by an even bigger one!! I then moved to a spot next to some weeds ......... and dragged a real big lad out. I can only guess the weight at a good 10 pounds.

We were so happy last night that our complete inexperience could bring such good results. Even the owner was impressed!!

All in all, a really good day and some cracking photo's to show off!!
    [FONT="Fixedsys"][COLOR="Blue"]Never drink river water ...... fish have sex in it .......[/COLOR][/FONT]

Glad you enjoyed your day, you can post photographs on this site, by using the image tool above where you are posting, the image has to be uploaded to the web via Photobucket ( Free Image and Video Hosting - Photo Image Hosting Site : Photobucket.com ) or similar photo storage provider.

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

Comment

Well done to you and your partner, keep at it
      [COLOR="Magenta"][B][FONT="Arial Black"]The Minx[/FONT][/B][/COLOR]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/GemmaD/Banners/sig2.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Well, if it's worked, here's me with the first Carp I've ever met up close and personal!!

I don't have any scales yet, so would appreciate some estimates of weight if possible!!

[FONT="Fixedsys"][COLOR="Blue"]Never drink river water ...... fish have sex in it .......[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

And here's my Partner with her monster catch!

Comment

Well done, congratulations. Sums up what fishings all about, keep at it!

Comment

Your fish looks like its around the 8lb mark as it does not have much belly, its always is bit of a guess beceause you cant see the thickness but still a nice fish for a first outing.
              Whilst I know your young lady may not be happy holding a fish, its better not to use a cloth be it wet or dry as it removes the protective slime again a lot of waters would ban the use of towels. Perhaps it might be best to have a piccy taken with the fish layed on the un hooking mat untill she is happy with handling a large fish.

Comment

Again thanks for the advice ........ our naivity shows as we didn't realise that a towel is a bad idea ..... all part of the learning process though!!

To be fair, she dropped the first one as it was really slippery, and we didn't realise just how difficult the fish that size are to get hold of!
                There is a picture of her hugging a tench ........ smaller and less slimy!!!

Comment

No problems thats what we are here for, mind you she probably did not want to slime her fleece, as opposed to us blokes who need to be covered so everyone can see we have had a good day . Handling a big fish can be a bit akward to start off with, a good tip is to stick a thumb in the mouth of a carp it will often suck on it and make holding it easier.

Comment

She wasn't too fussed about messing up the fleece ..... it's mine!!!

I'll have to try the thumb in mouth technique ...... thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X