Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Wanting to start Match Fishing Derby area???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanting to start Match Fishing Derby area???

Hi there folks please forgive my ignorance but i am looking to start Match fishing but i haven't a clue where to start?

I live in Derby and I am not a part of any clubs and go mainly on commercials.
    I have tried the obvious local clubs such as Coopers and The Bridge (Shelton Lock) who seem to be full with members.

Im hoping there will be a few people on here that know the area and could recommend any clubs or Pubs (with clubs) that are needing members?

A chap at my local shop said to try the Opens! but without travelling to every commercial to check if Opens are on or not? is there any place that this information is easier to come by?

Any other advice will be greatly appreciated as im clueless on the subject.

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by cladfest View Post
    Hi there folks please forgive my ignorance but i am looking to start Match fishing but i haven't a clue where to start?

I have tried the obvious local clubs such as Coopers and The Bridge (Shelton Lock) who seem to be full with members.

Im hoping there will be a few people on here that know the area and could recommend any clubs or Pubs (with clubs) that are needing members?

A chap at my local shop said to try the Opens! but without travelling to every commercial to check if Opens are on or not? is there any place that this information is easier to come by?

Thanks in advance.
    Hi mate

I can't help recommend a club I'm afraid, but I would say definitely DON'T start match fishing by entering opens, or you risk becoming disheartened pretty quickly. The open match scene can be pretty brutal, and you'll find yourself fishing against some of the best anglers in the area, if not the country, and venue experts who will be extremely hard to compete against. Start off fishing club matches where the scene is generally a lot friendlier, and get used to fishing matches before entering opens. You will learn loads fishing with a club and the banter is usually brilliant.

Good luck!
    Steve

Comment

I'd agree with the above, open matches can be a very expensive way of getting involved but theres open matches and then theres open matches, go to a popular water that's got a lot of pegs and good turn outs and you'll be fishing against a lot of good lads that know the place inside out, it maybe a very long time before you see any sort of return but in any area there'll be smaller matches, 25-30 peggers on small fisheries where generally it's the same anglers turning up every week, these sort of matches tend to be a little less competitive, that's not to say their easier to win but generally, 1 or 2 methods and baits will win through certain times of the year so it's not hard to work out what you want to be doing, if you can find somewhere that's close enough so you can go and get a bit of practise in of an evening or weekend when theres no match that's even better, set your stall out to fish that venue week in week out, except the fact that for the first few matches your not going to do much and you'll be alright.
      often these smaller matches aren't advertised anywhere so it might be a case of having a run round your local fisheries on a Saturday just to ask what matches they run and when?

Comment

Thanks in advance.
        I'm from Derby too and looking to join a club

Have you had a look at Pride of Derby?

What clubs have you tried?

Carlos

Comment

Do you want a Saturday or Sunday club Sundays long eaton Vic have a decent match programme and are based obviously long eaton or I belong to a club called Trident who fish Saturdays and there programme is due to start in march fish hemmington , robins wood, hacketts + a few river and canal matches . Let me know if your interested in either

Comment

Thanks for the advice regarding the Opens and i think your right its probably too much to start with from what you have both said.

Comment

I have emailed the chap at the Pride of Derby Carlos and i will let you know what he says, there looks like a good selection of Lakes along with stretches of River and Canal although i do prefer the Lakes.

I have tried Coopers but they are full also the Bridge is easy enough to apply but the chap at the tackle shop says he didn't think i would be able to get in for some reason.

All the Pub leagues seem to have disappeared and i thought that would be better to start with but cant seem to find any local.

Comment

Thanks for the info ADSK ive checked out the Vic looks good is there a website for Trident? i will have a think about it and let you know.

Many Tanks

Comment

No website for trident I,m afraid mate about 15 members fishing local on Saturdays well spread payouts

Comment

I have emailed the chap at the Pride of Derby Carlos and i will let you know what he says, there looks like a good selection of Lakes along with stretches of River and Canal although i do prefer the Lakes.

I have tried Coopers but they are full also the Bridge is easy enough to apply but the chap at the tackle shop says he didn't think i would be able to get in for some reason.

All the Pub leagues seem to have disappeared and i thought that would be better to start with but cant seem to find any local.
                    I emailed yesterday and got a reply, pride don't organise matches!

Derby railway also emailed and they host matches!

Carlos

Comment

Thanks Carlos got the email back today bloody hard work

Comment

You have a pm mate

Comment

Ask Albury bridge tackle long eaton worth trying he fished for long eaton vic
                          [URL]http://talkangling.co.uk/fishing/tackle-sale/61600-high-quality-chianti-style-handmade-pole-floats-0-2-0-7-a.html[/URL]

Comment

used to fish with a club call earl manvers in Nottingham, at the time they were a big club who ran a match every sunday through the season 40-50 peggers, I'm going back a long time and most of their matches were on rivers then but I did hear not so long back that they now fish commercials 20-30 pegs, as I say it was a long time ago but it was a great club to be involved in, maybe worth looking them up?

Comment

Nathans Tackle or Mill Tackle should help as both in derby

Comment

Working...
                              X