Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Using Your Pole?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Your Pole?

Hi,

I have been fishing at a local carp lake and its been fishing well on my pole, but i was wondering would you say you HAVE to use the full length of your pole i.e all the sections together and the butt connected as well? i was trying to find out what this other angler was doing as he was on the pole on the other side on a different peg catching loads

Gadz

Gadz,

The best bit of advice I can give you is to go to your local venue and watch other anglers. If you go there and people are catching fish just first ask them if they wouldnt mind you watching for a bit as you are new to pole fishing and want to learn about it. Most anglers I'm sure wouldnt mind you watching them... then if they get chatting to you a bit just ask them if they would explain a little about their rigs and feeding.

If you do this for a couple of weeks and speak to three or four different anglers without making a nuisance of yourself you will learn more than you could in a couple of years fishing on your own.... then also try asking at the local tackle shop for some advice...

To answer your question - no you certainly dont have to fish the full length of your pole - it is more important to fish where the fish are feeding most confidently.. often very close in on commercial carp fisheries.

Tight lines.
    Simon Young
    Admin
    Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
    web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Comment

Can only echo what Simon has already stated, however, as you are new to pole fishing start off at a distance you are comfortable with and add another section once you feel confident in what you are doing at the shorter length.

It is no good having a 16m pole if you cannot hold it at that length.
      [COLOR="Red"]GOT Baits you know it makes sense[/COLOR]

[url]www.gotbaits.co.uk[/url]

[[url]http://keithgandhi.blogspot.co.uk/[/url]

Comment

where i fish, ive seen my mates pull out nice carp and other fish 2ft out using just the end section...

im starting my 1st ever pole session saturday

Comment

Just watch where and how other anglers who are catching are fishing

Comment

Yeah, so you all rekon close in on fisheries ..im sure i didnt see a angler using the full length of the pole. Itryed having a little sneek i think i saw like 2 sections off? :d

Gadz

Comment

My theory is that if they are hungry, they will come to the feed where evr you put it , if they aint, you wont catch em anyway
              The usual distance is 11 meters, if you plumb about on that line you will usually find a hollow, where the bait has been dropped in and the fish have been digging about. They will be used to finding food there
              Last edited by polepot; 31 October 2006, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Carp will patrol the margins and will often be there most of the day, afterall it where we often tip unused bait at the end of a session, they will also sit underneath a platform mopping up bits of bait that fall there whilst you feed your peg. Some anglers will feed nothing but have a look straight away down the margins, whilst letting a longer line settle after the initial feed, me I like to start long and drip feed the margins to get them settled, normally at least an hour before having a look.

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

Comment

What about like carp on a canal do they come close in i doubt they would on a canal....

Comment

On a canal with a towpath I think they would patrol the far bank, or any features they could hind in. These carp are usually harder to catch than comercial carp, plus they fight harder. the ones i have hit have shot off along the far wall and like a race horse against the rails, they take some stopping

Comment

You are looking at significantly different tactics on a canal and its features that you look for, like overhanging trees, weed beds, moored boats, being good examples, trees rarely grow on the towpath side remember barges used to be horsedrawn, permanantly moored boats are always on the far bank, and weed beds are easier to remove from the topwpath side of a canal so its likely that the best features are on the far bank. Having said that the carp guys will set up at least two rods and you can bet that one will be down the side, again because excess bait is normallly tipped in there, you can bet that fish will patrol the nearside late in the day and during night time. Remember also that carp on the canals tend to be a lot bigger fish than the commercials, and the approach to catching them is different.

Comment

So basicly your would need one of the longest poles out? or just use a float rod? .....also Brian you saw my pole when connected its fine isnt it like you said the butt has scratched a little.

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So basicly your would need one of the longest poles out?

Fish a narrower canal

Comment

The carp boys would set up using leads and buzzers, on the average canal a 16 metre pole would cover a far bank approach, mind you I think your canal is the Gloucester which is way wider than the average, before attempting to catch carp on the canal you need to find out where they are located, because the are not that plentifull, having confirmed that they are present in a particular stretch I would do a bit of prebaiting, before having a go at catching them.

Comment

Shall i just cast a float out there or something with a bread flake on the hook.

Comment

Working...
                              X