Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Them bigger roach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Them bigger roach

Now we have come to the proper time of the year! Its gonna be cold and its going to get hard... so the bigger roach on the canals are at a real premium, you know the senario - its hard to buy a bite and when you do start getting an odd bite perhaps its just from small perch and then small roach.

What I want to know is how do you guys target the bigger roach on canals in the depths of winter when you want that bite to be 2oz+ and not a blade! I'm not just talking fishing joker - lets have a discussion about rigs and feeding when catching these bigger roach makes all the difference
    Simon Young
    Admin
    Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
    web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

and also small ponds as well "smiles sweetly"

i need to start winning some matches... i do like catching a big roach, such a pretty fish

Comment

love this time of year,proper anglers come out to play now.find a good supplier of fresh caster,if not,do your own ones.tip;keep the sawdust damp and see if you can keep the sawdust from week to week,the longer its kept the better it gets(had mine a year now!) fish light 0.6 bottoms,pr30 size 20.lay 4" on the deck and keep it still in the deepest part of the peg(lakes that is).now,the feeding.cup in 30 shells at the start and do something else for 30 mins cup in another 30 and go in and wait.if its towing,lay a bit more on the deck,you must keep the bait still.when a bite comes,dont snatch at it,count to two and lift into the fish.repeat the process but with 10 casters this time.this shuold be the feeding regime for the rest of the match,if you dont get a bite just wait,dont keep feeding and hoping.remember,if they aint been eaten they are still there.best of luck mate.

Comment

Sadly I cant contribute to this thread as I don't catch many of them bonus roach...........
        Even when I draw a half decent peg fate conspires against me...............:(

Comment

don't neglect the small red worm, tiniest the better, the amount of times i've been scratching around on "my" canal in sheffield for bits (no b&j) and have gone over with a scrap of worm on a 24 and *06 for a net roach never fails to surprise me!

Comment

When I used to fish the canal we would fish right up the shelf. put in a couple of dozen caster with the catty and the lay on 6 - 12ins over depth.
            As smallangler says you have got to keep it still. Then sit back and wait for a bite.

Comment

on the worcester cut the big roach are anything feom 8oz to 1lb 1/2. no b+j in matchs so its caster in the track on 1 side, chop worm and caster on the other. start off fishing the chop first leaving the caster line for as long as possible. bingo

Comment

Put a full pot of raw joker in out of the way and leave it for as long as you can.
                if you can leave it for three hours, then catch one, leave it, then catch one, leave it, then catch one,leave it,, you can sometimes catch a better stamp. you might only catch 15 fish on this line but it can sometimes give you an extra 3lb in 15 chucks.

Comment

To select the bigger roach i find the tiniest red worm i can and feed heavier to get them beasts in! lol

Comment

If you have a far bank feature. tree / bush / boat i catapult 6 - 8 crushed caster every 10 mins then go over with an hour or so left on double caster and keep on lifting the bait if no luck revert to single caster and let it sit. Never mind the roach this one will do the chub. Never be tempted to fish the far bank early on as you need to get the fishes confidence up. may be completeley wrong but it works 50% of the time. the rest of the time i presume theres no bloody fish anyway.
                    If you have no feature on the far bank pack up early and get a pint in before anyone else turns up

Comment

Working...
                    X