Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Is this fishing??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this fishing??

Now its going proper cold alot of the commercials switch off to feeding, so the method becomes on alot of them put on a grain or corn or chunk of meat on the bomb and chuck it out an leave it till the rod goes round - this wins tons of matches but question is - is this fishing? After all you are not feeding and just chucking and waiting to catch what is in front of you!
    Simon Young
    Admin
    Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
    web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

most of our club do it in summer. put a bread crust on and chuck it out,then wait for the tip to go round. is that fishing ?.

Comment

Vote with your feet

Yes it is fishing........
      A lot of methods could also be argued as ''unskilful'' such as the floating pole or even any self hooking method. As an individual we all can make a choice as to what venues we fish & therefore can choose to either embrace or reject these styles of catching fish. Any blanket ban just stiffles the thinking angler's ability to find new methods of winning matches / catching more fish.
      [IMG]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s213/fewbits/lfccool.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Paul, I wasnt suggesting for a minute "Ban it" .... just trying to make the point that alot of the time we as anglers have to defend our sport as a sport and justify the skill involved - was just asking if people believed that methods such as the above were non skillfull!
        Simon Young
        Admin
        Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
        web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Comment

Surely the skill is in deciding which is the method to adopt on the day! eg. The match we held at Barston was I believe won on the feeder. This prat has pokleitis and stuck it out on the pole!!
          John - Kingfisher
          Talk Angling Senior Member
          Club Record Holder on Grand Union Canal Knowle:D

Comment

Not for me Si
            Might have adopted methods for team fishing that I particularly didn't want to do.........but nowadays with no team, do what I want. And thats to enjoy myself -catching double figures of silvers for nowhere rather than have 5 bites in 5 hrs for 25lb. Come to that I'd rather catch 2lb of gobbies as well. Sad ain't I?
            Even when I draw a half decent peg fate conspires against me...............:(

Comment

Whilst the straight lead an corn method may be labelled a chuck it and chance it way of fishing, you only have to look at the results of someone like the "Fin" at makins to know theres far more to it. Its like any method of fishing, the better anglers will take it on board and add there own little tricks of the trade that make all the difference.
              Steve Ringer
              Carpmagic - Talk Angling UK

Comment

No different really to fishing an out of sorts river for one or two good bites on cheesepaste/lobworm or whatever.And as CM says, its mostly the same names in the frame at the end...

Comment

well i think it has skill to it becuase i use it all the time.
                  sensas /total angling

Comment

lol
                    sensas /total angling

Comment

Any legitimate method is fishing, all of which are open to each individual to use. Making the right choice on the day is a skill.

Comment

Couldn't agree more Carpmagic and Dave any match angler considering fishing straight lead in winter, would be foolish not to play around with different setups of this under rated method to catch more fish. Definately a skill involved as much as putting s ready made rig on the end of your pole or chucking a method feeder. You have got to master it to get it right on the day.

Comment

exactly you cant just chuck and hope and think to win because everyone could do that what makes someone better at that method than you hey

dont say more fish in front of him because i know people that fish this method that get results on it every weekend
                          sensas /total angling

Comment

what about this for a view - from my experience (however limited that is) Pole fishing is easier than any other method in its basic skill level, ie holding a pole at a certain length with a rig attached and bait predominantly on the bottom. It is the feeding and little adjustments that count. I will admit i can not compete with experienced anglers BUT on the lead, feeder i can. Not because its easier but because many pole anglers stick to one method and have no confidence when it comes to anything else and they are the ones who tend to use the phrase ' chuck it and chance'. Each style of fishing requires basic skills altering them is the real knowledge to catching more and thinking 'out of the box'. Take the hook in a loop method what a blinding idea. Must go to tunnel barn and see if i can hit more than the usual 30% of bites

Comment

Sounds like the method the speci boys do all the time, except they use a 4 oz self hooking rig and a PVA bag. They go to sleep though, at least we stay awake.
                              [url]http://www.fishinglessons.org.uk/[/url]

Comment

Working...
                              X