Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Ground bait (feeder) question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground bait (feeder) question

Fishing the Moon Lakes Tattershall on Saturday and going feeder tactic 2m from the island..

my question is this...

Does it make any difference if i makeup my ground bait the night before?

or

is it best making up at the venue on my peg?

The only advantage i see in making up the night before is that it will save me time and can get fishing quicker..

It also makes the bait less active. At this time of the year and at any time for bream, I like a less active bait. For roach and carp in the summer, I don't mind a little bit of fizz and feed coming off.
    [url]http://www.fishinglessons.org.uk/[/url]

Comment

As wavenyone said, Making it up the night before will make it less 'atractive' if you like. I would recommend making as you get onto the bank. Yes, making it the night before would save you time. But making it fresh on the bank would catch you fish.

Comment

To get the best from your groundbait you should always mix it the night before. This gives the mix time to fully absorb all the water. If you mix it on the bank you will spend all day adding water to get it to the right consistency, and worst of all bits of the groundbait are likely to float as they wont have had time to soak up the water. This time of year when the cold weather sets in active groundbaits are the kiss of death in my opinion.
        Steve Ringer
        Carpmagic - Talk Angling UK

Comment

That's what I thought Steve but was waiting for an expert to say it

Comment

excellent..

just one more thing.

what is the BEST consistancey then? how much water do i add, ive never done this before.

also, im going to be using a dark fishmeat ground bait, any advancements on that??

Comment

Newies, has i said before start on the straight lead at moon lake and see what fish movement there is before using a groundbait feeder.

However, has as been already mentioned i mix my groundbait the night before and put water in a bit at a time mix thouroughly leave it ten minutes then check consistancy you want it so it will come out of the feeder once on the bottem and doesn't stick in it or fall out on the way down (this will come with experience). One important thing you must do is to riddle the groundbait a few times has this will remove lumps and fluff the mix up.(sounds like making a cake) Its worth the hassle though.

Good luck on saturday.
              Steve Davies

Comment

By the way the groundbait you want is fish meal based not meat.
                Steve Davies

Comment

hay steve,

ok, so start on the bomb, and see what fish i hit (if any) and use pellet but sparingly as feed... how long to i wait until i change to the feeder (thats if i do)?

will take ur advice on the ground mate, and yes fish meal based, ill get some from pegs..

Comment

Originally posted by Boilieboy
                    As wavenyone said, Making it up the night before will make it less 'atractive' if you like.
                    I think you mean active Boilieboy.

Newies, you want to make it fairly dry so that when you squeeze it with one hand it sticks together but placed between both hands and rubbed, it easily breaks back into crumb. The idea of mixing it dry is that as it absorbs water it will swell and force itself out of the feeder.

If you haven't fished a G/B feeder before though, try the straight lead to the island first. It is amazing how you can catch fish without putting any bait in at all at this time of the year through to April. Try corn on the hook.

Comment

Fish the bomb for 1/2 to 3/4 hour before changing.

Comment

cheers mate, all this advice is excellent...

i was thinking of starting with maggot on the hook with loose pellet feed

Comment

Oh, one other point the G/B will dry out at first as carp magic said. So keep putting a tiny bit of water in the night before you go until this stops. When it does, put the whole lot into a plasstic bag aand store in the 'fridge overnight. When you get on the bank, remember you left the G/B in the 'fridge :-) - No forget that bit. When you get on the bank check the consistency again adding a little more water if necessarily and make sure you riddle the g/b at least once before fishing

Comment

Originally posted by waveneyone
                            I think you mean active Boilieboy.

Newies, you want to make it fairly dry so that when you squeeze it with one hand it sticks together but placed between both hands and rubbed, it easily breaks back into crumb. The idea of mixing it dry is that as it absorbs water it will swell and force itself out of the feeder.

If you haven't fished a G/B feeder before though, try the straight lead to the island first. It is amazing how you can catch fish without putting any bait in at all at this time of the year through to April. Try corn on the hook.
                            well, i have fished the GB feeder before, but ive never mixed it, i use my mates....

im starting with an 18 hook..

you ever fished the moon b4?

Comment

No I haven't, where is it?

Comment

Working...
                              X