Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

topping up /feeding your swim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• topping up /feeding your swim

Went down the canal for a few hours today and started off by feeding 3 lines... I started by feeding 2 balls of white crumb at 6 metres at the bottom of the far shelf and 1 ball at 7 1/2 metres at the top of the shelf both with a sprinkling of squatts... I also fed some casters tight up against the far side reeds... I started by fishing the 2nd line up on the top shelf and feeding about 20 squatts every 10 mins or so and fishing with pinkie on the hook from 10 minutes I was catching small roach and perch steadily... Catching a couple of fish from each swim then switching when they died off... After a couple of hours I hooked into a decent bream then another my thinking then was that as theres bream in my swim to top up with another ball of white crumb to try and hold them there... So I topped up and suddenly my swim died... I switched back down to my lower shelf swim but it took me 50 minutes to get another bite... Could anyone tell me why my swim died like that and what are the general rules for topping up a swim with groundbait and loosefeeding... after I started getting bites again it was very patchy... someone enlighten me where I went wrong please
    :cool: [I]LeeTwin[/I] :cool:
    [I]Mr 3oz number 1[/I] ><))))*>

sometimes bream, although a shoaling species, do only pop up one or two at a time. It does sound possible that you got a bit giddy though and went for it! (we've all done it!)
    And white crumb? ok for punch but there are better mixes for squatts etc.

Comment

most times its better at this time of year to continue loose feeding ,little & often approach,and maybe a little bit of light cloud over the top . while fish are feeding in your swim never put balls of groundbait over their heads unless swim has already died or the canal has a lot of boat traffic which often washes away your groundbait to combat this use a very stiff mix that will not get washed away and the ball will break down very slowly.but to be honest at this time of year liquidised bread and bread punch will fetch far better results

Comment

thanks for that folks i'll take what you said on board..

Comment

I did try the punch but didnt get a sniff on it

Comment

It's possible you could have bagged up on those big bream if you hadn't dropped feed on their heads. As somebody has recommended groundbait again when the bream have moved on and perhaps they'll return during your session.It's true if you don't get the bream in a match on the club matches I've been running you don't frame!!
            John - Kingfisher
            Talk Angling Senior Member
            Club Record Holder on Grand Union Canal Knowle:D

Comment

thats one thing im not going to be doing.... feeding every 5 mins...

dont really wanna lose fish... BUT if it goes seriously quite, then you have to do something

Comment

leetwin go read Fred Davis article on bread punch fishing
                http://www.talkangling.co.uk/Punch.htm
                its probably the best bread article i have read in 43 years fishing it really has changed the way i punch fish....and for the better
                In darkness we do what we can
                In daylight we're oblivion

Comment

Working...
                X