Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

The Buzz of the glorious 16th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Buzz of the glorious 16th

I just been spouting about close seasons...which lead me into how i used to get an unbelievable buzz from the 16th June . The planning the preparation the early morning that feeling as gone forever now and some of the younger anglers have never had it ..... i am glad i experienced it ..it was a time i will never forget some things change and take away memorys some for the better some well i am not sure....am i becomming a sad old
    In darkness we do what we can
    In daylight we're oblivion

Not really a sad old Pete because allthough I packed in fishing for something like 18 years I still got an urge to go fishing on the Glorious Sixteenth, There was nothing like the buzz you got from being out that day, like you I am glad that I experienced it, mind you I have used more than the odd pint of maggot fishing for trout on the Monnow at Monmouth during the closed season or ledgering for eels on the Severn.

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

Comment

I always fished on June 16th, booked a day off work if it fell in the week. Most times I would be on a river. Most memorable was getting a peg on the Trent at the Harrington Arms, Sawley at around 3pm, then waiting till midnight for that 1st cast. Magic

Comment

I used to spend the 3 months leading up to the 16th cleaning my gear and changing the line on my spools, and shrinking my whicker basket with water to make it more stable. The excitement and anticipation build up was unbearable.
        Now Its difficult to get excited about fishing a river whether its the 16th or any other time of year for that matter.

Comment

If you are a sad old , i must be a middle aged thingy. But i still get a buzz whenever i fish a river. What do you reckon with more and more private owned / leased stretches of rivers (not angling clubs) that there is a high chance that it will not be long before the close season is no more. The only reason i can think of why the close season was abolished on stillwaters is because of cash.
          Last edited by polepot; 14 November 2006, 06:07 PM.

Comment

I to enjoyed the build up to the 16th june, the planning the excitment of another season, better than Xmas, birthdays and all that.
            But the only thing i think was wrong was the dates and the lenght of time fishing was closed, but still am and always will be in favour of some form of closed season but pehaps not in the original form.

Comment

i dont think it did the fish any good ...they always spawned at different times but wild life was left to get on with it self and i loved walking banks of places i wanted to try.....and prebaiting swims does anyone still do that now..
              In darkness we do what we can
              In daylight we're oblivion

Comment

Working...
              X