Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

know idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• know idea

i'm fishing a club match on sunday, but i've only fished the venue once and i have no idea what bait to use or what method to fish with (feeder/pole ect).
    Its quite a big lake, and its about 5ft deep in the middle and about 2ft deep in the margins. There are big, and lots of small carp and there is also roach and rudd ect. the only time i fished it was in the sunner and the margins were booming with carp, but i don't know what it's like now.

go to Doe's Angling Club www.doesac.co.uk to see some pictures of the lake.
    i would be very greatful if you could help
    :D I'll fish anytime and anywhere (as you can see).:D

Hi Max,

Obviously never having fished this lake in the winter is a bit of a disadvantage.. however this time of year the carp are alot harder to catch.

Personally with the information you have given us I would plumb up on the pole line and find the deepest part of the peg - you say it goes to 5ft deep, well if you can find this depth at anywhere up to 7-8M (preferably 4-5M) I would loosefeed maggots on that line steadily for the first hour of the match... while you are doing that chuck a small maggot feeder but drill out the holes in the side of the feeder to make the holes twice the size they are to start with (otherwise with the water being cold the maggots dont come out easy enough) fish say double red maggot on a size 18 hook and something like 0.12 or 0.13 hooklength and see how this goes - leave the feeder out there without recasting unless you get a bite for at least 10 minutes at a time - you might get plagued by small fish but not knowing the lake I dont know... if this happens try a big piece of hair rigged lucheon meat and again leave it sitting there.... if say after half an hour you havent caught then clip on a bomb and try casting your meat into a different spot in the peg.... often at this time of year the carp are sholed up in little pockets and its a case of finding where they are in your peg so you might have to chuck around a bit to find them...

If you still have no luck have a go on the maggot line with a light rig like 0.10 straight through to a 20 with a 4x12 rig set to drop through the water - this should at least catch you some roach and rudd.

Lastly if it is fishing really hard stick with that maggot feeder in the deeper water and keep it nice and accurate using a line clip.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
    Simon Young
    Admin
    Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
    web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Comment

Plus.

With all that vegetation on the inside I would give it a try, they still may come inside later.

Nice looking pool

Comment

Working...
      X