Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Bank holiday monday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bank holiday monday

How did it go TK?
    "Don't fancy being stuck in a traffic jam?
    Trying avoid having a paintbrush thrust in your hand?
    Dont fancy the missus walking you round that car boot?
    Come and join us on a knock up on the Curley Wyrley"
    I'll never listen to the old gits advice again!!!!!!!!

Well, where do I start.
    With the weather forecast predicting rain overnight then clearing I was happy that the sun was breaking through the rain clouds as I loaded the car with tackle including a sack of fishmeal ground bait, 3 pints of pellets and a pint and half of Bilston angling centres finest Casters. By the time I’d met up with Daylewlia off maggotdrowning there was a slight drizzle that had stopped by the time we started pegging out, after talking to a pleasure angler who had witnessed a 100lb catch of tench catch two days previous I was raring to get at them.
    By the time we got back to the draw the motley crew had starting assembling, in fact I thought we were at the wrong bridge because it looked more like an audition for a horror film than a fishing match……whilst waiting on the bridge a bream rolled in the peg on the junction, well actually it floated to the top, rolled over and died, there was obviously so many there that there was not enough oxygen to go round...then with 2 minutes left it happened…..du du du..du du du dorrr dor du du (music from the omen)....was it an apparition?....no...the man known only as "Fert" had arrived...once thought of as just a mystical beast it quickly transpired after the all in that the man named "Fert" was indeed a real monster....a ground bait monster.....the sky darkened and the rain began to fall.....Heavily...before it got heavier and with stronger winds.
    With the peggers out drawing 1st (me and Daylewlia)I wanted to draw on the junction but I was not that disappointed when I drew peg11 due to it having a bigger than average reed bed opposite. The favoured peg 7 on the junction had been drawn as expected by Yamo, all the talk was WHO would be 2nd.
    with only pellets and casters It did not take long to get ready, two pellet rigs with 0.14 bottoms and two caster rigs with 0.10 bottoms were set up to deal with the resident slimies,at the all in the 1st line fed was 11m into 2 1/2 ft of water with 3 balls of fairly dry fishmeal ground bait......I watched them float for a couple of seconds then sink to the bottom....yes I did say it correctly.... because after 5 hours I could still see them looking oh so fishless on the bottom. After a bite less first hour I went for a walk and it became obvious that the only people catching were using bread and feeding small amounts of liccy.I had taken the scales so I had two options:
    1: I could keep doing the same and hope for a couple of bonus fish.
    2:I could get a top kit out with light elastic and fish a casters brain on a 26 hook over a bit of sloppy ground bait….thinking about it there was a third option I could have put my own brain on if I have got any 28 hooks!
    With the wind blowing and the rain coming down in buckets I decided to choose option 1 which meant I could snuggle whilst holding the pole, this was too be disturbed twice by a Rudd and a roach interrupting me by making my float go under and with 40 minutes left the white flag came out and the tackle was returning to the car and the weigh in commenced.
    1st to weigh was Cotti the Warburtons fanatic who put 3-11-8 of small roach with a couple of bonus 6oz skimmers on the scales despite losing a bream that could have doubled his weight,next was Vesti who had a 3lb tench to go with a few little roach for a total of 3-7-0 but had left 4 tench in the cut! Jagman the local had retired early to watch the baggies fans crying in their beer.Heinzer then put 1-9-12 on the scales despite losing time having to take shaun home, Ball it in Brambles had not had a bite so failed to trouble the now half dry scalesman. It appeared that Cotti was now home and dry (apart from he was wet through) and it was confirmed when Yamo had cocked the flyer up.

1 Shaunie davies - DNW (retired with a hangover) LOL
    2 Cotti 3-11-8 (lost his bream)
    3 Vesti 3-7-0 (lost 3 tench but had one)
    4 Jagman - DNW - caster daint work
    5 heinzer 1-9-12 might have had a few more if he hadnt taken the hangover kid home half way thru
    6 Brian Brambles - DNW
    7 Yamo 0.12.10 - mesmerised by Ferts feeding and totally outgunned and overawed by young Fert
    8 Fert the legend 1.5.9
    9 TK 2.0.3
    10 Daylewlia 2 fish
    11 Woodmouse 2 fish
    12 Zorro 2 fish
    13 Brambles jnr

Thanks for organising it TK.
    Just a pity the gods of weather had gone on holiday.

superb woodhouse !!!

what a story !!!!

Comment

Well that was worth the wait Chockie Monster A fantastic write up If the Sunday Times (or MF) gets wind of you you can give up the day job

I just had to change the underwear after loffin so much

The only omission for the record - and this is not a criticism - the pennies went ......

Cotti £25 for 1st and 2 sections of £20 to Vesti and BDM

So I retired to the pub 40 sovs better off (where JK spent it) and I finally put my jumper on to thaw out........

Seriously though for any readers who don't know the venue the anticipated weights 20/40lb etc had been dwarfed in the days leading upto this grueller by megga weights,..........................but the Curse struck again
      Even when I draw a half decent peg fate conspires against me...............:(

Comment

TK..the venue is usually suberb, it was only the 48 hours of rain that ruined it and i would like to have another go when the weather is more favourable.

Comment

ps........dow blame me.......Yamo suggested the knock up after the excitement of converting from the commercials to the cut with some good bags on the Curley Wyrley

Comment

Crossed post..........

Comment

Originally posted by woodhouse
              TK..the venue is usually suberb, it was only the 48 hours of rain that ruined it and i would like to have another go when the weather is more favourable.
              I'm sure we can arrange another get together..........

That bream in Yamo's cock peg before the off must have been an omen........

Mind Heinzer said he'd got em rolling in his but couldn't tempt em.

The only thing rolling in my peg was me through loffing.

Shame the weather, I'm sure we would have had a bit more banter if we could have peered from under our brollies or had a minutes respite from the deluge

All I need now is for Jagman (the local crack) to convince the masses - Larry Teepot and co - that there are some fish in there - or we'll never stand a chance of em joining us on another sally

Comment

let me know lads when the next 1 on there is (if its not raining) and ill sort some lads out for you to take money off

Comment

Don't tell me you are bringing in a few ringers

Seriously though, Jagman - I need you to post some pickies of the 100lb bags that need two to lift out the nets off here, or people think I've picking the wrong type of mushroom........

Comment

Well heres a posting off Jagman - I'm pretty sure he's refering to Simon Nickless who's done a few big big big bags off there over the last couple of weeks

Yale Angling Club Forums - curley wyrley canal

Comment

Simon has just phoned me and offered to give me some lessons before the next time we go there...He has fished on the common today but struggled, he only had about 80lb today.

Comment

Whats he using Lee - corn and/or pellet ?

Bit different from his gudgeon days on the Staffs and Worcs

Comment

only 80lb.. wonder what he is doing? obviously when its good weather the potential is there to do a great weight.. i reckon he is prob balling in groundbait and fishin pellet over top, am i right ratbag? next time he's over there i might take a trip and watch him in action

Comment

no balling of gbait yamo i watched him for 2 hours on saturday

Comment

Working...
                            X