Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Mental health and the benefits of angling & fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mental health and the benefits of angling & fishing

Something I’ve thought about a lot is does angling have a positive benefit in terms of your mental health and well-being - what do you guys think?
    Simon Young
    Admin
    Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
    web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

I can attest to the fact that it does. I have suffered with an acquired brain injury all my life and from 2013 up until the charity closed in December I was involved with a weekly fishing session involving other people who had various different injuries to their brain. The benefits that I could see to the others and myself was immense. We had one member who had not been out of the house for six years and he came to his first session we sat him down with a rod and reel and his face lit up when he caught his first fish (albeit just a small roach).

So yes I believe angling does have positive benefits to a person’s wellbeing and mental health

Regards

Preston Mark
    Last edited by Preston_Mark; 4 February 2020, 08:49 AM.
    Mark

"At the end of the day it's another day over" Les Miserables - Victor Hugo

Comment

In some cases the mere act of leaving the house at any hour of the day is good for your mental health. But yes,it has beneficial qualities
      a lot of anglers wouldnt even recognise they are getting from it.Personally,there are still times when I feel like a kid again on Christmas eve before a fishing trip.
      There is so much to think about that all else goes out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Fott View Post
        In some cases the mere act of leaving the house at any hour of the day is good for your mental health. But yes,it has beneficial qualities
        a lot of anglers wouldnt even recognise they are getting from it.Personally,there are still times when I feel like a kid again on Christmas eve before a fishing trip.
        There is so much to think about that all else goes out the window.
        Bob
        I know from personal experience that you are 100% on the money with your thinking.
        I have Suffered from constant Depression since 2005 ,Panic & anxiety attacks . I walked away from Match fishing & consequently fishing totally 2 weeks after the TA weekender @ Larford & Moorlands farm about 5yrs ago
        My Depression had been getting worse by the day on the run up to the match,
        Even though I was fishing every day on matches . I was feeling increasingly isolated
        I could be in the company of 50 other anglers but totally alone .It seemed that I was outside looking through a window
        its a Horrible feeling & eventually after an embarrassing weekend where I fished the worst 2 matches of my life I could not do it any more
        I fished 1 more match ,well 1/2 a match ,I threw 50lb back after 2 hrs went home & never looked @ my gear for close on 4yrs
        I forced myself to fish TA last year @ Larford despite only going once to the River Avon with Rick & Kaz
        I drew by Steve Pickup 2nd day lovely bloke & someone that gets better every time I see him so it gave me a bit of a challenge
        God I was Rusty !! A .few yrs ago I would have won the match by a country mile .but I had to settle for the section
        even after finding 2 x 6lb fish that hadn't been weighed in a net
        Onward & upward I thought No chance !!
        I have not left the house more than 6 times this year in the day
        I am struggling to get past the front door ,
        So yes if you can get out fishing on nice peaceful pleasure session .get out there
        Don't do as I have & become a virtual recluse

Colin

Comment

Originally posted by BIG COL View Post

Bob
          I know from personal experience that you are 100% on the money with your thinking.
          I have Suffered from constant Depression since 2005 ,Panic & anxiety attacks . I walked away from Match fishing & consequently fishing totally 2 weeks after the TA weekender @ Larford & Moorlands farm about 5yrs ago
          My Depression had been getting worse by the day on the run up to the match,
          Even though I was fishing every day on matches . I was feeling increasingly isolated
          I could be in the company of 50 other anglers but totally alone .It seemed that I was outside looking through a window
          its a Horrible feeling & eventually after an embarrassing weekend where I fished the worst 2 matches of my life I could not do it any more
          I fished 1 more match ,well 1/2 a match ,I threw 50lb back after 2 hrs went home & never looked @ my gear for close on 4yrs
          I forced myself to fish TA last year @ Larford despite only going once to the River Avon with Rick & Kaz
          I drew by Steve Pickup 2nd day lovely bloke & someone that gets better every time I see him so it gave me a bit of a challenge
          God I was Rusty !! A .few yrs ago I would have won the match by a country mile .but I had to settle for the section
          even after finding 2 x 6lb fish that hadn't been weighed in a net
          Onward & upward I thought No chance !!
          I have not left the house more than 6 times this year in the day
          I am struggling to get past the front door ,
          So yes if you can get out fishing on nice peaceful pleasure session .get out there
          Don't do as I have & become a virtual recluse
          Col,you must try to get some help for your illness because thats a really tough situation you are in.
          Have you tried talking to anyone about it?

Comment

Its making me worse, i cant draw, our rivers have been 10ft up or more for what seems like a lifetime.
            i feel great and enthusiastic before i go,then i draw crap, get full of mud and watch the river rising as we speak.
            just thought id light harten it a bit 😀
            River anglers Go with the flow.

Comment

Bob
              I have had counselling from the CBT clinic that didn't work .I have been on all manner of potions & tablets.
              Things occasionally feel better ,but inevitably after a short period they return. Worse than ever.
              i manage to DJ about 3 or 4 times a month but only when Anne my wife comes with me.
              i can hide behind the decks so don't feel threatened .a couple of years ago I did 330 gigs in 12mths Rick, convinced me to cut back . Things have got really bad the last 4 mths & are now @ the stage that everything is too much .

i spoke with the GP this afternoon by phone they are going too look @ my medication & ring me back tomorrow
              to let me know if my meds can be changed.
              \So until such a time as a suitable solution is found , I will continue to make plans everyday to go fishing or do something else
              only to change my mind in the morning ,& spend the rest of the day beating myself up about not doing it .
              I blame Rick because I think he Pinched my book of excuses
              He has problems with sleep & is always @ work ,so he doesn't get out so much lately
              I Suppose its a bonus that I don't get any thoughts of a morbid nature
              i will get there eventually ,then God help anyone that draws near me ,because when I'm well
              I dont get beat very often
              Last edited by BIG COL; 5 February 2020, 07:07 AM.
              Colin

Comment

Good job youdont get those thoughts, or id ruffle ya quiff up 😎, so when we going out next before the season closes even if it has to be on a puddle ya old fart

Comment

Originally posted by Rick b View Post
                  Good job youdont get those thoughts, or id ruffle ya quiff up 😎, so when we going out next before the season closes even if it has to be on a puddle ya old fart
                  I will attempt to ring you Weds or Thurs Evening ,Hope you & Kaz are well ?

if I was to go anywhere near a puddle just Carp or Heavens forbid F1s Vermin.
                  I can assure you that you wouldn't be able to ruffle my Quiff ,I would have already pulled it out by the roots.
                  I would also be a lit closer to the Morbid thoughts
                  I purchased a rope a couple of yrs ago to help on the river banks
                  but I cant find it .that might be a blessing ,,it might be an idea to stop looking for it .lol
                  seriously I could never put my family through the trauma that something like that would cause
                  I will keep on trying to hide how I'm feeling & hopefully I will eventually kick this awful illness into touch
                  just hope it don't take too long .
                  Bream or Silvers fine & I would love to go ,but will I be able to go when it comes to it ?
                  \Rick now that is something that I would never guarantee.

Colin

Comment

Tbh Col, as you know i love the rivers but how its been i could do with a bend in the rod, so a pool with a cafe on site sounds pretty good to me at the moment.
                    wouldnt mind giving the bomb n bread ago

Comment

Avon looks bang on for the first time in 5 months....but waddya know...it's blowing a tornado the week end...ya couldn't make it up!!

Comment

The only time I get out of the house lately is for hospital trips to cover illness to both my wife and myself, it costs 30 quid round trip. This week we've been every day so far and tomorrow, that's £120 so far this week in taxis. We have a rest Friday. Nothing planned for next week.
                        I haven't fished since the end of September, test results don't look good so when I fish again will be any ones guess, luckily I can sit at home happy watching TV. Too dense to let anything get to me.
                        I have an incidental on my left shoulder, he's always there, he's my friend.
                        He says he gives me good advice. does he ?

Comment

Originally posted by jethro View Post
                          The only time I get out of the house lately is for hospital trips to cover illness to both my wife and myself, it costs 30 quid round trip. This week we've been every day so far and tomorrow, that's £120 so far this week in taxis. We have a rest Friday. Nothing planned for next week.
                          I haven't fished since the end of September, test results don't look good so when I fish again will be any ones guess, luckily I can sit at home happy watching TV. Too dense to let anything get to me.
                          That's awful news mate ,I thought you was back @ work & back to full fitness ?
                          What you are going through is far worse than what I am going through .
                          I honestly had no idea ,To have both of you ill must be awful ,makes my problems seem so trivial .
                          Keep in touch & if there is anything I may be able to help you with just give me a shout .
                          Take care both remember you are not alone .
                          The last couple of days have made me realise how much support is out there
                          Don't suffer in Silence .
                          Take care
                          Col
                          Colin

Comment

Originally posted by BIG COL View Post
                            That's awful news mate ,I thought you was back @ work & back to full fitness ?
                            What you are going through is far worse than what I am going through .
                            I honestly had no idea ,To have both of you ill must be awful ,makes my problems seem so trivial .
                            Keep in touch & if there is anything I may be able to help you with just give me a shout .
                            Take care both remember you are not alone .
                            The last couple of days have made me realise how much support is out there
                            Don't suffer in Silence .
                            Take care
                            Col
                            Colin, no one's problems can ever be classed as trivial. Whatever health problems we have we can cope with, we always have.
                            Works out for me I'm afraid. My post was to do with the benefits of fishing rather than grumbling about my wife and myselfs health.
                            I thought more of mention was the taxi costs.
                            For the record Colin, we don't feel we are not going through anything worse than anyone else. We have nothing new, it's all been coped with by others, I do hope my wife will have a good outcome. PS my moan about being stuck in the house was more to do with the time of year.
                            Thanks Colin, sorry for the late reply.
                            Last edited by jethro; 14 February 2020, 05:31 PM.
                            I have an incidental on my left shoulder, he's always there, he's my friend.
                            He says he gives me good advice. does he ?

Comment

Working...
                            X