Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Cormorant deterents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cormorant deterents

Since the lockdown there are more Cormorants on the 2acre lake near me!
    Can't shoot them sadly...
    Question is...
    What worked best for you?
    What didn't work?
    Anyone tried using a Drone?
    Look forward to your views

We strung ropes across our pool, and tied carrier bags from them, not exactly pretty, and bags needed to be renewed regularly. However it worked and stopped the things from using our pool. We had come up with a method of hanging CD discs from the rope, using wire as opposed to twine or fishing line whiich the small birds used to attack, thinking it was nesting material, unfortunately our waters were closed down by Civil Services before we impemented it. the CDs would have been more permanent.

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

Comment

Get a licence and blast em they'll get the message. It's way to easy to lose count.
      I have an incidental on my left shoulder, he's always there, he's my friend.
      He says he gives me good advice. does he ?

Comment

Thanks Brian, Not sure whether rope or string is capable of stopping them
        Would prefer to have some proof that it would work??
        Jethro, I agree with you BUT it's not an option.
        Surely other Clubs have sorted the Cormorant issues?

Comment

Oldfella, our pools were situated within a sports club complex, with a resident groundsman, who never saw one after we erected the ropes, I witnessed a flock of the squaking vermin approach our pool, but veer of when seeing the bags fluttering away. What the ropes do is prevent them taking off, our pool maintained a decent head of silver fish, in fact we had one small pool solely for silvers, which when netted when we lost the pool yeilded 1000lb of fish, not bad for a pool that had virtually no purchased fish in it, so it does work.We had more trouble with a couple of mink than the cormorants, but thats another story.

Comment

Thanks Brian, Have you fitted ropes accross your new pool?.
            Thanks for your help.

Comment

Sadly we never found a pool to rent, however pretty certain we would have roped it off had we found one.

Comment

Yes they can and they do work we put some across Howbrook Res. Sheffield which is about 3 acres I will try and find all the details and post them,What you need is a plan of action slightly altering it every year so the birds do not get used to a particular method ,may take me a couple of days but I will put up what we did.

Comment

Warden,
                  ​​​​Look forward to seeing what you recommend...
                  Find it very hard to believe that no one else has a Cormorant problem to deal with...

Comment

The most common thing, amongst those that can't shoot them and have a modest sized water, is to use ropes strung across the water. This method impedes their take off and landing on the water. It's not always 100% effective, but it's a lot better than doing nothing.

Comment

https://www.talkangling.co.uk/forum/...ts-please-read

Comment

Update on Howbrook,We put another stocking of Carp in earlier this year from a estate lake that had a surplus of Carp in the 3 to 8 lb range it has fished well which we are happy with as this is still a work in process, as there are two threads going on this please look at both of them to get the full picture, lol.for those who have recently asked we took howbrook on at the councils request after many years of neglect i say that with a heavy heart as i know most of the people who tried to keep it going.we had many conversations with the EA and the AT about what was the best way forward and both sent a representative down to howbrook and went through the options both were very helpful and thorough in their advice giving may options with the positive and negatives that seemed to come with all options (should point out we are members of the AT since we found out we could get our PL insurance through them for about a third of what we were paying)and again today have proved their worth,their website I believe gives advice about cormorants or ring them up they have predator's management people.
                        anyway we went for a roping off solution took some doing as this is a deep and wide water in places but it has been very effective as I said earlier keeping alternating each year so it looks to the birds different to last year we put a very basic scarecrow up pinned to a tree and to all intents from not far way it looks like a fisherman people walking round are very effective as does clapping your hands or blowing a whistle check with your local EA but we were told you can shoot to scare cormorants away they do not like it up em captain Mannering.As I mentioned there were a lot of other options that were not viable due to the depth and the fact the water eventually ran into the river system,

Comment

Thanks for your time Warden,
                          Looks like it's very hard to shift them without the aid of a gun.
                          Will let the committee know of your advice and hopefully they will do something because at the moment due to total lack of anglers on the bank the Cormorants are having a picnic.
                          If there is anyone else who might be able to advise please feel free
                          Again Thanks

Comment

No problem ,if you want to pm me a email address i can let you have a lot more info I tried to post it but it said something like only allowed to post 4000 characters and my post was 42,000 so it would not post surprised they are still there ours normally disappear around end of March where exactly is your Lake do you have a near by post code or website .Cheers.

Comment

If your club is a member of the Angling Trust, contact them for advice. In normal times, they can send a regional representative to survey a water and give tailored advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X