Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Canal Top Section Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canal Top Section Kit

Hi,

I have always fished with 2 different lengths of top kit's when out on the local cut. The logic being for up on the far/near shelves I use a short top kit say 1.3M. Then, when fishing down the track I tend to use a 1.8M top kit to handle the deeper water. The draw back is that I need 2 x lengths of rig, to match whichever top kit is in use. Does anyone think this is good practice? or should I go with the one length of top kit suits all depths scenario?
    I would appreciate your thoughts.
    Did a Ton (I was late,M6. On my way home from work.)

i would have the same to not get to complicated because i would have the longer 1 so it doesnt hurt to have another 50cm of line from float to pole if anything a bonus in winter

Comment

All mine are the same length (7) saves a lot of messing about,

Comment

I must admit that I have a similar set up on my 1 pole but that is by accident rather than design, the 1 spare top kit is a Maver top and about 1/2 metre shorter than the 2 originals so when I use that particular pole I use it as you describe.

I do tend to make my rigs up close to required length however as "far bank" , "slope" or "track" rigs so the different lengths usually have different floats and shotting patterns anyway so that is covered as well when I use my second pole.

I use the maver long number 1/2,s for my occasional canal trips which are about 1.4m long. If I'm fishing down the track and I need extra depth I just add the match number 3 taking it up to 2.5m.

Eric
        PB Pike just over 17lb

Best match weight 150lb 9oz :)

Comment

The canal I regularly fish (Worc/Bham)@ Alvechurch has only 24" of water on some of the far shelf pegs. My concern was that using my track top kit (1.8M) would result in missed bites due to the ammount of line I was getting between pole tip and float. Okay, you can keep the rig line taut but you would also be prone to more tangles with far shelf trees,bushes etc.

Comment

Short tops for short rigs

Comment

raver,
              As long as you can feed accurately then I see no problem with having different length top kits. However, if you are having problems feeding accurately, I would suggest having 2 cup kits; 1 cut same as your long top kits and the other the same length as your short top kits. Alternatively, use an extendable cupkit.

Incidentally, are you catching much out of the canal at Alvechurch? It runs behind my house yet I've never fished this stretch in the almost 4 years I have lived up here. I thought it was solid with pike!

Cheers,
              Stu
              A Southerner, lost in the Midlands. ;)

Comment

Stu,

There are some decent bags of roach to be had on the cut here. Our Xmas contest was won with 6lB of em in difficult conditions. Bread punch scored well, as did squatt over the far side. The bream can also show, more likely in the boat yard pegs when the temperature is better. There are stripeys and gudgeon also bottom of the near shelf. Tight lines!

Comment

Thanks for that raver. I'll give it a go. Incidentally, I had a walk along the cut this afternoon; just 2 guys piking on the BAA members-only dead arm up by the motorway.

BTW which club do you fish with?

Cheers,
                  Stu

Comment

Stu,

I fish with the Mini20 AC (originally part of the Austin Rover car plant) a small friendly club, 8/9 contest a year, mainly Rivers 7 & Avon, plus odd canal match. New members always welcome. The dead arm never ceases to amaze me. In the warmer months you can catch anything there tench, bream the odd carp and like you say Pike are also present also. I tend to fish behind the scrap yard just past the Crown pub. Ill give you a shout next time out.

Comment

cupping kits get a garbolino once that extends in and out

Comment

Cheers, thanks raver.

A few fish and then a pint in the Crown - sounds like a plan to me!

Stu

Comment

I know this is an old post, but is the dead arm at Alvechurch still under BAA control?

Does anyone know if there's parking nearby?

Comment

Working...
                          X