Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Fishing to hand.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing to hand.

Is it damaging our future stock? I admit that I used to fish to hand, on rivers, canals etc... where you needed to get small fish in quick, to be in with a chance of winning. But on reflection I think I was in the wrong. Young fish don't have the strength in their jaws to support their whole weight (or so I think) and fishing to hand could do them some damage. I personally don't think anyone should now fish to hand, you wouldn't dream of swinging a 30lb carp in, or a 2lb roach, so why do we(yes I include myself) anglers do this with small fish? It's not just matchmen, it's a common practice used by almost every angler, at sometime or another. Some fisheries around here, INSIST that you net EVERY fish, is this the way forward? I think so.

What are your opinions?? Is swinging fish in damaging to them, or is it safe??

ill net anything over 4oz anything under is perfectly ok to support it weight with its lp because its the first thing to grow muscle in a fishes body well i think it does anyway.
    sensas /total angling

Comment

we dont swing in 2ib roach coz out pole wont alow it and and our rods wont alow it either

Comment

i only swing in 4oz -

Comment

I only fish for 4oz fish, anything bigger breaks me
          Team Mosella Black Country

Sex is like Poker.
          If you havnt got a good partner.
          Then you better have a good Hand

Comment

hope you dont fish matches in ireland when roach fishing can be one a chuck on pole to hand, for speed you have to swing nearly everything even roach over a pound.

Comment

there is a few venues around here that have the rule that a landing net is used for ALL fish and although it may take some getting used to its not much of an inconvience. however i have won matches with over 1000 small carp for 30lb plus on two occasions and if that rule was in force then it wouldnt have been an option to target these fish. certainly in winter when on the squatt my net rarely gets used so perhaps natural venues are more suitable to speed fishing (less rules to handicap us) but is there an issue of fish care ? prior to this post i have never considered fish lips to be weak points on their bodies is that just an opinion or fact based ??
              the carrot bites back:D
              ooh you are awful!!

Comment

Depends on the species. Not a bad idea to have 2 landing nets. A smaller lighter one to hand for the smaller fish say above 4 oz and too small for the carp net!!
                John - Kingfisher
                Talk Angling Senior Member
                Club Record Holder on Grand Union Canal Knowle:D

Comment

im not sure its the swinging in of fish that damages mouths,,,,,i think its heavy strikes and bigger hooks that do it....very rarely see canal fish with deformed lips you cant lift much above 2 or 3 oz on 2 elastic but what do i know!!!
                  In darkness we do what we can
                  In daylight we're oblivion

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Teepot
                    im not sure its the swinging in of fish that damages mouths,,,,,i think its heavy strikes and bigger hooks that do it....very rarely see canal fish with deformed lips you cant lift much above 2 or 3 oz on 2 elastic but what do i know!!!
                    thats spot on teepot natural venue fish seem in better nick than on commercials lip wise . i am sure barbless hooks arnt always used considering some of the fish i've seen
                    the carrot bites back:D
                    ooh you are awful!!

Comment

think maybe you are right about it c.t i have been in matches were everything as got to be landed by net. i all ways carry to landing nets one for big fish and one for small fish, just if the rules say you must land everything i only swing in fish about 4ozs (yes I include myself to of doing that ) but with a pole you just cant swing fish in over 8ozs but think you may have some think there c.t about that... also Larry is right to, heavy striking and bigger hooks deformed lips, i have seen a lot of fish with deformed lips some times i think how did he get that hook in there......

Comment

What about fishing with rod and line, all small fish get swung in on the rod

Comment

Not at Manor Leisure Neil, nor at many venues if you don't want to be turfed off!!
                          John - Kingfisher
                          Talk Angling Senior Member
                          Club Record Holder on Grand Union Canal Knowle:D

Comment

Comment

Working...
                            X