Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Fishing in Ireland - is it finished??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing in Ireland - is it finished??

I have been going to Ireland every may for over 18 years now and the festivals have steadily decreased in size - this is a good thing in some respects as those that do go get spaced out more and get better fishing as a result.

The last few years there have been problems with razor mussels in the lakes causing really clear water and consequently making it harder to catch during the day - evening fishing has always been excellent - but the match catches have reduced compared to the hey days back in the 80's and early 90's

Additionally there have been reports of netting of roach and bream to be ploughed into farmers fields for fertaliser but how true this is I'm not sure.

My question is - how many people on here have been to Ireland before on festivals and stopped going?? Would you consider going again and if not why not.... perhaps you have never been - what would encourage you to go or what is putting you off?
    Simon Young
    Admin
    Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
    web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

What stops people fishing festivals in ireland is the fact there are so many more at home on commercials where people think they stand a better chance of winning as its far easier to win on a commercial than a natural. More and more anglers are only interested in the money and lets face it if you fish a commercial ten times you stand a fair chance against anyone, if you fish a natural venue once a year its a lot more difficult. Never entered a festival in ireland but do enjoy pleasure fishing for bags of roach and skimmers as all the slabs seem to have disappeared

Comment

hi simon the erne system is full of zebra mussels and water clarity is to clear, even for us here in northern ireland the erne is a bit of hit and miss for matches now, some will still catch well, but most will struggle, fish are general in pockets instead of being well spread out. i only fish the odd match on the erne now because of this why spend money on bait and diesel when you are assured of a decent days fishing anymore.

Comment

as a local still consider the bann at portglenone the best and fairest venu in the country, fishes all year round, big bream weights in the summer and good roach fishing in the winter.

Comment

out of interest why does an increase in mussels cause clear water?

Comment

I think it's because mussels and clams and the like are mini-filtration units, could be that's how they feed.
            MATRIX HALIFAX

Comment

any angler wishing to learn the truth about the state of Irish fishing should read Geoff Coopers comment's. Geoff a Sheffield lad owns a guest house in Tarmonberry.He also has a column in Sheffields Angling Star.To read Geoffs comment,s put Geoff Cooper into Ask go to page 13 and look for Coopers comment,s
              I have an incidental on my left shoulder, he's always there, he's my friend.
              He says he gives me good advice. does he ?

Comment

Any takers on coming with me and a few others to the Classic Fishing Festival next year in Enniskillen - week of 28th April. Will definately be good craic - I will handle the bookings so all you guys would have to do is pay and drive! Anyone interested then send me a PM.
                Simon Young
                Admin

Comment

Hi,

The River barrow in Athy, County Kildare is fishing its socks off,great bags of hybrids and roach are being caught and some huge specimen perch.

I don,t know too much about the lakes but i know some of them are getting hammered by F/n.

Cheers
                  Bren
                  [URL="http://www.talkangling.co.uk/upload/match_fishing_talk_angling_chat.html?nojs=1#goto_forumsearch"]A Brilliant little function[/URL]

Comment

What do you mean by "getting hammered by F/n" Brendan?
                    Simon Young
                    Admin

Comment

Originally posted by Oneabung
                      What do you mean by "getting hammered by F/n" Brendan?
                      Foreign Nationals.....Its a major problem over here at the moment.
                      [URL="http://www.talkangling.co.uk/upload/match_fishing_talk_angling_chat.html?nojs=1#goto_forumsearch"]A Brilliant little function[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                      X