Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

why doesnt anybody fish canals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why doesnt anybody fish canals?

i've noticed that not many people like fishing canals anymore. why is that? i fish my local canal and regually catch bream to 3lb and roach to 1lb so its not fishing badly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Because they are like tap water........to clear my mate

Comment

like you I love canals, and know that they hold lots of good fish. I rally like how cheap they are too!
      However, I went to fish the GUC last Sunday at Welton nr Daventry and it was like trying to cross the road in Piccadily circus! The float didn't stay in the water for more than 3 - 4 minutes at a time .Now I know that everyone says boats affect anglers not fish, they may be right cos I freaked out, it was madness
      Fished winter league in leicester and it was great no boats
      Are you club matches open to others?
      Cheers...Mark
      Can't catch enough.....

Comment

our canel is brilliant, next to no boats. yes mate they are open. are you interested in taking part?
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

yes I am, when is it? Aug 1st?
          How much?
          Can't catch enough.....

Comment

yer august 1st 9am draw £5.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Send me a PM with all the details where etc and I'll see you there mate.
              Thanks a lot...Mark

ps I'm no superstar, just like the canals
              Can't catch enough.....

Comment

Originally posted by james82 View Post
                yer august 1st 9am draw £5.
                James could you let me know the details please mate.I'm in Cov and used to fish a lot of matches on the canals in the 80's and 90's.Have also fished Cov canal many times and had some very good catches.Cheers mate,Norm
                Whats a commercial fishery ?

Comment

Originally posted by james82 View Post
                  i've noticed that not many people like fishing canals anymore. why is that? i fish my local canal and regually catch bream to 3lb and roach to 1lb so its not fishing badly.
                  because you cant get away with 6lb straight through and you have to make an effort

chesterfield canal runs straight through this village and i use it quite a bit. but you have to be prepared to drop a 10oz hook link if thats what it takes.
                  north nott's member and serial buyer of stuff i dont need :D

Comment

Dog s**t, cyclists, joggers, boats, unsafe parking, long, awkward walks, lots of bad pegs with few fish, no facilities, that enough reasons?!

Comment

Canals

I grew up fishing the Leeds/Liverpool and still love it to death.
                      In a way Nathan is right, loads of hassle with the general public (can take boats).
                      Some of the best fishing on the Leeds is in the urban areas toward Liverpool.
                      Massive Bream and Roach shoals as well as Tench.
                      Trouble is the gangs of youths that roam the place. You just can't feel safe and comfortable fishing there.
                      On the gathering storm comes a tall handsome man, in a dusty black coat and red right hand.

Comment

I occasionally fish the Cov just t'other side of Polesworth.

Don't catch much and the boats are a nuisance, but it'll be better in autumn/winter when the schools are back and the boaters gone.

Comment

cobblers nathan......i have 2 secure carparks toilets shower you need double figures to frame.....i get fed up with people knocking canals who dont use them come and see us lets see what you think then. i have fished commies with less facilitys than we have
                          In darkness we do what we can
                          In daylight we're oblivion

Comment

facilities? whats all that about then?
                            since when was fishing only done on campsites and fishomania ponds?

picture the scene. "oooh no, i couldnt possibly mix that groundbait by hand! i might break a nail" and "i'll have to get my butler to do it for me"

good lord. most of the places round here havnt been stocked with a ratio 0f 300lb per peg.
                            well i say most lol. ive got hayfield and the other one at retford on the doorstep
                            north nott's member and serial buyer of stuff i dont need :D

Comment

Originally posted by NathanWatson View Post
                              Dog s**t, cyclists, joggers, boats, unsafe parking, long, awkward walks, lots of bad pegs with few fish, no facilities, that enough reasons?!
                              i used to fish tthe canals in the west mids around wolverhampton for 4 years and i am in total agreement with nathan on this except for the walks and facilities the rest makes for a day of total hassle. I have had mountain bikers racing 2 abreast down the towpath and not stopping for any one joggers swearing at anglers and threatening harm due to the pole stopping them and the very worst is fishing in a carsy with dog filth every were.

The boats really were the least of the problems just weaving around as captain pug wash for the week end had a bit of over stear.

In all the days fishing was in no way relaxing i spent more time watching the tow path for loonies, drunks, bikers etc than fishing.

It is for anglers to choose which they prefer canal, river, lake etc but if canals were so good why do people pay £5 - £10 to fish a commercial when they can fish a canal for £3. For the reasons above in my case in the east we have drains instead of canals and in the winter they are all matched up despite the mud because you can have a decent days fishing without being hassled.
                              Steve Davies

Comment

Working...
                              X