Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

BAA membership - good value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BAA membership - good value?

Hi all,

I was on the verge of joining the BAA (B'ham Anglers Assoc) as, at £30 per annum, it looked to be very good value for money, given the choice of waters. However, I recently got talking to an ex-member who said he'd not renewed because the pegs he'd visited (he was talking about the Severn) were poorly maintained, overgrown, etc.

Any comments?

Your mate is right Kev,but that means those pegs are not getting a lot of pressure and you get an awful lot of water for the money.Regards Peter.
    Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

Its great value in my opinion, ok some of the pegs do get very little pressure so you may need to do a bit of gardening, but to me that adds a bit of spice to the fishing.

they also have some very good pools now with perfect platforms

Comment

BAA great value for money, but bank clearing is now non existant, as member clubs, did not attend bank clearing days during close seasons, i've been to venues in September, and still had to dig out a couple of pegs, all the popular places on severn, have plenty of fishable pegs now mugs like me an mate do a couple every saturday we go. Just look at venues were matches have been held.
        There was a match on Knowle sands 1-2-3 section yesterday, only three anglers pegged opposite the danery, all overgrown, i was on the danery and these have all been cleared, and pegs are on pallets, ---- we still collected three carrier bags of tins, food packaging, and bottles etc, and that was from the first 5 pegs !!!, i only been asked for BAA card twice in 20 years, and one of them was this year, on their new pool. A lot of people fishing now without cards or day tickets, but they just tell you to F**k off when asked to leave

Comment

Thanks guys. Confirmed really what I thought all along. Like all organisations of this kind - the more you put in, the more you get out generally speaking, although there will always be those that put in a bit more effort.

I WILL be joining, although of course there's only 5 months left to run on this year's membership. I'm dying to get out on the river and banking some barbel.ny location suggestions? Hampton Loade?

Comment

Forgot it runs Jan to Dec,the loade still produces but its a fair hike to the better pegs,loads of water on the Teme if you catch the river right,banks can be a bit iffy if it rains(i always take a rope),make sure your gears up to it,they pull like stink and its only a stream compared to the severn.atb Peter.
            Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

Iused to fish cleeve prior on the river just along from stubb's pool, had some lovely roach fishing on hemp, barbel, bream and tench. The track is bit or was ruff tho

Comment

Originally posted by hurricane View Post
                Forgot it runs Jan to Dec,the loade still produces but its a fair hike to the better pegs,loads of water on the Teme if you catch the river right,banks can be a bit iffy if it rains(i always take a rope),make sure your gears up to it,they pull like stink and its only a stream compared to the severn.atb Peter.
                Thanks Pete. No probs on the gear as I've just invested in a new barbel rod that needs to be christened pronto

Comment

I feel that considering it is the birmingham angling association,nearly all of the waters are a long trek from birmingham,i would rather pay £5 to fish a good local commercial water than spend £5+ on petrol,to fish an overgrown sparsely stocked baa venue,most angling associations have some local waters available,and despite the baa being interested with the sale of local fisheries,none have actually been purchased i think this has been the downfall of the baa.

Comment

Working...
                  X