Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

fish identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fish identification

Can anyone tell we what this fish is ? i caught two of them yesterday at a gravel pit up my way

Thanks in advance

http://www.anglinginscotland.co.uk/
    http://anglingscotland.proboards.com/index.cgi

Originally posted by pike_hunter View Post
    Can anyone tell we what this fish is ? i caught two of them yesterday at a gravel pit up my way

Thanks in advance
    Ruffe mate,havent seen one for years.also known as daddy ruffe amongst other things
    Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

Cheers for that mate, now i have the name i googled it and it dosnt look like the kind of thing that you would want in a gravel pit, but as the water gets flooded in the winter from a loch that sits beside it then not a lot can be done

http://www.anglinginscotland.co.uk/
      http://anglingscotland.proboards.com/index.cgi

Comment

Spot on hurricane, a daddy ruffe - can't remember the last time I saw one either. Beautiful little fish also known as the 'pope' - from the perch family. I've caught them from canals and slow rivers in the distant past.

Well done PH
        [I][url]www.aquonix.co.uk[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by pike_hunter View Post
          Cheers for that mate, now i have the name i googled it and it dosnt look like the kind of thing that you would want in a gravel pit, but as the water gets flooded in the winter from a loch that sits beside it then not a lot can be done
          Dont think they do any harm mate,but they can be a pain if you fish maggot or worm(greedy little blighters)its a shame they dont grow to any size a big one would make a stunning trophy photo.Regards Peter. ps FF cant wait to see your next avatar lol.
          Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

I once won a junior match on the swale. One minnow, two gudgeon and a ruffe made up my 4oz winning bag! Wasn't sure what the ruffe was until the weigh in, never seen one since mind!
            Starbeck Angling Club

[url]http://steveluptonfishing.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

They have saved a lot of blanks on cold winter matches! The mids canals used to have lots of them, but they appear to have vanished?

Had they been birds the world would know about it,but fish don't appear to matter?
              Can't catch enough.....

Comment

The British record is 5oz 4 drams caught in 1980 from west view farm cumbria
                A bad days fishing is better than a good day at work?????:p:eek:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

A 5 oz ruffe... doesn't bear thinking about! I remeber catching quit a few of the little blighters many years ago on the Waveney at Bungay in Suffolk.

Comment

5 or 6 years back when i was a regular on the chesterfield canal i couldnt do a session without getting at least one of em.
                    tommy ruff round this end.
                    i'll never forget as my fishin buds used to take the mick constantly while they were into 1lb roach and tench.
                    as i get back into canal fishing this year i'll update everyone and tell you if im still the specimen ruff man that i used to be
                    north nott's member and serial buyer of stuff i dont need :D

Comment

life savours them, many a time chucked a lob worm out hoping to get one and a point in league matches.
                      Bless the little b####rs

Comment

Used to be plentiful many moons ago. Maybe the cormarants have taken their toll?
                        I remember fishing a club match years ago and it was freezing...... With an hour left to go I caught 3 of these (after changing to ' pinkie' hookbait) and finished 3rd!!
                        I think 2 anglers caught 1 roach each and everybody else failed to weigh in!!
                        Thats how bad the day was!
                        Used to be a pest, but often the difference between a blank and a catch.
                        Haven't seen one for ages now though?
                        Nice piccy's
                        If heaven doesn't allow fishing, I aint going !!

Comment

I've just looked in my book 'freshwater fishes of the british isles - no sign of ruffe or pope int he index - but mention of the pumpkinseed!!! How bizarre!

Comment

Just read it properly and found a picture and some info - they are (or were - the book was published in1994!) apparently rapidly colonising the North American Great Lakes and they are/were causing probs with whitefish populations in Loch Lomond as they feed on the eggs on the the bottom. Interesting little fish by all accounts.... I wnt one!

Comment

Just read it properly and found a picture and some info - they are (or were - the book was published in1994!) apparently rapidly colonising the North American Great Lakes and they are/were causing probs with whitefish populations in Loch Lomond as they feed on the eggs on the the bottom. Interesting little fish by all accounts.... I want one!

Comment

Working...
                              X