• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hawb81
    Talk Angling User
    Talk Angling Behemoth
    • Sep 2009

i remember catching a few of these when i was in my teens but havnt seen them since i started up again i cant remember where i caught them from either i think i had a lot from the river vyrny at meiford and a couple out of the canal at swindon and caunsall

Comment

• david_avfc
      dedicated_angler_4ever
      Site Life Member
      • Feb 2009

my dad won a match on the oxford canal with a bag of 200+ daddy ruffe, nothing else but ruffe, he had very sore hands afterwards i remember him telling me! there are still plenty on the oxford canal, it's a beautiful fish, A fish not many take a second glance at!! I was going to put one in my aquarium but decided against it incase it upset my goast carp and grass carp among other course fish. but always nice to catch a daddy ruffe. a 2/3 oz ruffe is a clonker...

Comment

• paul k
        talk angling moderator
        PHD in Angling
        • Oct 2009

We used to call them tommy ruffe, the grand union was full of them-better than a blank or a stickleback,eh?
        Team south- 2014 talk angling inter regional team champs
        Alwight tweacle?

Comment

• Ian.B
          Talk Angling Senior Member
          TA 750+ Club
          • Aug 2007

Quite often see a few get caught at Hallcroft, always nice to see one when it's hard going

Comment

• stkflote
            Talk Angling User
            Bagging Machine
            • Oct 2008

I.ve caught a few Ruff from trent and mersey canal at shardlow
            had some in last summer

Comment

• Larry Teepot
              Talk Angling Admin
              PHD in Angling
              • Aug 2006

still in the cut at small heath and lapworth........i must be an expert on them i catch them regular....also had a bullhead on a pinkie at lapworth in the weir overrun
              In darkness we do what we can
              In daylight we're oblivion

Comment

• Picasso
                Registered Club Member
                Trusted Angler
                • Nov 2009

I caught 3 on saturday on the Bham worcs canal by the navi, and the guy next to me had 9, so still plenty about.

Comment

• nh6103
                  Talk Angling User
                  • Apr 2010

still loads in the staffs worcs canal as well especially awbridge
                  heaven wont have me
                  and hells afraid i'll take over

Comment

• BIG COL
                    Talk Angling User
                    PHD in Angling
                    • Jan 2010

We used to call them BORE PIGS in Worcester
                    I will always remember Tommy Pickerings face and the Stainforth National Squad we were Coaching for Div 2 National on the Severn
                    When i told them what we called them
                    Colin

Comment

• andrew65
                      andy
                      Talk Angling Behemoth
                      • Oct 2009

Ok would rather catch a bream in a match BUT the ruffe is a fish with real attitude!! I mean it bites when nothing else will ,they will take a 3 gram float and a massive lob straight under ,no worries and when u get them out they flair right up as if to say........... hey DONT MESS WITH ME ,IM HARD..lol lol
                      Often over here its catch the handfull of fish u have in ur swim first then switch to catch as many ruffe as you can before the end whistle goes!Slightly over depth ,shotted right down, hold back then let it go ever so with the current and they love B & J lots of it pure...............................I love them!!!

Comment

• isismad
                        Talk Angling User
                        Small Fish
                        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by andrew65 View Post
                        Ok would rather catch a bream in a match BUT the ruffe is a fish with real attitude!! I mean it bites when nothing else will ,they will take a 3 gram float and a massive lob straight under ,no worries and when u get them out they flair right up as if to say........... hey DONT MESS WITH ME ,IM HARD..lol lol
                        Often over here its catch the handfull of fish u have in ur swim first then switch to catch as many ruffe as you can before the end whistle goes!Slightly over depth ,shotted right down, hold back then let it go ever so with the current and they love B & J lots of it pure...............................I love them!!!
                        They really do have attitude. A Skin Diver with full apparatus surfaced in the swim I was fishing on the middle reaches of the Thames one afternoon. After thanking him for buggaring up my fishing I got chatting about what he'd found down there. Apart from locating some big chub (difficult as they are pretty shy) and pike he said the only fish he found that weren't scared of him were Ruffe. They literally were nosing around between his hands when he disturbed the silt on the bottom.

Comment

Working...
                        X