Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Old River Witham Matches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• davelincs
    replied
    Although i have never been on the train to fish matches, my grandfather used to take me on the 7-25 am from lincoln tofive mile house, bardney, stixwold, kirkstead, even in the week these trains used to be full when they arrived at lincoln, you had to sit on your basket in train corridors,
    i think the trains stopped using that line in about 1965 not dead sure about that though,
    they were good days, pity they will never come back
    or am i just rambling on a little bit

Leave a comment:

• kenh
    started a topic Old River Witham Matches

Old River Witham Matches

The pubs names Oneabung cant recall is either the Railway Inn which is on the Woodhall Spa side of Kirkstead Bridge or the Kings Arms which is located under the bridge right on the other side of the river.
    There is very well contested matches held during the winter months which used to be held on the kings arms stretch but are now held on the upstream side of tattersal bridge,uner the Riverside Tackle unfortunatly they only attract around 20 or so anglers but the standards are very high.a series of matches are also held in the summer for the Holly Farm residents
    The weights of the winter opens can vary from a 44lb winning weight of bream and skimmers to 8lb nets of skimmers and roach.
    Some times during the winter months the very big roach fall to the lone angler using bread punch and hempseed.
    Not sure if the river is the same now as the days when your dad used to take you along,has the water is now gin clear with a solid bank of very heavy weed extending out to around 8metres,back in those days i understand the river was somewhat coloured and had a growth of lilly pads in most pegs.
    I do understand tho that buses and trains used to bring loadsand loads of anglers both Saturday and Sundays right thro the season particulary from the Sheffield and Yorkshire areas and the river gave grearenjoyment and the chance to escape from a hum drum weeks work to all who travelled there and like you simon the chance for dad to gently introduce his son to the finer points of angling.
Working...
X