Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Angling Trust looking shakey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angling Trust looking shakey

Angling Trust announces restructuring

The Angling Trust has announced a number of cuts to its central operations in Nottingham and Leominster. Despite widespread publicity and distribution of more than half a million membership leaflets, the level of recruitment has to date, fallen below expectations. This consequential shortfall in revenue, along with higher than expected costs, has created a situation which was threatening the viability of the Trust.
    Of 4 million anglers less than 1% have joined the Trust – many more were expected to have signed up and, despite thousands of further members of former organisations due to renew in the remaining months of the year, the Board was not confident the organisation could continue to provide sufficient service to members without making savings.

This shortfall, added to difficulties created by the merger, presented a difficult situation which could only be rectified by reducing the overheads of the organisation. Consequently deep cuts have been made and a number of staff have been made redundant.

“These measures are necessary to balance the Angling Trust’s books. It is difficult to conceal the board’s disappointment in the response we have had from anglers. However, we expect to be able to continue at a satisfactory level of service.” Said Dr Stephen Marsh-Smith, the Trust’s chairman.

“More than ever before, angling needs representation at national level to continue the fight against pollution, inadequate legislation, illegal canoeing, poaching, predation and all the other threats facing angling today.” Angling needs to have a strong body to promote our unique sport, increase participation and ensure that the whole business flourishes. For only £20 per angler, this can easily be done, but we need every individual angler to join as a member themselves, as well as their clubs and sponsorship from all those who benefit from the £3billion angling business”. “Anyone can join the Trust today and ensure the sport is represented at a national and international level by completing an application form, visiting www.anglingtrust.net or calling 0844 7700616,” he continued.

Chief Executive Mark Lloyd said: “Anglers need to imagine what the future might look like without a national body to represent their needs, and join the Angling Trust now. We have worked very hard before and after the merger to develop the national body but it seems that too many anglers think that others will support the cause for them. Anglers have to realise that having a central body representing their interests, protecting their angling and campaigning to ensure we can all go fishing tomorrow does require a commitment from everyone today.”
    [CENTER][URL="http://www.talkangling.co.uk/upload/blog.php?b=31&goto=next"]Life at the bottom A noobs guide (My Blog, Paul Law)[/URL][/CENTER]
    [CENTER] [/CENTER]
    [CENTER][B][U]Carlsburg Disgorgers[/U][/B][/CENTER]
    [CENTER] [/CENTER]
    [CENTER]Carlsburg don't make disgorgers but if the did they would be the best Disgorgers in the World.[/CENTER]
    [CENTER] [/CENTER]
    [CENTER] [/CENTER]

It's a bloody disgrace really.
    I know that there are numbers of us that have had issues in the past with the old NFA, but people have to learn to move on.
    Unfortunately anglers in general appear to be to apathetic to care about the future of their sport/hobby or see the need for a recognised voice to represent it and combat any future threat to it.
    Without a recognised governing body to give us that voice with regards to funding, fishery and associated issues, Government, both national and local will be able to railroad through any legislation they see fit involving our waterways and anything that may have an effect on it unopposed.

Despite this far to many anglers won't give two hoots and will happily stick their heads in the sand feeling that their sport/hobby is untouchable which won't help matters.

The present system of funding obviously hasn't worked. The only way forward as I see it would be for a levy to be added to the cost of a rod license which will still cause howls of protest from those who don't give a damn about the future of their sport/hobby.
    [COLOR=blue][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/pnm123/Smileys/icon_smile_big.gif[/IMG] "Minxed" to the max.[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/pnm123/Smileys/icon_smile_shock.gif[/IMG] [/FONT][/B][/COLOR]
    [URL="http://petermorton1.xanga.com/"][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]Click this link to read "My Fishing Diaries"[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL]

Comment

Whats frightning is not even 1% have subscribed at a cost not much more than a day at a commie,

What people need to realise, is the future of angling depends on the success of the Angling Trust, The old angling voices went stale long ago and with all current issues we are up against tree huggers included, we really do need them, people need to dig deep and find £20
      [CENTER][URL="http://www.talkangling.co.uk/upload/blog.php?b=31&goto=next"]Life at the bottom A noobs guide (My Blog, Paul Law)[/URL][/CENTER]
      [CENTER] [/CENTER]
      [CENTER] [/CENTER]
      [CENTER]Carlsburg don't make disgorgers but if the did they would be the best Disgorgers in the World.[/CENTER]
      [CENTER] [/CENTER]
      [CENTER] [/CENTER]

Comment

Unfortunately Paul the response to this thread will probably demonstrate the problem the Angling Trust face far more eloquently than any ensuing debate on the subject.
        [COLOR=blue][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/pnm123/Smileys/icon_smile_big.gif[/IMG] "Minxed" to the max.[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/pnm123/Smileys/icon_smile_shock.gif[/IMG] [/FONT][/B][/COLOR]
        [URL="http://petermorton1.xanga.com/"][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]Click this link to read "My Fishing Diaries"[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL]

Comment

mate not many people will respond i for one haven't joined the trust and dont think i will be not for any silly reason, i find these days with tackle prices going up everyweek the price of bait goin up and hpw much it costs for a days fishing in so expensive these days i pay my lincense fees which go up each year we see how much the agency makes per years how many millions and in 20 years ive been asked for my lincense once so were is our money goin i have to ask and yes im sure it does go on something but id like to see more for my rod lincense and people will think the same about the anglin trust im sure they will do what they say but its another £20 a year for us to sit and wonder what they am doing each year we have gone this long without them so what is the big panic now? im not bein a tart so dont have a go if it was something so special we wouldn't be lookin at the figures your talkin about mate, i cant see them ever gettin the numbers join them, look at bewdley with the swans it was the fishermen protesting that got things changed good old des fishermen have alot of power's these days, its only my thoughts
          [SIZE=7][/SIZE][SIZE=7][/SIZE][SIZE=1][/SIZE][SIZE="6"][SIZE=1][SIZE=7]malman floats[COLOR="#FF0000"][/COLOR][SIZE=5][/SIZE][B][/B][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][COLOR="#0000CD"][/COLOR]

Comment

Vidas

I can see where you coming from mate I really do but........................................

Hyperthetically

If the Angling Trust was to fail who will take over things like this click me thats just one of many departments they have, alot of there work goes un noticed,
            [CENTER] [/CENTER]
            [CENTER] [/CENTER]
            [CENTER] [/CENTER]
            [CENTER] [/CENTER]

Comment

Don't bury your heads in the sand. If you don't know what the angling trust is doing for YOU take a look at the website. It is absolutely free to look!!! This organisation is not there to cream easy money from anglers but to protect the future of our sport. As anglers we all have a responsibility to do our bit. It is our sport and no one else is going to fight for it. Big companies will continue to pollute waterways, canals and rivers, etc if no one is prepared to put up a fight to bring them to justice. I would rather see a couple of quid extra on my licence fee to make sure the trust get the funds it needs to do its job but until that happens I will gladly pay my 20 quid. How anyone can sit back and say they are not interested just beggars belief. If there comes a day when pollution ruins everything or the anti's have a major voice you will regret not paying your money, don't complain then that nobody is doing anything.

Comment

hi mate there is alot that people dont see but i thought that when it came to polution and such that the enviroment agency should be tackling these matters? , so what am we paying lincense money for when there aint enough baillifs to go around who's fighing to save the rivers? mate what do you think to the angling trust reducing there fee's to £10 a year and with around 7 mill fishermen in the country that surley will raise enough funds for them i just think its the £20 fee thats stoppin people join, it kills me paying for my lincense when i never get asked to see it yet i sit fishing knowin there are loads of fishermen enjoyin fishin without payin for it it es me of really,or how about maybe paying £30 a year for our license with the £6 extra going to the trust then we will no they have the funds instead of waiting to see if people will join
                [SIZE=7][/SIZE][SIZE=7][/SIZE][SIZE=1][/SIZE][SIZE="6"][SIZE=1][SIZE=7]malman floats[COLOR="#FF0000"][/COLOR][SIZE=5][/SIZE][B][/B][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][COLOR="#0000CD"][/COLOR]

Comment

If reducing the subs to a tenner would increase the membership I am all for it. Maybe this is something that the trust will have to consider in the future. I know more than most how tight cash is as I have spent most of the year on short time so having to pay less would be great. I am not having a dig or preaching to anyone on here just trying to point out, as Paul and Pete have done, that this is really important. Totally agree with you on people not having a licence when you have paid for yours but that is the chance they take. I have been asked to show mine about 4 times in the last couple of years and twice people fishing on those venues had no licence so faced some sort of fine. Very satisfying to see it I can tell you . Imagine the power and the voice fishing would have as a professional body if the angling trust could get 2 or 3 million members. Maybe reduced fees would do that. Putting it on the licences definitely would but there would need to be some sort of referendum for that to happen. Then we could really look forward to a bright future for angling.

Comment

true mate i think even if it was £6 on top of the license with the amount of licenses sold i think it will generate enough funds that way and if the enviroment agency aint fighting polution like i thought they was doing there aint enough bailiffs why do they keep putting the license fees up, if the trust will be doing more than the enviroment agency why not give them bothn even share of the rod license saft ideas i no but there must be away of raisin funds if people wont pert with £20

Comment

less than 10p a day......i think it should be a compulsory thing..after all these years we get one Voice........and typically as we do with everything we dont support it .Anglers are the biggest danger to themselves. If i have leaned anything in my life,if its the loudest it will get listened to .i hope this can be turned around and still made into the loudest.

join it you know it makes sense
                      In darkness we do what we can
                      In daylight we're oblivion

Comment

Originally posted by vidas View Post
                        hi mate there is alot that people dont see but i thought that when it came to polution and such that the enviroment agency should be tackling these matters? , so what am we paying lincense money for when there aint enough baillifs to go around who's fighing to save the rivers? mate what do you think to the angling trust reducing there fee's to £10 a year and with around 7 mill fishermen in the country that surley will raise enough funds for them i just think its the £20 fee thats stoppin people join, it kills me paying for my lincense when i never get asked to see it yet i sit fishing knowin there are loads of fishermen enjoyin fishin without payin for it it es me of really,or how about maybe paying £30 a year for our license with the £6 extra going to the trust then we will no they have the funds instead of waiting to see if people will join
                        Everything in society today is all about numbers , hospitals , dentists , unemployment , its all numbers , numbers , numbers . I have a mate from the E/A that goes checking licences and they ain't concerned about who's got licences , its the ones who ain't . He isn't going to waste his time looking on well fished commies for licences cheats , these guys know where to look to get the maximum numbers of offenders . I haven't been checked in years but i know that he'll get 5 cheats a week cos they know where to go . Just because you don't get checked doesn't mean you shouldn't get one !

Comment

I think that these days with so many anglers fishing proffesionally run commercials were they are run for profit that this added expense is not worth paying because the owner will sort out any problems and if he can't the angler can fish another one. If you fish rivers, canals then there is a obvious benefit that can be seen, the only way around this is to add it to the licence at a reduced rate. Also any events run by the trust should be for members only i.e. fishomania this would recruite a few more, I am a member myself to help give it a start but if i don't see any benefit to angling then i will not renew.
                          Last edited by D N W; 7 August 2009, 08:11 AM.
                          Steve Davies

Comment

I think the problem is that £20 for no real immediate material benefit is seen as very expensive. £10 less so, so I'm inclined to believe that reducing the membership fees would be beneficial.

The best way by far though would be a levy on the Rod License.

Comment

i think it would be like you say paying £20 out and seein nothing for it people dont want to do it which explains the amount of members they have got, i haven't joined and all the fishermen i no haven't the people i spoke to said they wasn't joining because they all said they had been fishing for 20 years plus there wasn't an angling trust then so why now there comments not mine, i do tend to agree with some points but like we all no the anti nob heads can moan all they want and disrupt some matches but fishing being a 3 billion pound business the goverment couldn't afford to ban fishing the revenue they would loose in taxes the dole numbers would doulble it would kill them, why cant the enviroment agency fight the cause seeing as there figures show how many millions prof they make each year why dont they use them funds to fight our cause, and as for them not checking commies i go to places sometimes that aint well known and still only once in 20 years ive been checked, so like i said i cant see what the e.a do with the funds why will people pay to another agency £20 i aint sayin the e.a do nothing but i fish all over the country and dont see anyone we have all got our own thoughts on this its no good moaning to each other people just dont want to keep giving money out these days i do think they can reduce the figure though and still make enough funds

Comment

Working...
                              X