Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Ron Thompson Tackle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ron Thompson Tackle

Hi Guys, Firstly does anyone know who Ron Thomson is? and if you have taken a chance on buying a piece of his tackle, what did you honestly think of it?
    I like to think i'm an honest sort of guy, I brought the Full carbon, Warlord Avon Quiver, it has a feeder section with three push in tips and an Avon top with a 1.5lb test curve. I just found out that it has a recorded line rateing of 6-12lb. I took a chance "i say chance because of what you hear about the brand" and paid £26.00 including delivery, and what a piece of kit, at the bottom end of the market.
    I think the rumours are "possibly" manufactured, Freddie Laker and British Airways come to mind if your old enough to remember. If you've taken a chance at this end of the market with Ron Thompson tackle, be honest, what's your oppinion and remember the end of the market your at, I could have paid £200.00 the other end. Bill.

hi m8 i bought 2 rt rods and not impressed,i had my gear nicked and had to replace quickly so i went bottom end just to get going again,i had the rt 10 or 11 ft feeder rod broke first time out playing a fish the other is 13 ft warlord method and to be honest i just dont like fishing with it so i try hard not to use it,im waiting for one of the old boys in the club to ask for one then i will give it away.i replaced the broke one with a shakes mach 11 ft feeder and it is superb, i know people slag shakes but for the money you wont go wrong and proberly better than others abit more expensive.and dont forget it is down to personal choice what suits one wont another.

Comment

I got one of the 'godfather' avon/quivers about 4 months ago when i was short on cash and had to replace an old rod i smashed to pieces shutting the car boot, the avon tip is 1.75tc on it and comes with the quiver end and 3 tips too. Got no complaints with it at all had carp upto 20ish on both sections of it and though it had a right old bend in it it coped.

Found that the one ive got feels alot heavier than it looks.

Comment

As for the first question,i THINK he was a presenter on an Australian satelite/cable tv fishing show???. as for the tackle,i only own 1 bit of kit( the RT long range receiver set)had it for about 3 years,never had a single problem,the most important thing is if the kit youve got does the job then dont worry what anyone else thinks,if it works for you the thats all that matters, yes its nice for others to endorse your choice, but at the end of the day its anglers who catch fish not the tackle,if you are at the top end of a competative sport then you have to have the best available,but for meare mortals (like me)what you do with it is far more important than than what it cost or the brand/label for others to admire or as in the case of tackle tarts to sneer at.it appears you are happy with your purchase so enjoy the fact that youve saved a fortune.Regards Peter.
        Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

Thanks guy's, as i suspected, it's down to personal choice, bugget and experiences. Ron Thompson being Australian that's one i've not heard. I've got the rod i mentioned and a quad set of remote alarms and no problems. Thanks for your time, cheers Bill

Comment

Bill what a interesting thread.I have the Ron thompson seatbox, I have had it about a year now so I think I can give an honest opinion on the box and in my opinion if performs just as well as some of the boxes in a higher price bracket.True the boxes at the higher end of the market are of a superior standard but you are paying £400 or £500 and remember the Ron thompson box can be picked up for about £140 with a footplate and side tray included.So in conclusion if your after a sturdy comfortable seatbox for a very conservative price you couldn't go far wrong in giving this a go. Kevin.

Comment

Ron Thompson and similar brands like Steve Clayton, Theseus, Dragon carp, (Insert budget brand here) Are names you just can't trust.

By that, I don't mean you should never buy their products, Just that you need to watch what your buying, Listen to people that have already bought the product, Give it a good looking over.

I really do think its a risk buying budget brands but sometimes its a risk worth taking, I have and its paid off on many occasions. If your happy with your purchase then that's all that really matters.

Comment

Guy's, I totally agree, you take a chance on buget brands, it just amazes me that there is so much negetive feedback on a particular brand when it goes wrong for the purchaser.(it's a gamble) I paid £26.00 for my RT buget Avon, i could buy a new one every year for the next five years and still would not have paid the price at the top end of the market. I nearly brought the RT seatbox but because of the negative feedback i read i went for the Maver, should have joined Talk Angling two months ago and listened to Kevin.. Bill
                Last edited by billythreepuds; 9 August 2009, 06:14 PM. Reason: grammer

Comment

i own a ron thompson dialex whip and although its obviously a budget whip it is suprisingly well built and light. i cant fault it for the price.
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I think its the name half the time & not the quality. A bit like cars really. people wont buy a skoda just because of the name.
                    I do sea fishing & bought a rt beach shelter before selling it to a mate & replacing it with a john holden one . supposed to be the best you can buy. Didnt perform any better than the rt one imho & i used them both on the east coast in gales in the middle of feb.
                    so some of his gear is good & some is not so good.

Comment

NOT 100% on this but im confident Svendson sports had a lot to do with it in the past. google svendsen sports.
                      Last edited by hurricane; 10 August 2009, 08:02 PM. Reason: add&spellerror

Comment

name not price.

oggy1, totally agree, it's the name. Skoda now owned by VW, sales have gone up. RT For the amount you pay its good gear. I know that some of the Big named brands within the Tackle industry, actually own some of the cheaper ones, why! because they get two bites of the cherry, Perhaps if we knew who manufactured RT gear, we all might be suprised...Bill

Comment

http://www.svendsen-sports.co.uk/Try this

Comment

I own a Ron Thompson twin tip Barbel rod,allthough i use it more for wagler fishi9ng than anything and it does the biz for me.

Comment

Svendson Sports,

Hurricane, i Goggled Svendson Sports, it appears to me that they own, Ron Thompson, Okuma, Prologic and Savage gear...alright it's not Fox, Shimano or Maver but it's not bad tackle, i think the only name i hav'nt got is Savage....I bet if most Anglers owned up they've all got a bit of buget in thier box somewhere Thanks Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X