Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Hook Pulls / Losing Fish :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hook Pulls / Losing Fish :(

Hi Folks,

I've just started some River fishing and I'm trying to catch my first Barbel and failing badly

The main problem I have is that fish keep coming off the hook. Generally they will stay on for 10 seconds or more and then out pops the hook, no damage to the rig itself... What the eck am I doing wrong ?

Are there any specific reasons you'd get lots of hook pulls ? Yesterday for example I landed 1 fish and lost 4, previous to that I landed 4 and lost 7-8, previous to that I landed 2 and lost 4. Got really annoyed yesterday as I had a big un on, first one to take line from the reel anyhow, so it was either a nice little Barbel or a PB chub I would think (lots of chub there generally 3-4lb)...

I've got 12lb main line through to a swivel linked to 10lb fluro with size 10 barbless hook. Hooklength is 12-15 inches. As bait I'm using halibut pellet. Have a ledger at the swivel, which is 1.5 oz... The only bit of equipment thats probably not up to scratch is the rod. Currently using my match rod until I can afford to get a decent Barbel rod. In saying that I've not had a fish on greater that 5lb, I expect, so it should be able to handle that...

HELP !
    - Gaz

From my experience barbel are a very powerful fish, i suspect that you are losing a few because of your rod. Barbel have tough rubbery mouths so a more powerful rod will help to set the hook.

Have you thought of using a barbed hook and slightly flattening the barb.

Comment

Are you hair rigging, if so how big a gap are you leaving between bait and hook and what size pellets are you feedind, hooking? I would probably try a lighter line, smaller hook, smaller hook pellet, hair double the length of pellet and leave the bites longer to develop.

Comment

Well tbh I don't think that I've had any Barbel on so far, they have all been chub...

Possibly with the exception of that one yesterday, but he took 3-4 meters of line and was on for 10 seconds or more. Surely the hook would be set ??

The only other rod I have is a 2.5lb test curve carp rod

The hooks I've bought a all pre-banded and can't find barbed hooks with bands. In fact I've tried tying a few bands to hooks myself but they all unravel. You don't know a page in said internet that shows how to tie a banded hair to a hook thats not inline ? I don't want to tie a band to a hook using that 10lb fluro line...

Comment

Originally posted by NathanWatson View Post
          Are you hair rigging, if so how big a gap are you leaving between bait and hook and what size pellets are you feedind, hooking? I would probably try a lighter line, smaller hook, smaller hook pellet, hair double the length of pellet and leave the bites longer to develop.
          Yes the hooks I'm using are actually the Korum hooks with the band pre-tied. Size 10. I've got 8mm halibut pellets that seems standard for a size 10 hook from what I've read. Some people have actually said to increase the pellet size... I've tried a size 12 hook as well with 8mm pellet

I'm baiting with some 4mm halibuts and a few 8mm. I tried some DynamiteFrenzied hemp yesterday as well...

Comment

I would try a 12 or 14 hook and tie the band in a small loop then tie the hook with a knotless knot. Try a longer hair and just leave the bites longer.

Comment

The knotless knot though is the one where the hair length and hooklength are all in one though... I ideally wanted to stay away from this.

Whats the best knots to use to make just a hair on the hook without having the hooklength already attached ?

I've looked through the internet for such a knot but I can't find one...

Comment

What's wrong with having the hair and hooklength all in 1?

Comment

In my view I think we should try hide the fact the bait is tied to a pellet band which is tied to a hook. Using 10lb hooklength line is more noticeable that using really fine hairs. I bought some really light thin line for the task (50p from ebay) and would like to just make up some hairs in teh house to just hooks...

I also feel comfortable using my grinner knot to tie my hooks, if I start using that know I reckon I'll end up losing fish because my knots and hooks will come loose...

I'll give it a go, I'd just like to know the know just to tie a hair to the hook...

Comment

Originally posted by welshgaz View Post
                    In my view I think we should try hide the fact the bait is tied to a pellet band which is tied to a hook. Using 10lb hooklength line is more noticeable that using really fine hairs. I bought some really light thin line for the task (50p from ebay) and would like to just make up some hairs in teh house to just hooks...

I also feel comfortable using my grinner knot to tie my hooks, if I start using that know I reckon I'll end up losing fish because my knots and hooks will come loose...

I'll give it a go, I'd just like to know the know just to tie a hair to the hook...
                    Never tried it mate but I guess you could just lay the hair along the shank and whip over it, maybe add ome superglue? Or just try lighter hooklength, do you really need 10lb? And the knotless knot is very reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by NathanWatson View Post
                      Never tried it mate but I guess you could just lay the hair along the shank and whip over it, maybe add ome superglue? Or just try lighter hooklength, do you really need 10lb? And the knotless knot is very reliable.
                      Well I've been told that on the river here 10lb is the min line you should use, especially as Barbel are very strong... Just going by local knowledge really.

I guess I'll give it a go but not using this 10lb fluro stuff I have at the minute. It doesn't seem to be as flexible and subtle as some other lines...

Thanks for the info

Comment

Well Nathan Thanks !!
                        I've done a few hooklengths with the bait band on a very fine hair, just used a bit of super glue to hold them in place. I also done a few with knotless knots and not only do they look and lie better but they are so much easier to make ! So glad I tried a few of those now, I just hope the knots hold later

Comment

try changing the flurocarbon as this line is very stiff i,m no expert it,s just a thought

Comment

Yeah I've actually bought some braid yesterday, much more flexible and doesn't hold any memory from when they are wound up to put in the plastic wallets I use to keep all my hook lengths in...

Comment

it sounds stupid but are you checking your hook is sharp on every cast, it may be a rocky bottom and if you nick a rock on the way in it will blunt the hook, an inturned point will help stop this, its all i ever use, with a hook without an inturned point i was changing it every couple of casts due it going blunt.

Also make sure you are keeping the rod high, there are alot of snags and things on rivers and if your not keeping the rod high this can cause problems.

there sounds nothing wrong with the line your using but a size 10 hook seems a little big for an 8mm pellet i would try a 12.

Comment

Working...
                              X