Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

hooking technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hooking technique

sunday was a hard day at times, the fish only switched on properly for a hour n half and the rest of the times you had to have inch perfect presentation to get a bite, first 2 hours i was hooking the corn with abit of point showing, then i thought ill try banded pellet and had bites off small fish so that was out the question, so i decided it had to be the hook so i started burying the hook, had 4-5 carp through this but alot of the time thje corn was to soft and the hook was pulling through, so i had to scale down to a 18 hook from a 16 to try and achieve presentation, but then after having a few carp i started losing them due to the hook hold, so with that in mind as anyone got a method of hooking corn that buries a 16 hook without it pulling back through?

Have you tried using a baiting needle,insert it from tho open end and out the rounded end,hook it to the bend of the hook and pull all the way back through,remove the needle and twist the hook 45deg and ease back so the bend rests on the open edge with just the point exposed.works for me. Regards Peter.
    Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

try hair rigging mate, used it yesterday.. brilliant. even the bream were havin it.
      :confused: WOW, things have changed.:confused:

Comment

Originally posted by mark(wilf) williams View Post
        try hair rigging mate, used it yesterday.. brilliant. even the bream were havin it.
        Was that amongst 300 rods with all that commotion going on,them hair rig thingys must be good,(sorry i just couldnt resist mate).but your right mate they work for almost any bait.

Comment

yeah used hair rigs in the past on hard days to great sucess but just was thinking of a way of doing it so i havent gona change to a new hooklength to save time, iv got hair rigs all tied and ready just incase i dont have a solution

Comment

im sure i was a carper in another life. lol. i had a similar problem with corn. if i used anything bigger than a 16 hook , my bites almost stopped. i was missing a few bites so changed to a hair rig with 3 bits of corn with a 14 and hardly missed a bite. to be honest i didnt get as many, but the bites were really positive.
            :confused: WOW, things have changed.:confused:

Comment

Originally posted by hurricane View Post
              Have you tried using a baiting needle,insert it from tho open end and out the rounded end,hook it to the bend of the hook and pull all the way back through,remove the needle and twist the hook 45deg and ease back so the bend rests on the open edge with just the point exposed.works for me. Regards Peter.
              Try it this way if you dont want to use a hair it works well.

Comment

yeah what baiting needle do you use? the black korum one? or orange drennan one?

Comment

I have various needles but, a size 0.75 or 1mm crochet hook is perfect.(far more durable and cheaper). Regards Peter.

Comment

Working...
                  X