Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Missing Bites?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Bites?

Hi.

I'm fishing a lake that is well stocked, and have carp (mostly?), but also bream, tench, chub, ide, roach and perch.
    I'm a keen margin/close feature float fisherman, so although I would probably be better off with a pole, I float fish instead (its what i've always had, and what I was bought for my b'day - also giving me the option of going further afield if I want).

After fishing the venue a few times, i've learnt and found luncheon meat to be the best all round bait.
    Basically what I have is a 3xno.4 float, size 12 hook, and about a 1x1cm cube of meat. I've tried sinking the hook into the meat and also hooking it so the hook shows. The later does work better, but seem to be still missing bites.
    Line is (from a rather poor memory) somewhere around 5-8lb.

Generally, i'm fishing no more than 15ft away (quite often closer), so sometimes only a few ft of line between the rod and float.
    However, I do also get the same problem when I do fish further away (30ft), and have a good amount of line (most of the time tight) between the rod and float.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

You could try a smaller hook I would start with a 16, Make sure you plum up so you don't have loads of line laying on the bottom, always sink your line and keep it tight, Also a insert waggler may help.

Hope that help.

Comment

Thanks Scutty.

Whats the theory behind a smaller hook? Somebody did say it too me before, but was thinking a larger hook would offer a better hook vs. bite?

Comment

Try fishing the meat on a hair rig, these carp are not always as stupid as they seem, some of the bigger older wiser ones know how a bait should react, having your bait away from the hook can more often than not fool the fish into a clean take.
        [CENTER][URL="http://www.talkangling.co.uk/upload/blog.php?b=31&goto=next"]Life at the bottom A noobs guide (My Blog, Paul Law)[/URL][/CENTER]
        [CENTER] [/CENTER]
        [CENTER][B][U]Carlsburg Disgorgers[/U][/B][/CENTER]
        [CENTER] [/CENTER]
        [CENTER]Carlsburg don't make disgorgers but if the did they would be the best Disgorgers in the World.[/CENTER]
        [CENTER] [/CENTER]
        [CENTER] [/CENTER]

Comment

Thanks for the advice Justin.

Might give a hair rig a go, but would be good to try and solve the issue on the hook too (the carp at the lake seem to be ok with straight on the hook at the mo, and had a run yesterday evening which shot off into the middle of the lake and snapped my line :doh.

Comment

Just a thought reading other threads and this one.
            Lets say the depth is 2ft, and i'm fishing 3ft, is this likely to make a huge difference in fish to bite ratio?

Comment

Originally posted by shiny_bottom_1 View Post
              Thanks Scutty.

Whats the theory behind a smaller hook? Somebody did say it too me before, but was thinking a larger hook would offer a better hook vs. bite?
              Less chance of them noticing it and spitting it out, You will be surprised how easily they can get rid once they sus something's not quite right.

You may want to get yourself a copy of the Korda Underwater Carp Fishing vids, I learned a lot from watching them.

Comment

this happened to me before i used a 14 hook and on luncheon meat i would miss but any other bait i was not missing any i font out it was th luncheon meat it was yo hard so now i use choped ham and pork its softer but still the same kind of bait hope this helps

Comment

i suffer similar problems on a local water. but a lot of the time, its because there are very small silvers in the swim that are nibbling the bait. just for experiments sake, try sticking a maggot on the hook at the time you think your missing lots and see what happens. you might find (as i did) that the swim is full of 2 inch roach that cant physically manage a 1cm cube.
                  north nott's member and serial buyer of stuff i dont need :D

Comment

Cheers Danny - Might give that a go.

Cheers Richard - I was thinking that, and it had been the case also when I was using smaller cubes. But I use quite chunky pieces now, and would be surprised if anything that small would manage to bite it, let alone drag the float under (But I have seen what your describing, with small downward movements on the float, but I wait until it submerges or looks like a good bite).

I am actually thinking the hook length might be the problem, and that it is a fish swimming by and catching the hook (the evening I went the other work, out of the 11 fish, 3 were foul hooked).

Hmmmm....will keep experimenting.

Comment

Are the bites you are getting proper bites from Carp?

They could be smaller fish. Maybe try using a bigger peice of meat?

Try using a hair rig and a smaller hook perhaps a 14 or 16...

Comment

Cheers ND.

Big chunks being between 7-10mm cubes. I'm sure I can see the smaller fish bitting, as the float just bobs, but the bites are hard and clear.

I think (if I go this evening), I might try a 14 and see if that helps. How large a fish would a 14 hold?

Comment

Originally posted by shiny_bottom_1 View Post

I think (if I go this evening), I might try a 14 and see if that helps. How large a fish would a 14 hold?
                          thats an interesting one.
                          depends a lot on the hook i suppose. ive landed 20lb carp on drennan 14's.
                          north nott's member and serial buyer of stuff i dont need :D

Comment

It also might be worth trying a hard bait like a big pellet to see if you still get problems because it may be small fish.

Comment

@ Richard - 20lb! Thats what I catch in a day lol Seriously though, it should be fine then, as the carp are up to 14lb on the lake.

@ ND - Pellet doesnt work so well on the lake (and can only use the pellets from the shop at the lake). Sweetcorn is a little harder I guess, but doesn't do anywhere as good as meat either. Maybe I should add some toughening glue around the meat lol
                              Paste and prawn do well, but taking my little brother in law this evening, so might try something different bait wise when I go for a full day on Monday.

Comment

Working...
                              X