Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

What causes snapping off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What causes snapping off?

Hello all

Had a day session on a commercial a couple of weeks ago, fished small method feeder. I had 3 feeders and rigs snap off on casting. Any ideas what causes this and how I can prevent it happening? I'm looking at making my own feeders, cuz using shop ones is proving too expensive!

Thanks
    Warm Guinness is better than no Guinness at all!

Could be down to quite a few things,firsly, where abouts is it breaking,is your line broken and hanging when you snap off, or is it breaking at you reel?
    line how old is it and what size bs,
    the eyes on your rod, if worn they could cause you line to fray and eventually break
    the roller on your reel,is that wearing?
    check these out and get back to us

Comment

ur breaking strain on ur line is too light i use 8lb line for comerical carp to a 9lb or 10lb hooklength about 4 inches,, or if ur breaking strain line is tht lb it could wen on the cast the line was caught round the tip of ur rod causin wen u go to punch the method out is got no line to take with it and snapping it it happeing to me wen i first started but i jus steped my tackle up and always check if the line is round the tip or not,, hope this helps.
      Jack.

Comment

when i fish the method i fish 6lb max most time 4lb
        its probly your line is old or its catching on something
        or it could be your useing to big of a feeder for your line
        and any week spot in your line it will break it
        hope this helps

Comment

Hi Dave

Line is Silstar Match Team 0.22 (10lbs) new on this year amd was hanging after snap-off. The rod eyes are OK, same too of the bail arm though I have noticed a very slight rough part on the edge of the spool, so I guess this could have put nicks in the line. I will smooth this off and replace line immediately.

Thanks for the advice

Originally posted by davelincs View Post
          Could be down to quite a few things,firsly, where abouts is it breaking,is your line broken and hanging when you snap off, or is it breaking at you reel?
          line how old is it and what size bs,
          the eyes on your rod, if worn they could cause you line to fray and eventually break
          the roller on your reel,is that wearing?
          check these out and get back to us

Comment

Thanks to everyone who replied. Will also make sure the line isn't snagged round the rod tip. It's not something I am in the habit of checking

Comment

Working...
            X