Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

canoeists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• canoeists

fishing the thames on a match at ham today i saw some canoeists coming down about midway out so put my feeder out about 10 foot they went past fine i turned my back and some canoeist.......... flew threw my peg at about 80 knots about 6 feet from the bank i just managed to catch my rod as he wrapped himself in my line did he stop no just carried on no appology im snapped up and lucky to have my rod, i cant repeat what i said to him and he moved faster than i could. and they wonder why anglers dont like them. i will say that 1 or 2 out of about 100 canoeists today were polite and slowed down. ( not a good ratio is it) what other experiences has anyone had with these people.

local sea scouts, 26 acres and they have to play in front of the only angler. ME.
    Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

unreal they have no consideration 4 anyone other than themselves i actually heard two talking as they went past today they were laughing about snapping anglers lines with there oars

Comment

You think that's bad. I was fishing the canal once and two canoeists were passing by side by side. They were polite, slowed down, said hello etc. Then we heard a loud humming noise. Next thing, a moron on a jet ski.... YES A JET SKI..... came hurtling down the middle of the cut. He saw the canoeists and me an my brother fishing, slowed down slightly with a panicked look on his face, then decided just to speed up and carry on - straight through the centre of the two paddlers and nearly capsizing both!! The wash from the jet ski came over the wall of the cut and soaked me feet!

But there is a balance - we once saw a barge go past with a woman lying topless on the top ! Niiiiiiiiiiice !!
        [I][url]www.aquonix.co.uk[/url]

Comment

Fished a couple of days on the avon recently,probably 50 longboats passed by(had to bring the rods in every time),but every one without exception slowed down,moved to the far side and waved or spoke. it seems its the paddlers that cause most grief.
          Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

Sounds like the idiot knew what he was doing Liam......why else would he pass so close, then you hear them joking about it. Now surely that is criminal damage, but would be impossible to prove. Now if you get your biggest lead and chuck it out putting a hole through his canoe then that's just an accident too isn't it ?

Neilio.
            The inspiration behind the Maver C-Loc method feeder.

Comment

Originally posted by Neilio View Post
              . Now if you get your biggest lead and chuck it out putting a hole through his canoe then that's just an accident too isn't it ?

Neilio.

just so happens i have lots of such leads
              north nott's member and serial buyer of stuff i dont need :D

Comment

might have to dig out the sea fishing gear and set up a special rod next time........

Comment

It does make you laugh when us anglers are the only ones to pay for the privilage to use the lake's and waterways in this country!! And once more we are governed by a multidude of by laws ect. You have to ask why do canoists and other members of the boating fraternity get away without paying a bean!!

Its surprising that there is anothere source of revenue smacking the EA in the face and they choose to ignore it!!!

Can anyone enlighten me as to why this is??

Comment

Why do we get clobbered

It does make you laugh when us anglers are the only ones to pay for the privilage to use the lake's and waterways in this country!! And once more we are governed by a multidude of by laws ect. You have to ask why do canoists and other members of the boating fraternity get away without paying a bean!!

Its surprising that there is anothere source of revenue smacking the EA in the face and they choose to ignore it!!!

Can anyone enlighten me as to why this is??

Comment

I always find that a pouchful of maggots soaked in the stinkiest glug works as a good deterrent, also a pouch full of pea gravel works well. Not my fault if they approach my swim while I'm feeding.

Comment

I think you will find barge owners have to pay fairly heafty fees to use the waterwyas.... but not to the EA

Comment

A nice hard ball of ground bait in the lughole will also have the desired effect on our fellow river user's!!

Comment

canoeists seem to fall into the same catagory as cyclists on canal tow paths its their right of way & every body has to move, if youre tackle gets damaged its tough. i always try to get on with boaters, canoeists, cyclists, dog walkers etc its a shame some of these people dont show us the respect we deserve, given the amount of money we pay to the ea through our license fees & the unpaid work some of us do to look after our water ways.
                            please let me draw a flyer

Comment

I am sure cyclists need a licence to use towpaths - I believe it is free, but they should have it... used to be the case anyway??????

Comment

Working...
                              X