Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Any tips at all for a beginner. Roach Fishing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips at all for a beginner. Roach Fishing.

Been fishing just over a month now, I catch absolutely loads of Perch. I would really love to start catching a few more Roach though. Any tips that could help me would be hugely appreciated.

I fish with a 6m whip, which is not elasticated. I fish with red maggots and use different ground baits each time.
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][B][COLOR="Blue"]The difficulty lies, not in the new ideas, but in escaping the old ones, which ramify, for those brought up as most of us have been, into every corner of our minds.[/COLOR][/B][/FONT] :cool:

Where are you fishing, as there are several baits that roach love in preference to red maggots, try punched bread fished over a ball of liquidized bread, hemp can bring a bigger stamp of fish, and caster will always see a roach or two take them.

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Brian G View Post
      Where are you fishing, as there are several baits that roach love in preference to red maggots, try punched bread fished over a ball of liquidized bread, hemp can bring a bigger stamp of fish, and caster will always see a roach or two take them.
      Im Fishing On The Canal Mate. I will definitely try bread next time then. Where would you say to fish? depth wise?
      [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][B][COLOR="Blue"]The difficulty lies, not in the new ideas, but in escaping the old ones, which ramify, for those brought up as most of us have been, into every corner of our minds.[/COLOR][/B][/FONT] :cool:

Comment

Try having a read of these Tom although the first one covers bloodworm and joker, part of it has a piece on fishing the bread and was done on the cut at the back of Sainsburys in Wallsal
        UK fishing bloodworm and Joker by Lee Woodhouse and Brian Gardner
        Fishing the bread punch, Talk angling feature

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Brian, Ill Give It A Study

Comment

Hi Tom

If you are 'free' tomorrow, Sprucey will be fishing the punch and caster probably on a peg between the Fingerpost pub and the walkover bridge on the junction with the Extension canal.

I'm sure you'd pick up a few tips from him if you watch him quietly.

When I fish the punch down there I feed liquidised bread (not groundbait) on two lines at the bottom of both shelves - generally 4-5mtrs down the inside and 9-10 mtrs across, dependent on peg. The second line will probably be too far across for you with your whip, so I'd probably jjust focus on the inside/going into the track.

If you havent got one, get a 'clip on' pole pot to help you cup the liquidised bread in.

Make sure you plumb up carefully, and fish the punch about 1nch or so off bottom so you don't start picking up a bit of weed.

What line and rigs are you using? At this time of the year I 'step up' up to 0.08 (1.5lb in old money), using a 0.2 or 0.3g float dependent on conditions. make sure it's dotted right down with just 1/4inch bristle showing (bulk of 10s about 15-18 ins from the hook with a couple of smaller dropper shot between the bulk and hook) also make sure you use a fine(ish) wire hook in a 20 or 22
            Even when I draw a half decent peg fate conspires against me...............:(

Comment

i wouldnt no too much about canals but if your fishing for silver on a comercial the fish a 3 meter whip and have it so you swing them in to hand i.e three meter rig. use hemp and feed hemp

Comment

I'm not going to be free tomorrow sadly TK.

My rig is, 4m of line, 4lb line and size 20 hook. When will you next be there? I could come down and pick a few tips up from you maybe?

Comment

Not sure when I'll be down to fish thereTom - probably for a match in 3 weeks time (I'm tied up with other matches at the mo)

There is also a small club match there on this Sunday, might be worth a look - I'll probably manage to pop and see how they are getting on for an hour or so
                  Even when I draw a half decent peg fate conspires against me...............:(

Comment

if u have only got a 4m whip. i would fish the caster down the track. feed little and often

Comment

Working...
                    X