Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Confussed... Help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confussed... Help please.

o.k i want to catch large carp, but i dont plan to go "just" carp fishing..

i need to buy a new rod and reel ( see intro thread ) so my local fishing shop tells me, but he has said i need a feeder rod?!?..

is this right?..

i want to leger fish, but ive been told i dont need a carp rod, and then i get told i do..lol

what is it that i can get, that will be good enough for big carp?..

i only lake fish, and i dont really want to float fish anymore, so whats the best rod for what i want to do?...

i really dont want to buy a rod, then ina few weeks time, by another, and another etc..

many thanks, and once i know what rod i actually need, then i will be after reel advice!....lol

Tom.
    [SIZE="3"][FONT="System"][COLOR="YellowGreen"]fishing, deck chair, cup of tea, custard creams, and some good ground bait.... hummm... for everything else, there's [COLOR="Red"]Maste[/COLOR][COLOR="DarkOrange"]rcard[/COLOR]....haha[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

If it is purely big carp then I would recommend a carp rod and bait runner reel. These are best used for carp over 15lbs. A normal feeder rod will cope with the odd fish over 20lbs but if you are casting long distance or heavy rigs you may struggle. I fish for carp on a lake where the average size is 8lbs but with fish to over 30lbs. I use ordinary light gear casting small feeders up to 40yrds. Ive landed fish to 18lbs with out problems.

Comment

i dont big carp fish myself but everyone seems to fish 1 or 2 carp (fox warriors i have been told there mint) and bob church runner reels.

Comment

o.k well what i dont want to do is get a rod, that cant cope..

where i fish, there are 2 lakes, 1 with 10lb ish carp, the top lake has 28lbs + carp..

if i got a carp rod, would that still be o.k for the smaller carp, untill i move up to the bigger lake?..

whats a runner reel?
        [SIZE="3"][FONT="System"][COLOR="YellowGreen"]fishing, deck chair, cup of tea, custard creams, and some good ground bait.... hummm... for everything else, there's [COLOR="Red"]Maste[/COLOR][COLOR="DarkOrange"]rcard[/COLOR]....haha[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

I'd get an Avon/Quiver rod then you'll have the best of all worlds - sort of a Daley Thompson of the rod world.... not the best at any one discipline but more than capable of dabbling in them all.

Comment

would it cope with the bigger carp over 25lbs?..

Comment

I bet it would, if it wasn't a snaggy swim. But if you're targeting fish that big then maybe you should consider buying gear that's suited to it. I thought when you said you're not fishing just for carp you was after an all rounder ?
              Are you thinking more rod-pods & bite alarms ? (camping with fishing gear )

Comment

nope...lol

i have a set-up, but its not suited for bigger carp, nor is it idea, its a float fishing set-up, and now i want to do carpmainly, but have the option to catch other things..
                but where i go, is mainly carp...

an i want to use both lakes, and one lake is for big carp, 25lb+ and i dont want a s et-up where if i do get lucky one weekend, its takes me for a swim!...lol

Comment

Originally posted by GotTackle View Post
                  would it cope with the bigger carp over 25lbs?..
                  Barbel quiver would.

Just take your time and lay off bullying the fish in.

Comment

if you really want to go for big carp 20lb plus i would personnally go for a carp rod and Baitrunner reel,And a rod pod set up with alarm.I fish for carp and bream the carp i normally catch are between 5lb and 12lb and i use a feeder rod mine is a shakespear omni x 11ft feeder with 2 tips.by the way a Baitrunner reel has a lever on the back so the spool can be set to a certain tension when clicked off the carp can run with your bait which sets of your alarm which your line runs through then when youpick the rod up as you strike the lever clicks back and engages the spool to the drag to play the fish.You have 2 drag setting on a baitrunner one for freespool and one for when you are playing the fish after you have struck. hope this helps.

Comment

pretty much as all above have said, but it doesnt have to be a baitrunner. you can use anything really. just set the drag loose, put your hand on the spool as you pull into the fish rather than strike and tighten the drag accordingly. to be fair, you could probably do with a 2.25- 2.5 test curve rod. thats light enough to have sport with the smaller uns, but will also handle the bigger fish and baits. it dont take much to put a bend in the rod during casts if your loading up with pva bags full of stuff.

also, if your definately only going to use one rod, then just use a pair of bank sticks. one rod on a buzzbar allways ends up on the deck with the pod in a tangled mess lol.
                      Last edited by richard e.; 1 October 2009, 12:30 AM.
                      north nott's member and serial buyer of stuff i dont need :D

Comment

Working...
                      X