Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Rod + Line advice..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod + Line advice..

im going to be buying a rod from Mac hopfully..

the rod has an 8lb max, but what i wanted to know, is why, and what does it mean, i will be going for carp, and other mixed fish, but what i want to know is, if i got a good reel, and wanted to put a 10lb line on it, what would happen, or why should i not do it..

im new, so sorry for all the questions, its only so i dont mess up....lol

Thanks.
    [SIZE="3"][FONT="System"][COLOR="YellowGreen"]fishing, deck chair, cup of tea, custard creams, and some good ground bait.... hummm... for everything else, there's [COLOR="Red"]Maste[/COLOR][COLOR="DarkOrange"]rcard[/COLOR]....haha[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

this is the rod il be getting hopfully: Daiwasports.co.uk - Proteus Leger

its the 12ft.
    [SIZE="3"][FONT="System"][COLOR="YellowGreen"]fishing, deck chair, cup of tea, custard creams, and some good ground bait.... hummm... for everything else, there's [COLOR="Red"]Maste[/COLOR][COLOR="DarkOrange"]rcard[/COLOR]....haha[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

dude if your fishing the feeder and going for 5-6lb carp then 8lb line is well enough then use a 0.17mm hook lengh!!i have a middy feeder rod that will handle upto 12lb main line but i wouldnt ever think of using it!! if your wanting to bag up on puddle pigs and the odd silver then think about the way you play the fish!!
      [B][COLOR="blue"]"QUALITY AND VALUE HANDMADES AT THE RIGHT PRICE"[/COLOR][/B]

[B][SIZE="7"][COLOR="blue"]'I.L FLOATS'[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Comment

i do play the fish, i dont just wack them in, what im saying, if i run a 10lb line on a rob that recomends an 8lb max line what;s the difference, what i dont want to do is use the rod in the waters with 25lb carp, if i wont be able to bring them in, it would save me the trouble..

if it is strong enough,and i play the fish, am i o.k to go for 25lb carp in the other lake, or would i need a stronger set-up?

Comment

The rod you have chosen is capable of landing fish over 20lb(most rods are with care and skill and an amount of luck),yes you can put 10lb line through it,but its a bit pointless as the rod can only apply so much pressure,if you intend to target the larger fish,a carp rod would be more suitable(teamed with a baitrunner),if you buy one with a 2-2.5lb test curve it will handle fish from a few pounds to the upper 20s,you will be able to fish carp style(3 oz leads and boilies) or feeder fish(including methods)and even float fish in the margins,but it will only be suitable for fish above the 4lb mark,it wont be suitable for light lines and small hooks.hope this clears it up a bit mate.Regards Peter.
          Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

You need to be honest about what you're likely to be catching.

If it's mainly carp to 8lb, with skimmers and small tench, then the Proteus with 5 - 6lb line and a 4lb hooklength will be fine. You'll have a decent chance of getting a 20 in on that gear if they're about.

I've landed a 16lb carp on a half pound TC rod, so a Proteus, which is about a 1.25lb TC would be more than adequate.

However if you're expecting to be catching 15 - 20 lb carp regularly, then stepping up would be wise. You'll risk hook pulls on smaller stuff though.

Comment

To be truthfull quite a few lines differ from the breaking strain sugested and most anglers are looking at diameters (cant spell lol) but i agree a good 8 pound line like maxima or other favoured lines will cope quite easily with carp upto 20 pound if played correctly. It all depends on what hooklenths you will use if you never go above 8 pound then you dont need heavier line.

Comment

thanks everyone..

that clears it up perfectly.

Comment

Working...
                X