Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

float making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• float making

as some people oin here will know i suffer if really bad back issues so asfter talking to some of the lads its was mentioned why dont i have a go at float making ,i used to maked hoods for falcons to doing tricky work is not and issue wilth my hands
    now the question iis is it better getting a set of templates made up in various sizes in the range and style your making to attach to the lathe ,aslo what imcrimments do the float sizes goes up in i.e is it 1% or 1.5 % ect ect
    here is a pic of what im talking about and you will see the templates

You made those floats?
    The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but obtainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
    [url]http://carpsmart.net/ourshop/prod_957389-MARINE-SUPREME-10kg.html[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Adamc View Post
      You made those floats?
      no mate read my post

Comment

O right lol sorry
        The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but obtainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
        [url]http://carpsmart.net/ourshop/prod_957389-MARINE-SUPREME-10kg.html[/url]

Comment

Hi Ian,
          Nice to see this picture taken from my website!
          Those templates were made for me by an engineer who had a copy of one of my favorite floats.
          In his computer he made an exact drawing of the floatbody using the 'CAD' drawing program. Once the shape was digitally stored he could make different sizes of it and "print" them out in metal.

Some of these templates you can make yourself;

1. Take a favorite float or a good picture out of a tackle catalogue.
          2. Make paper copies of them with a copying machine at the office (You can increase the prints by 105% or 95% when you want them smaller in order to get different sizes.)
          3. Cut out the pattern with a very sharp hobby knife or scalpel. (Now you have paper templates!)
          4. Glue these paper templates onto plexiglass or other hard synthetic.
          5. Carefully cut out the shape using a fine Jigsaw.
          6. polish the edge with very fine sandingpaper (P600) to get a smooth surface.
          Now your templates are ready for use!

You'll still need a copier on your lathe that sensors the template and cuts out the shape in balsa or foam.
          Last edited by Roha; 4 October 2009, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roha View Post
            Hi Ian,
            Nice to see this picture taken from my website!
            Those templates were made for me by an engineer who had a copy of one of my favorite floats.
            In his computer he made an exact drawing of the floatbody using the 'CAD' drawing program. Once the shape was digitally stored he could make different sizes of it and "print" them out in metal.

Some of these templates you can make yourself;

1. Take a favorite float or a good picture out of a tackle catalogue.
            2. Make paper copies of them with a copying machine at the office (You can increase the prints by 105% or 95% when you want them smaller in order to get different sizes.)
            3. Cut out the pattern with a very sharp hobby knife or scalpel. (Now you have paper templates!)
            4. Glue these paper templates onto plexiglass or other hard synthetic.
            5. Carefully cut out the shape using a fine Jigsaw.
            6. polish the edge with very fine sandingpaper (P600) to get a smooth surface.
            Now your templates are ready for use!

You'll still need a copier on your lathe that sensors the template and cuts out the shape in balsa or foam.
            h ronald was only showing the pictures of the templates so people new what i was talking about .i totally understand what your saying regarding the copier as when i was a falcony hood maker that is waht i used to do the make the patterns different size's for different falcons .
            ill keep my eye out now a EMCO Unimat type 3 and then go from there ronald ,hope the email i sent you regarding the cnc was of any use to what u was looking for
            regards
            ian

Comment

I think a cnc lathe is best for making exact thesame float bodies over and over again. You can store the shape/pattern digital so you don't have to take much trouble in making the templates.

Comment

Originally posted by ian groves View Post
                ill keep my eye out now a EMCO Unimat type 3 and then go ian
                Any lathe will work aslong as it has an automatic side feed on it ! Certainly doesnt have to be an Emco other no name lathes are as accurate......

Comment

Working...
                X