Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Missed Bites..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stevelockett
    replied
    Similar to Hurricane's suggestion, try dapping with the pole. 18" of 8lb line, 16 elastic, size 8 or 10 hook and just lower the crust until it touches the surface with no line on the water. The fish will hook themselves against the elastic and bolt.
    Not pretty, not everyone would want to do it, but can be very effective.

Leave a comment:

• stkflote
    replied
    5lb line,s not strong enough for higham farm the fish go big there ,you will get
    smashed a lot on five lb,
    your hook ought to be bigger as well at least a ten

Leave a comment:

• bigjon
    replied
    My old man used to do a similar thing but with soaked Pedigree Chum Mixer, worked very well with just a few inches of line dropped amongst the reeds when the carp were up and you could see them knocking the stems searching for food.

Some places ban mixers, but if they're allowed try soaking them for a bit in some water flavoured with oxo, they always used to go very well.

Leave a comment:

• Mickangler
    replied
    Originally posted by hurricane View Post
    For freelining in the magins,the deadliest metod i know is to hair rig a oiece of crust and lower it to just lay on the surface under the rod tip,with the rod in 2 rests and the baitrunner on(or clutch set lightly)and wait for the fireworks.for under the float pinch on a decent piece of flake and let the bite fully develop before striking,in both cases a size 6 or 8 would be my choice.

Right Pete,i'm with you now,gonna try this method next time..cheers.

Leave a comment:

• hurricane
    replied
    For freelining in the magins,the deadliest metod i know is to hair rig a oiece of crust and lower it to just lay on the surface under the rod tip,with the rod in 2 rests and the baitrunner on(or clutch set lightly)and wait for the fireworks.for under the float pinch on a decent piece of flake and let the bite fully develop before striking,in both cases a size 6 or 8 would be my choice.

Leave a comment:

• Mickangler
    replied
    Originally posted by hurricane View Post
    I wouldve freelined crust on the surface,if not fished bigger pieces of flake shallow,in both cases on a bigger hook.
    Can you elaborate Pete.

Leave a comment:

• hurricane
    replied
    I wouldve freelined crust on the surface,if not fished bigger pieces of flake shallow,in both cases on a bigger hook.

Leave a comment:

• Mickangler
    started a topic Missed Bites..

Missed Bites..

Well ,came away from Higham Farm today a tad dissapointed,fishing the float using sweet corn, castor,dead maggott,not all at once mind,with only 5 small roach caught after 4 hours,anyway last hour decided to have a crack at the carp that were coming to the surface in the margins to the left of me.

Fishing about a foot deep with a small piece of bread ,i was soon into a fish which turned out to be a 15 pound mirror..very pleased,so quickley on with another piece of bread....now after numerous bites..i'm talking 20 odd here..kept missing em...maybe the one and only carp was sheer luck....???What do you think i could have done different so as more fish ended up on the bank...very frustrated fisher man...by the way i was using a drennen size 14 to 5ib
Working...
X