Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Mick Wilkinson floats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mick Wilkinson floats

How often is the site updated as I have tried various times over past few months but all items are shown out of stock. I am aware that he builds up the merchandise and then sells rather than keep people waiting. I was wondering when the last time there was stock and if any one new of when we can expect to see any in the future. -Kookie

every 2 weeks on a friday i do beleave i got some more about 2-3 weeks ago.

Comment

Kookie what you looking for mate as Malman , Hillbilly and Ackoo do excellent hand mades as well .

Comment

Mick Wilkinson floats are added on a random basis and not every 2 weeks on a Friday, you just have to keep on checking the website and be lucky to drop on when there is stock.

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

Comment

Last week I checked the MW site also. On his homepage he writes;
          All MW Float's Designs Are Covered Under International Copyright Laws.

Because I had never heard of such a law and see that many other (English) floatmakers produce thesame floatpatterns I wonder if this statement is true?

(MW floats are becoming rather expensive when you transform the English Pound into Euro's on his site! I've never seen such high priced polefloats just made of balsawood. €4,50 to €5,00 is normal?)

Comment

Ive been checking the MW site cosntantly over the last few weeks and they always seem to be out of stock.

You can get some of his floats on ebay but you have to pay stupid amounts.

Comment

Maybe these floats are interesting to all!
              http://www.geerwedstrijdpennen.nl/N_...rijdpennen.nl/

use the google translator for a beter understanding of the site!

They are 4.25 euros each. From what i understand hand made not from balsa though, i think ROHACELL which is cheaper than balsa from what they tell me. Only the initial outlay for rohacell is more sa one must buy lager quantities.
              I have a few of these and they are very well made ,well centered floats! I mean if you turm them between ur fingers they only turn ever so slightly in an oval motion.. All other hand made floats i have seen are alot worse even my own!!

@ Roha how much do your floats retail at in the shops lets say at this place? Voorhuis Hengelsport Albergen: twente-karper-witvis-molens-hengels-roofvis

Comment

mw floats

some on e bay now

Comment

Hi Andrew,

I'm curious about your informant that the Rohacell would be cheaper than balsa because it's certainly not! If Rohacell was cheaper the Bulgarian and Italian float factories would change to this material immediately because it has lots of advantages over balsawood.

Comment

Originally posted by Roha View Post
                    Hi Andrew,

I'm curious about your informant that the Rohacell would be cheaper than balsa because it's certainly not! If Rohacell was cheaper the Bulgarian and Italian float factories would change to this material immediately because it has lots of advantages over balsawood.
                    hi ronald

Ah ok i thought i read it in one of your post somewhere on another forum!I will try and find the post/s if i feal away.....
                    So what are we talking then double the price of balsa or a few cents?What the factories would or wouldnt do and or why is beyond me i am afraid!
                    I dont use enough to justify the outlay, the rohacel i do have, 4 plates, i got for free.Havnt got round to using it yet or putting it to the test.Are these advantages minimal or are we talking leaps and bounds? I know your into it !But are the manufactuers into homogenic materials that all carry the same weight and or density?

You seemed suprised that a balsa float would have such a high asking price, so what would be the correct price then lets say for a hand made balsa float in relation to a hand made rohacel float bassed upon material costs alone?
                    I would imagine that they are both as work intensive as each other!

How much are your floats over the counter in albergen?????
                    Last edited by andrew65; 28 October 2009, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Commercial floatmakers like the Bulgarian and Italian factories monitor the price of materials very carefully because they want to make a profit as big as possible.(That's natural in commercial business)
                      If Rohacell would be cheaper they wouldn't hesitate in changing over to this product in stead of balsa.

I have no idea what Voorhuis asks for his floats. Maybe it's better to contact him?
                      (Just made a few Rohacells and balsa's for him some time ago. Maybe there are some left over. I don't think they will cost you €5,00 or even €4,50 though)

Rohacell floats will last much longer than the balsa floats so it must be evident they cost more.

Still my question isn't answered;

Is it possible to protect certain floatpatterns by (international) law lik the MW site says?
                      Last edited by Roha; 28 October 2009, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Rohacell floats will last much longer than the balsa floats so it must be evident they cost more.

Hi ronald

MMMM well wouldnt this be a good reason not to use rohacel looking at it from a commercial point of view?
                        If your saying it is more expensive then i belive you only i thought you wrote something else before .Mind you retail price isnt always an indication of cost price so no not eveident but very probable!

If a patern is truelly yours i think it maybe posable to protect it! Hey but i havnt seen any that are not clones of clones of clones.

I had them in my hand in albergen if i remember correctly they retail above the 4 euros.Hey but my memory isnt that good!
                        So what should the difference be in price between two hand made floats one made of rohacell and one of balsa? Lets say exactly the same patern size and weight! Hand Made !!!

MVG

andy
                        Last edited by andrew65; 28 October 2009, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew65 View Post
                          So what should the difference be in price between two hand made floats one made of rohacell and one of balsa? Lets say exactly the same patern size and weight! Hand Made !!!
                          MVG andy
                          It's off topic but;
                          You tell me?! As you’ve been able to read about the differences between Rohacell PMI foam and balsa in some topics at the National Dutch angling forum.

Comment

It's off topic but;
                            You tell me?! As you’ve been able to read about the differences between Rohacell PMI foam and balsa in some topics at the National Dutch angling forum.
                            Hi Ronald

Well i woulndt know! Havnt got a clue really i was only reacting on your remark as to price in relationship with materials used. I thought it an interesting statement you made .For clarity i will quote you see under:

(MW floats are becoming rather expensive when you transform the English Pound into Euro's on his site! I've never seen such high priced polefloats just made of balsawood. €4,50 to €5,00 is normal?)
                            Ok your right you took it of topic never the less interesting i hope the topic starter doesnt have a problem if so I AM SORRY! Really!

Anyway the way i see things is 4 or 5 euros for that matter is alot of money for a pole float.If someone wants to pay that then ok fine with me infact i have a few GEERS floats which i paid 4,25 for ,exellent floats well centerd better than any hand mades i have had my hands on ,even yours and my own. Mind you havnt had Micks or many others in my hands as yet.

The question that arose on reading your statement was," does it take any less time or skill making a float from balsa as you and others have lead me to believe that it is the time you pay for when buying hand made floats and not the material".Thats why i was asking for clarity from you as it would seem from what you implied[see above]that this isnt quit true!
                            Ronald I always had you down for a bit of a GURU on the float front so i always read and listened to what you had to say i found your remark contradictive sorry !Well perhaps youve changed your oppinion now!

Even though i make some of my own floats i dont have a problem with what is available in the shops ,ok i am not bagging up on carp waters i fish naturals so extra strong isnt a pre lol lol however those i have made myself.
                            They ,shop bought,last me along time even though they get really used over and over.
                            Mind you i am still busy with getting my S.hit together on the making front so perhaps i too will change in the future ....

MVG

andy

Comment

Working...
                            X