Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

pike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pike

fished today, pole for livebait and perch and a rod for pike, caught a roach put it as livebait and within 5 mins i was landing a jack about 5 lbs, the rest of the day i didnt have a run at all on the pike rod. is this because pike have there own territory and other pike dont feed there or that the pike stopped feeding, my mate had a jack about 3 lbs about 3 hours later 5 pegs down

First off mate,well done on your fish,not a monster but it could have been.pike will often congregate in groups but other than breeding time the smaller fish will be wary of being too close to the big girls,some waters do tend to have feeding times and you may not have a run for hours,then bingo its as if someone has flicked a switch,on my water first light almost gaurantees a run,yet dusk and through the night rarely produces(i often reel mine in by 10pm and get a good kip but make sure the baits are back in the water before first light). like any fish,lots of things will dictate the location/feeding habits of the pike,the old adage of find the baitfish and the pike wont be far away is a good one to follow,but even when you find the pike it doesent always follow that you will catch,red letter days come when everything drops into place i.e. pike in you swim ,in a feeding mood combined with the right bait presented the way they want it,some days it can be livebait,another day they will be ignored and a dead coarse fish will do the trick, the next trip sea baits is the winning bait,static,wobbled,popped up or suspended all have thier day,it can just be a case of right place right time right bait/ presentation or not,the best advice i can give is keep at it mate,it took me 10 months before i caught my first double, and i had to endure (and still do) my fair share of blanks.Regards Peter.
    Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

when do pike breed and are they very edible
      at the moment the pike rod is my 2nd/bonus rod as i am mainly a coarse fisherman but want to be an allrounder and i like the fight off the couple i have caught
      my mate hit one yesterday and it wouldnt move off the botom just slowly swam around until the hook pulled, he was gutted
      Last edited by hawb81; 27 October 2009, 11:33 PM.

Comment

They breed late feb / early march mate.
        Yes they are edible, but don't eat them mate, they've been on the earth for 80 million years - they deserve better!

I caught my first double on my 5th trip. I got my second double about 6 months later and that stood as my PB for about 10 years. I still haven't had a twenty! Do a bit of lure fishing if you get the chance. I think catching on artificials is the most exciting area of our sport.
        [I][url]www.aquonix.co.uk[/url]

Comment

Pike,like most fish breed when the weather conditions are best for them,as predators they are programmed to breed before other fish in order for thier young to be more developed ready to take advantage of the later spawning hatchlings, between FEB & MAR is an average but does depend on weather,All fish are edible but in this day and age i would advize against even mentioning it(and they taste like crap)as theres alot of ill feeling towards taking any coarse fish for food.Remember to keep a close eye on the spare rod as a deep hooked pike can be a nightmare to unhook safely. Regards Peter.

Comment

the spare rod is right next to me and the line runs through an alarm, my mate said wait for the run to stop and the line to go slack then when the 2nd run starts the pike has turned the fish and to strike then

Comment

I always use 2 sets of trebles. Then, as a pike will often grab a fish across it's middle before turning it, it will have at least one of the sets of trebles in its jaws, so when you wind down and strike, you should get a hook hold. Wind down until you feel the weight of the fish and it puts a bend in the rod - the fish then feels the resistance, opens it mouth a bit to try to spit the bait and you strike to set the hooks. As long as his jaws are clamped shut, you are less likely to set the hooks as the nothing will move. That's my method anyway. The longer you leave it the more likely A. the fish will be deep hooked or B. the fish may feel resistance and spit the bait. If you strike early and miss the fish, just console yourself in the fact tht it was probably a small one! Most of mine are anyway, lol.

Tight lines mate

Comment

im only using a single size 10 treble hook, through the lip on a paternoster and by the dorsal when suspended

Comment

If you use two sets on a suspended livebait, you can hook in the lip and and in the pectoral muscle. That way, as long as you add some weight just above the trace, the bait shouldn't swim around and tangle up the line.

I have to say, I have only ever livebaited once, so no expert - I just know what I have read. I prefer deads (or 'stiffies' as a fellow piker used to call them!!) and lures.

Comment

Welcome to Pike Online website you will find this useful mate.

Comment

Working...
                    X