Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Stick Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stick Fishing

I appreciate this is a very broad question but I could do with some tips on stick fishing.

I fished today for a few hours on the river and granted it was carrying a bit more water than normal but i found it very difficult to say the least!

My main problem was getting the correct depth. In the past (many years ago) when i used to fish rivers every now and then, i'd simply trot a stick through a few times and keep adding depth until it was just tripping bottom. Does this sound right? One spot i tried i ended up fishing about 10ft deep and still wasnt tripping, i appreciate it could have been a really deep spot but would like to know if i'm doing it right?

Also shotting patterns, i strung my shot out but when casting 50% of the time i'd come back with a birds nest which did become annoying!

I did manage 2 nice grayling but would like to refine my skills somewhat as i'm intending on fishing the rivers a bit more this winter and if i carry on the same way as today i can see myself giving it up as a bad job! Now its been at least 6 years since i last fished a river so i appreciate it might take some time to get into the swing of things!

Any replies welcome, Cheers!
    Starbeck Angling Club

[url]http://steveluptonfishing.blogspot.com/[/url]

Right then Steve, where do I start...?? First, you don't always NEED to be on the bottom...
    I've caught in the past at half-depth, foot off etc...But always start there & search around...

As with most fishing situations, its 'On the Day'...But usually for Rivers that are 'Up' with a tinge-on a slightly larger Stick is called for, I can remember, for instance 'easing' a Bulk Shotted 'Wire Stem' version through, with a Centerpin & catching Roach, that you wouldn't even know were there, putting a 'Normal' style rig through...

Also fishing the 'crease' on a risen river, with a standard style Stick, with pairs of eights spread-out can work, with tens towards the bottom, usually catching, when the floats held-back...At the point where they're intercepting the loosfeed....

There's more I could say, of course, but there's summat to be going on with & I'm sure others'll add their input....Happy huntin'

Comment

I fish the stick a fair bit for grayling in the winter and chub and dace in the summer mostly. Steve if you fancy giving it a go fishing the stick on the Tees or Swale for grayling this winter give me a shout. I will try and get my dad to go as he really is good on the stick and taught me what I know.

One thing I will point out is that it is important to use the right type of stick float for the job. If its shallow and streamy a ally stem with a shoulder is best, for deeper and steadier water a pin stick is best and for slower deeper areas a lignum stick is what you want. I don't want to be teaching you to suck eggs but float choice is very important for me.

For shottin patterns I would initially keep it simple with two 8's directly under the float to cock it then a string of evenly spaced double bulked 8's down the line finishing with a couple of 10 droppers depending upon float size. Ideally you want an upstream wind to contorl the line better against the flow when fishing the stick. If there is a downstream wind though you can use backshot a foot above the float to sink the line and try and stop the line getting up stream of the float.

When tying hooklengths on use a 4 turn water knot too as if you use loop to loop the larger knot can cause the trace to spin.

The tangles could be from the way you are casting too. You need to hold the hooklength below the last dropper shot and come round in a sweepind motion before flicking it out under arm and let it land in a traiht line with the hook furthest from you. its hard to explain but easy when shown.

Apart from that I always prefer to use a closed face reel, it stops line tangling coming off the spool and allows better control when trotting. If you have room a 15' rod will allow greater control of the float when trotting, but for most a 13' rod will be enough. Some people prefer a more traditional spliced tip however modern match rods are good and I use a 13' Drennan Matchpro Ultralight or 13' Milo New era Superlight mainly.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Cheers for the responses guys, i'll try put it into practice next time and see if i fair any better.

By the sound of the double number 8's perhaps my 3BB's and a couple of droppers was perhaps rather crude!

In fairness when i got there this morning i'd prepared the worst and didnt really mind if i didnt catch anything so to catch a couple was a bonus, hopefully i can increrase my rewards on my next trip.

Gilbo, i'll keep that offer a trip out in my mind as the swale is only half an hour from me, thanks very much again for both your repllies!
        Starbeck Angling Club

Comment

Main thing to stop tangles is to feather the line as it lands so the hook lands in fromt of the float in a straight line.

Comment

Cheers, i'm going to refine my rigs and hopefully have another go this weekend
            Starbeck Angling Club

Comment

Steve, I have said this to a few people before - get hold of a copy of John Wilson's Go Fishing techniques. This book gives you all the standard rigs and shotting patterns you need and you can adapt them to the conditions or improve them as you like. You may be surprised though that John advocates floats taking swan shots for grayling fishing in certain conditions!! I personally have never used a stick float that takes only no8s, but then I did most of mine on the trent in its 'heyday'.

Good luck pal
              [I][url]www.aquonix.co.uk[/url]

Comment

Cheers, i think i may even have an old vhs somewhere with john wilson stick fishing for grayling, might be worth digging that out too!

Thanks again for all your responses
                Starbeck Angling Club

Comment

Steve, if the river is deep, it can pay to shot your float in the last third or two-thirds...

This too, would help your casting & as Nathan pointed out, feathering the line, helps everthing land in a 'fishing on impact' format...

You can still spread your shot, but just tighter together & of course, there are times when larger shot are called-for...Powerful deep currents etc, but commonsense would tell you this...

In my view, you could do a 'mini-book' on this subject alone, with all the variables ie...
                  Deep & Slow...Deep & Fast...Shallow & Fast...Boily Peg...Long Cast...Light Roach...Pole Sticks
                  Wire Stemmed...Dome Tops (Dragging)...So-on

Comment

These might help you out a bit Steve.

Total Fishing

Total Fishing

Comment

As daceace has already said,if the water is deep or pacey its best to shot only the last 1/3rd or 2/3rds of your rig.If you were struggling to find the correct depth by "tripping" chances are the float wasn't heavy enough for the depth of water and the current was simply wafting the bottom end of your rig.I try and fish with the lightest float i can sensibly get away with using,but f the rivers carrying extra water i'll use a hevier float,and sometimes overshot it and hold it back.
                      Whats a commercial fishery ?

Comment

Once again thanks for all the advice, those articles were brilliant and have certianly given me some food for thought! Its a shame its still only monday! The weekend cant come soon enough!
                        Starbeck Angling Club

Comment

you could pop down your local newsagents and pick up a copy of improve your coarse fishing, Tom Pickering did an article on stick casting techniques etc. in this months mag.

Comment

Go onto You Tube and type in Stick Float Fishing. This may also be of assistance.
                            I got a new rod for the wife. I'll miss her, but it's a quality rod.

Comment

Nice one, i've just watched a couple of good videos, show you about casting and rigs etc. I'll also look out for this months IYCF! Cheers all
                              Starbeck Angling Club

Comment

Working...
                              X