Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

thick weed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thick weed

the top pool on our 2 pools is totally unfishable during the summer, it is choked with weed, if you try to drag it you can pull a mound out but it just fills back up within hours. the pool holds a lot of fish but it is completely unfishable in the summer. does anyone have any experience or advice on killing the weed

Watching this post with interest,as one of our club ponds is just the same,very shallow with crstal clear water but some real lumps in it ,but in summer unfishable due to weed.

Comment

the fishery should av it killed
      work is for people who cant fish---i want a job

Comment

how can it be killed

Comment

What type of weed? String algae? Columbian pond weed? weed isnt a bad thing as its very good for the fish. The weed will take a lot of harmfull toxins out of the water produced by fish. String algae can be got rid off by using chemicals but depending on the size of the lake this may work out expensive. Be care full removing large amounts of weed this can cause other problems and the fish may suffer. If the lake is completly choked up then try raking pegs out. Boring and hard work but is better than adding chemicals. The only true way is to get a Nitrate reduction filter fitted. Nitrate is what the weed feeds on. Nitrate can be reduced by adding large amounts of air to the water so that an oxygen free ion attaches its self to form nitrogen gas or again this can be done by chemical in a filter which is recharged with salt. If its an old lake then desilting will be a good start.

Comment

didn't some fisheries (woodlands view etc) use barley straw bails floating in the water some years back or was that for something else?
            please let me draw a flyer

Comment

Use barley straw if its blanketweed (hairlike green weed). You need to put in the bale in the Spring so that it has a few weeks to get going. It produces enzymes that kill off the weed, but you need to put it in the lake somewhere it will get some sunlight. Should work well if its the first time you've used it.

You can get commercially made powders to add to the lake, some of which are enzyme based, but I wouldn't use these without direction from a fisheries consultant/technician.

Try and get barley straw that hasn't been grown with industrial fertiliser or insecticides.

Have you checked the bio-load in the lake? Excessive weed growth can be a byproduct of high Nitrate levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Frisky Fish View Post
                What type of weed? String algae? Columbian pond weed? weed isnt a bad thing as its very good for the fish. The weed will take a lot of harmfull toxins out of the water produced by fish. String algae can be got rid off by using chemicals but depending on the size of the lake this may work out expensive. Be care full removing large amounts of weed this can cause other problems and the fish may suffer. If the lake is completly choked up then try raking pegs out. Boring and hard work but is better than adding chemicals. The only true way is to get a Nitrate reduction filter fitted. Nitrate is what the weed feeds on. Nitrate can be reduced by adding large amounts of air to the water so that an oxygen free ion attaches its self to form nitrogen gas or again this can be done by chemical in a filter which is recharged with salt. If its an old lake then desilting will be a good start.
                String algae?? Columbian pondweed?? What you been reading mate??
                Last edited by fish farmer; 15 November 2009, 11:58 PM.
                [I][url]www.aquonix.co.uk[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by fish farmer View Post
                  String algae?? Columbian pondweed?? What you been reading mate??
                  Possibly he means Canadian pond weed?

Comment

Stop insulting weed, not all weed are thick.
                    [URL="http://www.steve-hawk.blogspot.com"]http://www.steve-hawk.blogspot.com[/URL]

Comment

Seriously though, if it is Canadian Pondweed you need a tractor and a rake. Makes great compost!

You can kill it with chemicals, but I think that's a job for a professional, as the chemicals are not ones you want to use without training. Most aquaculture professionals would advocate the use of natural methods to solve problems like this, and not chemicals.

Comment

Colombian pond weed ISNT that SKUNK or Purple haze?

Anyway only way to get ride of that is to burn it in a RIZLA!
                        Last edited by andrew65; 16 November 2009, 05:32 PM.

Comment

I have witnessed a similar problem on a local pool. What I have heard is that it needs to be treated in a contrlled way and treated in the winter I willl try and find somemore detail

Comment

weed

Weed problem, or is it that you as a fisherman are not geared up to fish in it???

yes weed can be a problem as you say in shallow clear water.

Weed can be removed by various means and the most cost effective way is to treat with chemicals. (with full permision from the EA and done by a certified contractor)

This is very effective but can lead to a lack of oxygen as the weed breaks down.(short term)

On our lakes we have done most methods of weed control from raking the roots of the weeds out with large drags, to chemical weed killing. The most curious way we have found and is not for every one is to kick start the phosphrous cycle in the lake. This has some suprising positive results.

The lake in question was treated over 2 years with approx 1.5 tonnes of triple phospate.(for ease) or well rotten muck

This coloured up the water and the weed did not grow as there was a lack of sunlight penetrating the water.

plus points there was no weed for about 5 years . The small fish thrived and a larger amout came through to maturity , as there was less preditation by birds ,etc and the smaller fish had more 'food' as the lake was a mass of small invertbrates for them to feed on.

the bad bits were the sacks only come in 50kg's so we nearly sunk the boat .

Dr bruno broughton helped us out with this one.(clever chap)

hope this helps
                            judd

Comment

Ahh, Judd, you met the doc ! Top man Bruno, he taught me when I was a student - did he have his mentaly dog, Doddy, with him??.
                              [I][url]www.aquonix.co.uk[/url]

Comment

Working...
                              X